unreasonable extra charge

Answered!
Richie15
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

unreasonable extra charge

Hi everyone, i recently stayed with a friend at a bnb and we had some friends over but everyone left and only 4 people stayed the night as agreed with the owner. She is currently trying to charge us an extra $500 cause we had visitors, she also wants to charge us an excessive cleaning fee of over $400. We already told her if she thinks anything was damaged to take it out of our security deposit. But im currently wondering if she even can charge us these extra fees, or if she can charge us more than the security deposit. Any help would be appreciated.

1 Best Answer
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Richie15 If you do not agree with these charges you can decline the request for money and then AirBnB gets involved. and makes the call as to whether it is acceptable charges or not. They usually rule in the guests favor on additional fees. Also a security deposit can only be used for physical damages that must be proven by host. They must submit documention and photos of the damages. Make sure to keep all communication in the AirBnB messaging system, so AirBnB can see it. Do not use texts or phone calls.

View Best Answer in original post

11 Replies 11
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Richie15 If you do not agree with these charges you can decline the request for money and then AirBnB gets involved. and makes the call as to whether it is acceptable charges or not. They usually rule in the guests favor on additional fees. Also a security deposit can only be used for physical damages that must be proven by host. They must submit documention and photos of the damages. Make sure to keep all communication in the AirBnB messaging system, so AirBnB can see it. Do not use texts or phone calls.

Ive read that we have the right to decline to pay if the problem goes to the resolution centre, if we do what happens. Because we firmly believe nothing was damaged to the extent she is claiming, and if anything it should be covered by the security deposit. Like it says 

• Don't agree to the amount: Click Involve Airbnb in the Resolution Centre and let us know why you think your host's claim is invalid. We'll contact you and give you 72 hours to respond to us so we can mediate.

So by mediate are they just going to agree with the host and make us pay if she has photos. 

@Richie15 She has to produce photos before her next guest check in or 24 hours after check out. The burden of proof is on her. As stated above additional fee requests are usually not granted by AirBnB and security deposit funds must be photos of damages, documentation and reciept of items. I edited my post up above to add this while you replied. 

Bruna-and-Siana0
Level 10
Santa Clara, CA

Is in the house rules that no guests are allowed? Did you ask permission to the host to bring the extra guests? AirBnB is based on trust and communication. You are staying at someone's place and the hosts has the right to know who is staying. Even if they didn't sleep there, they are using the bathroom, maybe they took a shower, etc... There are extra expenses in addition to safety concerns when people who is not part of the booking.

$500 seems abusive but maybe your host had problems with extra guest before. If you don't agree with the fee, decline it. Airbnb will get involved. You can offer to pay a bit extra (but not $500) for the costs of extra cleaning. It's important you keep the communication via Airbnb messages.

there was no rule saying we couldnt have visitors, it just said no parties, but we didnt have a party. on another note if airbnb does get involved, and we don't agree to pay any amount but airbnb determines we are in the wrong what could happen?

As  said, decline and let AirBnB get involved. If the host has no rule about visitors and they didn't stay during the night, I doubt they will make you pay. Airbnb usually resolves disputes in favour of the guest. $500 seems also very abusive.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Richie15 It depends on how much your security deposit was, how much was damaged also depreciation of items comes into play. AirBnB would charge the card on file if they determine you are guilty for the amount they approved for the host.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

"We firmly believe nothing was damaged to the extent that she is claiming". This tells me that you did indeed damage things and are aware of that and are disputing the amount of the damages. You should accept responsibility for not following the house rules re extra guests and doing damage.

Rodrigo717
Level 1
Malibu, CA

I have been renting Airbnb only now I realized I can’t find help from Airbnb to inform that I been charged extra 400$ and not been informed why , I’ll just decline on my credit card and stop using Airbnb .. 

Thank you 

I’ve just had an email from the host of a house I’ve booked in France telling me that i have to book in from 2pm to 5pm and any later than that will be €50 extra! They also want to charge an extra €28 per person for bedding and towels! This seems completely outrageous and parasitical behaviour, surely this is not allowed on the Airbnb platform! 

@Joe3011 

Did you read all of the listing details and rules thoroughly when you booked? These things should have all been detailed by the host there, or communicated to you before the booking was confirmed.

See also,

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/251/if-a-host-asks-for-more-money