1 star review by accident!!!! What do i Do!

Janice146
Level 3
Winnipeg, Canada

1 star review by accident!!!! What do i Do!

Oh man!  I'm a little upset right now.  I had a lovely guest checkout.  The written review was so nice and they 5* overall rated me and said they want to come back and then I looked and she clicked on 1 * on all of the different sections!

I'm a superhost with 180 reviews and 4.9 star rating.  How is this going to affect me!  I'm sure it was a mistake!  I work so hard to do a good job and this feels so rough!

review:

"This place is clean, cozy and comfortable/attractive. Everything about the booking and check-in was easy. Also, Janice was easy to reach and always responded quickly. I appreciated that the apartment was located in walking distance to several restaurants, shops and the ..."

She even said in the private review that the lodging was a highlight of her trip.   

😞

10 Replies 10
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Janice146  Don't lose any sleep over it. I'm not sure how guests manage to do this without paying attention, but only the Overall rating counts as far as your superhost status, not the individual ones. So you're lucky she didn't accidentally mark overall 1 star as well. 

If you kept getting 1*s in the other categories, you might get some questioning from Airbnb, but if it's just a one-off, no biggy.

Thanks for the response.  Feels like a punch in the gut. I guess I’m going to have to get over that. Haha. I feel better knowing that only the over all rating maters, so the other category ratings won’t affect my status.  This star rating system can drive someone batty!

@Janice146  Was that a typo? Yes, the Overall rating affects your status. It's the individual ones, i.e. cleanliness, accuracy, communication that don't. If the guest was actually unhappy with her stay and wrote a bad review and low Overall, then I can see where you'd feel sick about it, but it was just an error and since it won't affect anything, have yourself a glass of wine and forget about it. 

If you have a fair amount of interaction with your guests, you can always bring up the story of how a really nice, pleased guest accidentally clicked on the 1* ratings and how shocked you were and remind them that they can't change a review once it's submitted, so to be careful before submitting their review.

It's kind of unfortunate that most people are using their phones for everything now- it's much easier to hit the wrong number by accident on a cell phone keyboard than on a computer.

Yes sorry. I’m tired. I wrote that wrong. I fixed it. Thanks for your reply. 

MariaJose103
Level 2
Lima District, Peru

Hi Please somebody knows what can I do?  not sure how works all this but want to ask if any one can guide me or give me any advice because I have a guests that took things from my space, full the bed in urine entire 4 days and after that disappeared change his name photo block and cancel his account. I contact airbnb but they’ve told me that they are closing the case and the solve the problems, when nobody do that, nobody give me back my things or my bed. You can’t imagine...the urine it was all over the floor and bed... they don’t answer my messages. And they say that security department don’t have a number where I can call with a supervisor... im desperate...don’t know what to do. I already send the request for property damages the pictures the payments and everything and nothing. Only bad treat from them. And don’t have where to someone somebody to help me. Please I don’t have hope by now 😞 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Janice146, I had someone give me a 1 as the overall score because 1 is the best, right! You should be happy to still get a five in the overall.

Ouch.  It would be easier to brush off if there weren’t such harsh consiquences. 

Now that I know the other ratings don’t effect your status. I can chill out a bit, but it still bugs me. Haha. 

Janice146
Level 3
Winnipeg, Canada

I thought I would update.  I did speak with airbnb and they said the expected, that there was nothing that could be done, but not to worry as it won't affect anything.  Well.  That's not really true.  My guest did give an overall of 5* and then accidentally said 1* for all the subcatagories and I just realized that it booted me out of the work collection because of it.  I'm smack downtown and I feel like that would be a valuable tool.  I've had longer stays in the unit, so not a ton of reviews yet, but all of the rest have been great reviews, but now I have to wait for my score to get back up to be included again.  So it is kind of annoying.  I wish there was a way to rectify it when guests make a mistake.  Anyway.  Just wanted to vent a bit 🙂

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Janice146  I think it's utterly unacceptable that they don't have a fail safe to assist both host and guest when accidents happen.  People fat finger things all the time (I've done it myself) and there is nothing worse than knowing you've made a mistake that impacts someone else... it's the stuff of nightmares for someone like me.  I think you're quite right to vent!!

Sheryil1
Level 2
Tauranga, NZ

Hi Janice, I had the exact same thing happen to me 6 months ago so I understand how you feel. Despite Christmas bookings and excellent reviews I have still not made it back to the work collection.  I hate seeing a near perfect record ruined. It's the check in process that is 4.6 and needs to be 4.8.  I even had a bad thought the guest had done it deliberately as there daughter had a air Bnb but they couldn't stay with her as it was booked the weekend they stayed with us.  What I have found though is most people do rather read what is written rather than taking into account the score given.