How to review? What would you do?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

How to review? What would you do?

We have a couple staying with a baby. We don't allow infants. I'm super worried as our place is not safe for a little one. 

The only reason I know is because the internet went down temporarily and they asked for instructions to reset. After giving them the guest responded that they will try it after the baby wakes up. Uhhh what baby?? Later it was obvious on the Ring that a small baby is indeed there. 

Reservation is until Monday.  It's Saturday.  They checked in yesterday.  

What should we do? I don't relish throwing a family into the street but I'm really concerned about safety and they did not disclose that they were bringing an infant.  

I'm just so tired of dishonest guests.  

45 Replies 45
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Laura2592  How old does the baby look? If it's really an infant, not what Airbnb calls an infant, I wouldn't be overly concerned about safety issues. A baby that can't yet crawl isn't going to be a problem re safety.  

If the baby looks old enough to be mobile, or it's hard for you to judge, I would contact the guest and ask them why they booked with a baby when your listing indicates it is unsuitable for that. Tell them you're concerned because there are safety issues for children you can't be held responsible for, which is why you don't accept them. 

If she says the baby can only just sit up on its own, so it would never be able to get itself in a dangerous situation, then I'd just let it go and slam them for not mentioning the baby when they booked, in the review.

If the baby is mobile, I guess you'll have to decide whether to tell them to leave, or just point out the things you're concerned about and hope that she is attentive.

I just went to stay with my daughter and her one and a half year old this summer, who is already quite a fast runner, and I can tell you that my daughter doesn't take her eye off that kid.  Not all parents are negligent or let themselves be distracted from making sure their child is safe.

@Sarah977I don't want to get in an argument with the guest about what the baby can and can't do, or their parenting skills. They should have followed our rules. Period. My husband has been too exhausted with the last few guests to deal with kicking them out mid stay. He has been handling the space solo as I am just back from New Orleans. Out of deference to his energy level I think we will just suck it up and leave an appropriate review.

@Laura2592  I understand that it's the ignoring of your rules that is the main issue, which is why I said to slam them in the review. 

But I was also trying to set your mind at ease about baby falling down the stairs and them trying to sue you or saying in their review, or reporting to Airbnb that your place wasn't "safe".

@Sarah977yes I know, but I am so super nervous about this stay. I just wish people would be more respectful of our limits. We don't want to prevent any families from having fun but I am incredibly fearful of any issues with the little ones and our stairs. At the very least we have disclosed in at least 2 places in the listings that we don't accept infants, that the stairs aren't safe and provided pictures. At least that will serve as a disclaimer.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Laura2592 

My personal response would be “OUT! NOW!”

and consequences be damned.

My USAA insurance most emphatically will NOT cover children or the house itself if children are present as STR guests.

This would leave me completely open to liability.

I’m quite sure that USAA has good reasons for this policy, based on experience and actuarial data.

In another post someone suggested that offenders of this nature be told that they are not being evicted, but that the unregistered child must immediately be removed from the premises.

Whatever you decide to do I hope you make it plain in your review that these people cannot be trusted.

I certainly wouldn’t rent to them.

@Brian2036yep. There will be a very honest and appropriate review. For sure.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Laura2592  It depends on if this is an infant, e.g. a baby in a crib who isn't mobile, or Airbnb's idea of an infant, e.g. a 2 year old toddler.  If a non mobile baby, then there is no reason to kick them out but I'd definitely mention the extra non disclosed infant.  If a toddler, use your own judgement on whether you should cancel/contact Airbnb, or mention it directly to the guest.

@Mark116that is what I am leaning towards-- sucking it up, and leaving the appropriate review. I can't tell how old the baby is, and don't want to start a conversation which will trigger a retaliatory review when they are called out for breaking our rules. They have a 4 star rating overall, with the lowest category in house rules, so it would appear that they had at least one similar experience with a host. We will see how the house is left.

@Laura2592  I doubt that a simple message or phone call stating your concerns about safety regarding the baby falling down the stairs, etc, without saying anything to them about them breaking your rules, or conveying irritation, would trigger a bad review.

You said you were really worried about the baby falling down stairs and such, so if she said the baby isn't even at crawling stage, you no longer have to worry. That was why I suggested asking in the first  place.

Then you'd just be pissed off, not pissed off and worried 🙂

If the baby isn't mobile, the worst that's going to happen is they leave the place a mess, with stinky diapers in an untied-up garbage bag and /or find urine stains on the bed because she didn't bother to put a change pad under the baby.

@Sarah977have you read my threads lol? ANY hint of an issue and there will be a defensive posture with this population. Clearly these people didn't care about our house rules when they booked.  I am not going to start asking them about their baby's age or expressing concern/reminding them of rules. Officially, I don't even know there is a baby as they texted my husband off platform during the internet conversation. If I call them and start asking questions, you can bet there will be a snippy review. I am just praying they will leave quietly tomorrow without any problems.

@Laura2592  I guess I'm used to dealing with people who would respond differently to a tactful question as opposed to a call-out.

I'm sorry you have to deal with a demographic which takes anything, phrased in any way, as an affront.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Uh @Laura2592  do you ever get some good guests? I mean... this is getting better and better... what's wrong with people?

@Branka-and-Silvia0  we put our place up in a few spots for a 3 month rental Feb through April outside of ABB. Hoping to find someone short term and just landlord for a few months. We are both just wiped out from these people. It used to be one or two in every 10 stays that was dishonest or a problem. Lately its been one out of 3. We both need a break.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Laura2592 

You may end up serving your country….

‘I can’t afford an apartment’: Congressmen sleeping in offices cry poverty

https://nypost.com/2018/05/01/these-politicians-are-sleeping-in-their-dc-offices-to-save-money/

I read this article 3 years ago and my heart is still bleeding purple pee.

Are we allowed to discriminate against politicians?