Pet fee

Pet fee

Allow us to add a pet fee! It's more cleaning time when a pet stays and more risk also!

Response from Airbnb

This is a great suggestion and matches our thinking on ways to give hosts more flexibility in offering services. We are actively working on a solution to enable hosts to include individual charges for special services, such as extra cleaning for guests with pets or other features of a listing that may require more effort from the host. We will have more to share on this in the first part of 2018.

In the meantime, you do have the ability to request additional funds from your guests after their reservation is confirmed. From the reservation page, click “Send or Request Money” and indicate the amount of your pet fee. This will send the request directly to your guest so that payment can be processed through Airbnb. Be sure to include a mention of your pet fee in your listing description, as well as a follow-up message directly to the guest, so they know why you are sending the money request.

We rely on your input for improving Airbnb and take these suggestions in Host Voice very seriously, so please keep the great ideas coming.

80 Comments
Kimberly97
Level 2

YES! PLEASE ADD A PET FEE ASAP!!!!! Having to amend reservations is time-consuming and makes the host look unprofessional. We should have the ability to add the fee in BEFORE the guest accepts. 

Del12
Level 2

I think it's absolutely necessary to have a button for a pet fee on Airbnb, it's amazing how many guests although they see it in the preview notes before they arrive that they have to pay a fee on arrival with their dog, go to great lengths to avoid paying

Boris8
Level 1

Hi, I see the pet fee button or option is still not available. Since the last comment was made about a year ago, I'm wondering if there's been any progress on this subject lately. 

thanks in advance for letting us  now.

best regards,

yet another pet-friendly host who'd just like to be able to charge people for the extra work their pets cause.

Boris

Brian217
Level 2

Not having a pet fee is a big problem. I say in our listing we charge $40 for a pet but people just show up with pets, ignoring the fee "suggestion". Its uncomfortable and annoying, how about when people instant book, that workaround does not work (oh sorry, we charge a pet fee so we have to alter the reservation). Is there a reason this has not been implemented? Is Airbnb not making this a priority because they won't take a percentage on fees or what?

Anthony260
Level 2

I agree. We love pets but they are a lot of extra work. We should be able to add an additional fee for each pet. It took 8 hours of cleaning with the last ones who stayed!

You can add a pet fee through the Resolution Center: 

1. Adding a Pet Procedure
    1. Determine if a guest if bringing a pet
    2. They are and have accepted the $20/pet/day fee (or whatever you want to charge)
    3. Tell the guest that you will be adding the fee through the Airbnb Resolution Center. Give them the link: https://www.airbnb.com/resolutions
    4. Request Money
    5. Other trip related services
    6. Enter the TOTAL amount
    7. Skip Photos
    8. Under "Add Note" type “Pet Fee $20/pet/night = $_____”
Shelly17
Level 2

I agree! There needs to be a pet fee option, and mulitple pet option. It is awkward to have to ask people to pay when they arrive, and many times they do not read the entire description so are unaware there is a fee which needs to be paid separately. Also they do not always tell you they will have a pet. It should be the same as an extra guest.

Shelly17
Level 2

Greg & Robbie- this solution is not simple at all! And does not work for instant booking! Why does it have to be so complicated?

John308
Level 2

To all and everyone on this Host Voice stream, contact email airbnb directly, requesting a pet fee facility. Make the point that it is costing them money, since any ad-hoc arrangement arrived at (i.e. payment of a fee in cash on arrival) does not incur any commission for Airbnb. I would guess that over time this could actually equate to millions in lost revenue. If enough of us make this point, then maybe they will eventually wake up to the fact that a pet fee is in the interests of Airbnb as well as the Host who has to deal with pet hair and occasionally fleas.

Airbnb
Official Account
Status changed to: In Development