Addressing guest misconduct while they still have 2 days to go

Sandra643
Level 2
Plantation, FL

Addressing guest misconduct while they still have 2 days to go

Hello everyone, 

I've just started hosting. The guests currently staying with us were to be our very first guests (first reservation), except that another couple stayed with us two days prior. They were great. 

We've gone all out to make this couple feel at home. However, I had posted on the listing that I don't yet have the internet accessible for guests.

They originally requested an early arrival, which I was ready to accomodate. They ended up checking in at 3:30 am (late arrival). I didn't make a big deal about it. I even helped them with their luggage. 

The next morning the guy asked me if we had wireless. I told him that unfortunately we still don't have guests set up for access & that I had noted this on my listing to avoid any problems/confusion. He said it would not be a problem & that he would use his phone as a 'Hot Spot'. I was happy that it didn't become an issue and put it out of my mind. 

Today, I was working online and noticed a slow connection. I just spent an hour and a half with my internet provider only to find out that this couple has connected their laptop to my ethernet (visible on my IP home screen). I made the big mistake of trusting too much and left my modem in the room that they rented. (I know.... super dumb!).

I'm now very concerned as to the security of my network information, although the representative from my internet provider assured me that they should not be able to access any info. 

I feel like I need to address this with them when they get back & make sure that they disconnect from my network. 

Any suggestions? Has anyone had a similar situation?

I'm very uphauled at the disrespect, when we've been nothing but accommodating. 

24 Replies 24
Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

@Sandra643, this wasn't disrespect, the modem was in their room.

Calmly explain that secure internet access is not yet available for guests.

Period.

You don't need to go into detail, but it's for everyone's security... uh... especially yours!

Don't make a big deal out of it.  Wasn't their fault, really.

Can you just remove the modem from the room?

Best!

Kim

@Kim0,

Thank you for your input. Honestly, had it not been for the very specific conversation, I might have assumed that they didn't fully read the listing. But given that we discussed it and he agreed to use his Hot Spot, I really feel it was very disrespectful and intrussive. 

I'm definitely looking into removing the modem from that room as soon as they leave. 

I'm also trying to set up WiFi access for my guests

Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

This is one area where I totally disagree with @Kimberly54 - with all due respect. 

Your modem, your internet, your rules. You told them, he didn't think "wireless" - cos he said "i'll use my phone as my hotspot". He knew. He "invaded your network." In this day and age you cannot let people do that. He knew this too, believe me!

I would immediately "AirBnB message" them that they broke House Rules by hooking up their computer to your internet modem even though he understood that you had not set up internet access for guests. Messaging them is the only way it's on file.

If something like this happens again, call AirBnB and have them reaccomodated. The minute guests "stretch" the rules, they tend to keep trying. This could be a simple case of them REALLY not understanding - in which case, all is fine. Or it is them stretching and pushing to see if they can get something you told them they couldn't have.

@Jann3

Thank you for this advise. I was planning on politely addressing it in person, but what you said makes sense. I guess, my main concern in addressing this issue is that I fear they will cause damage to my  bedroom or it's contents. 

Like I said, I'm brand new to all of this and may have been a little too trusting of people. 

If I need to request AirBnB to reaccomodate them will that have a repercussion for me?

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Sandra643  Interesting that you got two very different reactions from the host forum, right?  Of course you will proceed in a way that you find fits your style.  Either way, lesson learned.

My style is to give a benefit of the doubt and take control of a situation in a way that does not vilify the guest.  I am not a very technical person, but I would imagine you cannot easily move the modem.  

It most definitely has been a learning experience.

I'm sure it'll take some work to move the modem, but there must be a way to do so. 

I certainly want to give them the benefit of doubt. I was really excited about starting this, but now I'm very disillusioned 

Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

Hi @Sandra643@Jann3,

Sorry... thought 'modem in the room' meant access, and did not know what a 'hot spot' was.

It still seems a bit innocent to me.  OK, the guy was savvy, but was this truly a breach?  Really?

It seems like this was a 'problem' he thought he could solve. (?)

I totally get that this is not okay, but there weren't any actual 'rules' in place.  The service just wasn't available.  Right?

So he figured a way around it.

Just communicate that it's not secure.  Don't need to get into details?

Kim

@Kimberly54,

I see your point. I will address it as a simple misunderstanding and clarify that he is not to access the internet as there is not a secure connection established for guests. Hopefully this will difuse any conflict. 

@Kimberly54@Linda108 & @Jann3

The collective advise that you all have offered has been superb!! Thank you very, very much. For a newbie like me these things can be very disheartening, but I'll try to foresee these types of issues in the future. Worst case, I know that I have a wonderful community to turn to when in doubt or need of advise. 🙂

@Sandra643, would you let us know how this resolves?

Everyone learns when we come together.

Thanks!  Great vibes coming your way!

Kim

Kim

@Kimberly54

I'll be happy to update once I hear back from them. As of now, they still have not returned tonight. 

@Kimberly54

They seemed pleasant enough about it at the time. They did disconnect as requested. However, when they left, the room was a mess! They splattered coffe all over my desk, computer, printer, walls (3 different walls), left a stain on the carpet, and spilled champaign all over the bathroom, hall and vanity area floors. The remaining champaign bottle was left in the room. The bathroom was covered in sand. The brand new bath towels that I had left in the room with tags and all, were left in the tub drenched in sea water and thick with sand. It took two washes to get all the sand out of the towels. I would have gladly lent them beach towels, had they simply asked. They didn't bother with the hygien products that I had offered them and left on the counters, but they nearly emptied a brand new Korean facial cleanser that I had stored away in the cabinetry (since this is my room), and rummaged through several other items as well. I could go on, but I'll leave it at that. Needless to say, they will not be welcomed in my home again. 

Thankfully, the guests that followed them were delightful and my faith is restored. 

Cathy172
Level 10
Dennis, MA

I'm with @Kimberly54 all the way. Assume he meant no harm and move forward. These little learning curves should improve our hosting skills and not at the expense of a guest.

@Sandra643

In my opinion, the guest probably did not mean any harm. If I were to put myself in the guest's shoes...... the guest asked about wireless and you said not yet. BUT the guest finds is a modem in the room!!!! I would wonder - then think, let's hook up and see if there is access - It works!  and would not think it would be a problem.

It was IN the guest room, and technically you never said anything about not touching the modem or not using the cable for access. You only said "no wireless". Although the guest said he would use his phone as a hot spot, that was assuming he had no other way to get internet for his laptop. He happened to find a better option available in the room and used it.

One of my friends told me several years ago that when she moved to a new apartment, her phone happened to find a wifi signal that had no pw protection, so she was able to get her phone and laptop to connect to that signal and she used it for 2~3 months before she finally got around to getting her own internet set up. She was really happy she didn't have to pay for additional data charges during that time. I would think it's kind of the same situation from the user's point of view.

Instead of waiting till they leave, I would just message the guest immediately saying that you didn't have time to remove the modem from the guest room and ask to enter to remove it so you can set it up somewhere else and not mention how upsetting is was for you that they used your ethernet connection. If it comes up just say something along the lines of "this is for my personal use, not intented for guests" and leave it at that.

Yep. You will learn the hard way like the rest of us. Do not leave anything in the guest areas that you don't want them to use. We had to lock certain doors, our liquor cabinet, and even create a printed layout of where they are allowed to go in the house. Move your modem from that room.