A guest is threatening us even after full refund (and more)

Team-Kazemaru0
Level 2
Hawaii, United States

A guest is threatening us even after full refund (and more)

Aloha,

Does anybody know what our responsibility is if guests complain about bugs in a condo? 

After staying 5 days she reported bedbugs. We have a professional management company looking after our condo and they sent pest control to check. They found a couple of bugs however they think they were brought in by the guest themselves as the guests that checked out the day before did not report anything. 

We refunded the full amount of their fee, even the days they already stayed ($2,000 USD). Plus paid for a new condo ($1,000) as additional compensation. My assistant who corresponded with the guest also wrote she could send additional $200 as a 'sorry' for their ordeal. We truly were sorry for them. However the management company who met these guests say they were not badly bitten and just out to take advantage of us. They ordered us NOT to refund full amount but we already did...

The guests are making a huge deal and want more money. They keep sending us messages, threatens to seek legal help and also post everything they can about us online, giving us bad reviews and report about us on their 'famous' YouTube Channel etc. 

It is getting really crazy and they sound mentally unstable. I just am not sure to what extent i have responsability as a host to compensate for their bad experience. And...just because my booking assistant wrote she would compensate a further $200 are we obliged to do this? This has already been going on for 10 days... I'd appreciate any kind of suggestions from your experiences.

Many thanks

warmly 

4 Replies 4
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Team-Kazemaru0 The more you respond and engage the more they will ask for - you have given more than enough compensation. Flag their profile and let Airbnb know they are threatening you. If they gave your cellphone number block it on your phone.

Thank you @Gerry-And-Rashid0 I think I will follow your advice. So sad that replying kindly and respectfully did not work... Well, a good experience.  

@Team-Kazemaru0

Oh no, here we go again....bed bugs yet again!

This is becoming more prevelant with each passing month. Guests are becoming aware that Airbnb will close a listing until a certficate from a recognised exterminator is supplied, and these 'guests' (for want of a better word) are holding hosts to ransom because they know the host will do anything not be shut down.

Immediately flag this persons profile, tell Airbnb the guest is using extortion, and make a police report citing extortion as the basis for your complaint.

Ylva, you must never, but never try to negotiate with extortionists, blackmailers....whatever you want to call them. Every time you do it just gives them more power. Put as much heat on them as possible and if I were you I would open a complaint with the resolution centre to demand the return of money they have already had paid back to them by using false pretences.

What they will do is close that Airbnb account and open another one so, that is why you must involve the police in this, giving police access to their contact phone number so police can track their activity and at least make these individuals aware they are on dangerous ground.

So sorry you have been stung here, but you are simply one of a growing number of similar hosts. Time to hop to it and fire a canon or two of your own in their direction.

Cheers......Rob 

thats is black mail dear!!!.. does airbnb have a black list of guest thatwe can prevent to affect other host? cheers maria
Maria Elena Bartsch