AirBnB app malfunction?

John_Alison0
Level 2
Napier, New Zealand

AirBnB app malfunction?

I just lost a booking after the person asked if the bedroom had a King sized bed or a Queen sized bed as “the listing mentions both”

I checked and could not not find any mention of a King sized bed in the listing.

I was sent a screenshot of what the person was referring to and it is different to what should be there. I took a screenshot at the same time and the screenshots show different information. My screenshot shows  “Bedroom 1, 1 queen bed” whereas the screenshot I received from the person who was going to book (but didn’t in the end) shows “Bedroom 1, 1 king bed”.  I am certain the screenshot I received is true and was what the person actually saw on screen for my listing. 

About 2 week’s ago I noticed that the listing when viewed on my phone was correct, but when I look at the listing on my wife’s phone it was incorrect (it was showing “Bedroom 1, 1 king bed”.) I checked agin the following day and my wife’s phone was then showing the correct information (Bedroom 1, 1queen bed”). I called AirBnB and they told me “this cannot happen” even though I sent them the screenshot.

Am I the only person this has happened to?   

Now I cannot be confident that what I publish on my listing is what viewers seeking accommodation will actually see.

https://abnb.me/trNRLlMq6YScreenshot received - Incorrectly showing “1 king bed”Screenshot received - Incorrectly showing “1 king bed”

Screenshot taken at the same time on my device showing correct information (“1 queen bed”)Screenshot taken at the same time on my device showing correct information (“1 queen bed”)

8 Replies 8
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @John_Alison0 ,

Thanks for reaching out with this. I've just had a look at your listing and can also see it listed as a "King bed." I have shared this with the customer support team to be added to your case. I hope we can get some more information, and a resolution, for this issue asap.

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Wow! So wonderful to read a prompt, meaningful, action-oriented response from a mod - Thank you, @Stephanie!

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@John_Alison0 , @Rebecca181 

I wonder if you could let me know what the country of the potential guest was? This issue can sometimes arise as different countries have different definitions of bed sizes. For example, in the UK the Queen size dimensions are 120 x 190 cm but Google tells me in NZ it is 165 x 203cm. 

This is much closer to our King size of 150 x 198 cm but still, a bigger bed. Sounds like your beds are bigger than at least in the UK - we can see if this is the case if you have your guest country. 

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Thanks for that. I may have the solution. A “Queen” size bed in NZ is 203cm X 153cm whereas a “King” size bed in the UK is 198 cm X 152cm, which would appear to be the closest match in terms of size. The person who saw “King size” was viewing it in the UK - so maybe that’s why she saw “King” size - because her location when viewing was UK?

Regards,
John

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@John_Alison0  @Stephanie 

different sizes of the bed don't explain why you see queen on yours and king on your wife's phone, I suppose you live in the same country

Btw my listing also shows queen on laptop and king on the application so you are not alone. When I change it to "double" then it is shown the same on laptop and app

. . . . true

John_Alison0
Level 2
Napier, New Zealand

4C1D7208-175D-4CDD-BFC7-9DE3613C7DCD.jpeg

These are the bed sizes in centremetres in New Zealand.

It is now apparent that the description e.g. “King” has a different meaning (i.e.actual size)  depending on which country you live in or are viewing the app from.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@John_Alison0

I don't think it matters, my laptop and my phone are next to me right now and showing king/queen.

And in Croatia we don't have names for every dimension, we simply call them "single" and "marital bed" 🙂