Pet fee

Pet fee

Allow us to add a pet fee! It's more cleaning time when a pet stays and more risk also!

Response from Airbnb

This is a great suggestion and matches our thinking on ways to give hosts more flexibility in offering services. We are actively working on a solution to enable hosts to include individual charges for special services, such as extra cleaning for guests with pets or other features of a listing that may require more effort from the host. We will have more to share on this in the first part of 2018.

In the meantime, you do have the ability to request additional funds from your guests after their reservation is confirmed. From the reservation page, click “Send or Request Money” and indicate the amount of your pet fee. This will send the request directly to your guest so that payment can be processed through Airbnb. Be sure to include a mention of your pet fee in your listing description, as well as a follow-up message directly to the guest, so they know why you are sending the money request.

We rely on your input for improving Airbnb and take these suggestions in Host Voice very seriously, so please keep the great ideas coming.

80 Comments
Joy49
Level 1

I have had so much grief over this that I no longer allow pets. It is upsetting that Airbnb cannot add a section for other fee's. 

Christie20
Level 2

I agree, please add a pet fee! I charge a fee but I am reliant on my guests leaving the $. Which is a nuisance as not everyone 'remembers' or has cash.

Michael934
Level 1

ADD A PET FEE!! This is pretty standard and obviously wanted by your hosts

Mary484
Level 1

We are small resort with four cabins. We have always charged a non refundable pet fee of $25. How do I do this on AirBnB? Or do I just message guest that they will be charged the fee on arrival and is that even within AirBnB standards??

Marilyn53
Level 3

Add it to special requests 

Nicole363
Level 1

I charge a $250.00 refundable pet deposit upon checkout after I do a walk through with the guest present. I send it under resolution center additional fee. I also note in my listing that pets are allowed 25lbs or less and/or on a case by case basis,since I have 2 dogs. This requires guests to supply me with pertinent info. I've found that all my guests with pets have been very forthcoming and honest. Maybe because I add, in the additional fee request,  that if any given information is found to be untrue upon check in that you, guest, waive your rights to being accommodated and surrender your paid fee consistent with my cancelation policy. Sending this deposit acknowledges your acceptance of these terms. 

I haven't charged an additional fee but perhaps I will. Maybe adding that as part of the deposit? And saying that security deposit will be refunded less $50.00 pet fee. That way you don't have to worry about getting the fee since airbnb has yet to incorporate that into the booking system. 

Shelley56
Level 1

I agree! And Olga, when you say there already "is" an option for hosts to add a fee - as far as I can tell, it's only manually. By altering a reservation. Unless I'm missing something, there is NOWHERE in the current listing options to add for a pet fee to be automatically applied, like the cleaning fee. This seems a VERY easy, standard, common thing so I cannot figure out why Airbnb does not have this feature as a host option.

John308
Level 2

The reason Airbnb don't respond to our requests for a pet fee facility is that they don't ever read what is posted on Host Voice. I have also tried requesting this directly with their support people and have had no response. Wasted berath I'm afraid.

Christie20
Level 2

To add, I just had my third guest with a pet leave. I leave a pet fee labeled Jar in the accomodation and mention it in the arrival email and only 1 out of 3 has paid. Im left this morning with double the work as it smells of dog, and I need to wash down the outside furniture as it smells of Pee. It is not worth it to me without the Pet fee. I am an animal owner myself and appreciate staying places that allow pets but also respect an extra charge. If the next Guest booked doesnt pay the fee , I will no longer be allowing pets.

John308
Level 2

I don't think Airbnb even read these posts, however I have contacted Airbnb direct about pet fee, and actually got a response. If enough of us contact them direct they might pull their finger out and add the pet fee facility. To contact them follow these steps. Click on HELP. Click on VISIT HELP CENTRE. Scroll down and click on the blue button CONTACT US.