Airbnb Insurence - doesn’t it actually work

Lisa1589
Level 1
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel

Airbnb Insurence - doesn’t it actually work

I rent out my place occasionally when I leave to travel with my husband. So far I had pretty good experience, but today I came from 2w trip and saw my apt as I have never seen it before. 

All dirty, trash left everywhere... but 2 things just shock me:

1. The guest was some kind of piromaniac, he burned all the candles he could find,l to the bottom, including a very expensive one that was very pressious to me. Before leaving I handled him specific candles for burning, but he went for those that were for decoration. All of them. He burned a plant pot as well. The apt smells like it was on fire.

2. I have reasons to believe he overstayed his paid period and then he passed the keys to someone he knows (I don’t), and I still didn’t get the keys back.

I spoke to Airbnb support in order to receive from the guest the compensation for the lost key (mentioned on the booking) and the candle. 

How mich tome does it take usually and will I see any compensation at all? 

2 Replies 2
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Lisa1589

damage claim can be resolved the second day or a month... it is hard to tell....

The amaunt of money you ask is not high so you have good chances to get it but you should attach photos of burned candles and receipts or at least a link to the same product online if available.

But in the future I would advice you to remove all the candles from the apartment and write in your house rules that ""it is forbiden to burn candles because of the fire hazard."" Also put in your house rules that ""guest will be charged for broken or missing items, specially lost keys (xx $)"" . We have it in our house rules. And our guests have to sign a paper where is written how many set of keys they received (we have expensive locks and parking remote controller) .

Ann3
Level 10
Savannah, GA

Definitely put away all candles in a locked closet or something like it, along with anything you have in your house that would break your heart to lose.  Having a policy is great because you can point to it after a guest breaks your rules, but most guests don't read...avoid the whole thing by removing temptation.

The missing keys is a BIG security concern. If I were you, I would get the locks changed immediately and send the receipt for the lock change via the resolution center. There is absolutely no excuse for not returning the keys. By now anyone could have copies...

I'm sorry that happened to you. I'm sure you'll warn future hosts about this guy in your review.