AirBnb pushing hosts on pricing - to lower it

Kathleen-M-0
Level 3
Rochester, NY

AirBnb pushing hosts on pricing - to lower it

I was wondering if anyone is encountering Airbnb telling hosts that your overall "bookability in your region would be higher if you lowered your prices to this, this or this, etc." ?   They made it sound as if they received this input from my guests, but I checked with each one and the answer was "NO" and I believe them.  I believe airbnb is pushing me to lower prices SIGNIFICANTLYT so that more will book and Airbnb will make more money.  My feeling is "you get what you pay for" but also "you may lose it ALL if you book the WRONG person".

My listing scored 100% on photos, 100% on description, 100% on amenities, and then what looks like 50% on pricing.  Odd...  I checked 200 other listings within 20 miles of my home and most of them are charging more than I am and - no offense - some of them shouldn't be...

Any other hosts out there in upstate New York or elsewhere having this problem ?  Thanks.

Kate in Rochester

9 Replies 9
Sean---Enrique0
Level 3
Niagara Falls, NY

I've never encountered this. Niagara Falls here. Was this a special email ? Orrr

No - it was not a special email.  They have been sending it every week, and now have a little sidebar that rates DESCRIPTION, PHOTOS, AMENITIES, PRICE and I get 100% on the first 3 and "lower your price" on the last one.  If I go much lower it's not worth my time to do this !  I provide breakfast and I also drive most of them where they need to go, as they are mostly grad students from different countries.  Thanks for your input, though. 

Hilary23
Level 2
Deephaven, MN

I just ignore their recommendations to lower my price. Why would I when I book solidly and have good reviews?

I live near Niagara Falls, Canada 🇨🇦. I too have been encouraged to lower prices. Sometimes the prices they suggest arerediculous. I choose what I will and so far  this is the best way. 

Victoria57
Level 10
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom

Hi @Kathleen-M-0, just remember that Airbnb don't know your area, don't know what events are going on in your town and don't really know what you are offering and they just use some computer algorithm to tell you that you are charging too little. Ignore them. YOU know your area, your business and what price works for you so go with what YOU think is right.

Thanks for the support.  I thought they must just be using computer generated stats.  I was just curious if this was happening to anyone else.  I don't use "Instant Book" either - they keep pushing that on me, but I work and have to travel.  

Katia96
Level 2
Northcote, Australia

Hi 

Very late answer ... but yes, I have been getting this when my prices are so low I'm booked 100% months in advance.. I think they are trying to lower prices to hosts to get more guests attracted, at our expense literally. I know it is not in my interests and I should charge more not less... so I assume its their desire to drive prices down. Like, does anyone ever get a special email saying that they could charge more and are under-charging? or to put prices up? Even  auto-price seems to ignore xmas and NYE as key days for proce increases. 

I’ve received the same advice but never listened to it.  I’ve had my prices as high as $75 for one guest and $85 for two, with a $7 cleaning fee and I still get bookings.  Certainly not as many as when I have it listed closer to $50.  

Id love to see a Rochester,NY group.  We’ve become saturated with Airbnb hosted listings.  So many more than just a couple of years ago.  A neighbor of mine around to the next street is booking f

rooms as low as $29.  I don’t know why anyone would even bother at that

price.

Shout out to Brett and Scott.  I just had a go round with airbnb because I will lose my "superhost" status if I don't have 10 bookings for the year by July 1.  So I tell them to look at my calendar as TWO GUESTS have my home booked for SEVEN MONTHS in 2018, one for 3 months and one for 4 months !  Airbnb says "our computers generate this, there  is nothing we can do."  I suggested they spend some money and hire a programmer... It's outrageous for me to have a guest leave 5 stars after a 3 month or 6 week stay and airbnb tells me I have to scratch around and jam a couple of one night bookings - which I don't do - to get the number to 10 to retain superhost status !   

I agree with you about the market here being saturated and some of the bookings look horrendous.  Did you know if you don't use Instant Book, which I do not, that your listing doesn't show up even when your calendar is open ?  I'm open for June 20 to August 20, and I can't FIND MY LISTING.  If you don't do Instant Book, you disappear !