Put Instant Book button at top to be obvious

Put Instant Book button at top to be obvious

Being out of the discussions loop for a while, I feel like I just experienced Instant Book as a guest would, at least a newbie-ish one would...

Yesterday, as a guest, I went to look for a stay for my own trip. I was disappointed at how few listings I was getting and almost booked a place less desirable after a long search until I realized Instant Book was ON as a default filter!

I'm both a long time Superhost and a fan guest, and missed that. When I then saw how many listings I missed w/that filter now turned off, it makes it hard to believe that this is not the reason why my hosting is atypically down, and significantly so, after trying so many different approaches.

As a host, I noticed huge drop in my Rez's and inquiries and even empty rooms in a season that's usually rising and filled in w/last minute short bookings. I even used smart pricing which didn't change my already proven competitive pricing, and didn't provide any inquiries.

Looking back on what I have received these past few months, it's been mostly long stays, repeat guests, and 3rd party referrals and my tourists inquiries have been almost non-existent. Why would Airbnb make this a default, both for the guest and host's best interests?

I see there are a lot of discussions on this and will spend some time to catch up. But can the filter at least be made obvious?And how about as an actual 'option'. Some of us hosts AND guests care about it just about as much as having a real bedroom or real bed...and some of us don't.

5 Comments
Jeanine3
Level 1

I agree. Would it help if we turned off instant bookings? 

Barbara9
Level 2

When the Instant Book filter is on, a pop up warning says that airbnb is narrowing your search because of too many houses.  If they want to narrow the search, what about turning on the Super Hosts who have been loyal, and forget the Instant Book. Super Hosts have worked hard for that status, and now the listing doesn't even show up because I choose not to do IB?  It's my home.  I live here. I have to go to work with the people in my house, so I want to personally vet who comes.

We had not been informed that Instant Book was a search default. That would certainly explain the drop in our booking requests.

As a Super Host (and long time host of 7 years ) we do not offer Instant Book for the following reasons: 

Prospective guests have wanted to bring animals eventhough our listing states "Not suitable for pets" (this to ensure the comfort of our next guests who may have allergies).

Prospective guests have wanted to book with young children eventhough our House Rules state "May not be safe or suitable for children (0-12 years)" and there are no Family Amenties listed.  (We have grandchildren and love kids!)

Prospective guests have requested long term rentals which we do not offer.

The last thing we would want to do is to cancel a reservation after a person shows up on our doorstep with a pet or a small child.  And we certainly don't want to have to evict a guest who has their mind set on staying longer than the 10 day stay we have allotted them.

Communication before accepting a booking request is the key to making the sure the guest has a positive experience.

Barbara9
Level 2

Dear Donna, All very good points. Also, I have had smokers who book my non-smoking room.  Not good.

Sean119
Level 10

Agree with all above.  In general, in my market, the most succesful/booked listings are non-IB.   We have a busy summer season and most listings are booked, but those that are "available" in the biased ABB search results are overwhelmingly IB.  Which makes you draw some conclusions about the quality and desirability of those listings and if IB actually adds value to a listing.  

Also, ABB seems to be encouraging the "impulse purchase" tendencies of guests, but what about the equally negative inverse of their "buyers remorse" cancellation?

We will never be IB.