A modest proposal re: profile pictures

Kelly87
Level 8
Los Angeles, CA

A modest proposal re: profile pictures

Actually a sincere proposal 😄

Airbnb,

Some hosts are worried that Airbnb may no longer require profile pictures, partially (or totally) in an attempt to reduce discrimination against guests. And a long running issue with some hosts has been guests whose profile picture is not of the guest themselves. Would this be a possible solution:

Do not show a profile, or any picture, before booking, but require a guest (or at least a Verified ID guest) to provide a picture for AFTER booking. This picture could come from the ID in the case of a verified ID guest. 

This solves the issue of a host declining a guest based on looks (because they are black, for example) but still provides the host with a picture of the guest for the host's security and sense of well-being. Some hosts, understandably, want to know what the person showing up will look like, if for no other reason than to verify it is that person. And of course this is usefull if picking someone up at the airport, etc...

It seems like this would actually help Airbnb in tracking host who do discriminate inappropriately. After all, if you have a host who is accepting guests repeatedly, and then canceling after seeing the photo of the person, one could start to make reasonable assumptions about what is going on.

4 Replies 4

@Kelly87  I think that's a great idea. I never make a decision on a profile image, but I do like to know who to expect for a reservation.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Definitely a worthy suggestion.  Just like the host address is not released until it is a confirmed booking, profile pictures, host or guest, will only be released after confirmation.  @Kelly87 would you also consider posting this in the Host Voice?  I think it might get more attention there.  Thank you

@Linda108

Thank you, I did so 🙂

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

From what I understand this is actually the plan.