Airbnb REFUSAL to delete bad review from no-show guest who got ALL his money back

Christine455
Level 7
Meadview, AZ

Airbnb REFUSAL to delete bad review from no-show guest who got ALL his money back

So I wasted HOURS with a guy who was a few hours away, but it was windy and they were riding bikes.

I refunded the cleaning fee and offered him a free night, he only lives 4 hours away.

He submitted his claim, and as almost always, Airbnb refunded EVERYTHING.

I wonder why Airbnb isn't concerned with a living wage for ME! 

The guest left a ONE star review for accuracy,  check-in and CLEANLINESS.   NOBODY can imagine how hard I clean!

Airbnb refuses to delete it.

Why can't I post a screenshot of my support ticket and the review?

14 Replies 14
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Christine455 

You can click on the "camera" icon at top of a posting, which brings you a screen to upload images.

I looked at your profile, but did not see a bad review. But giving 1 star for something they even did not experience (check-in, cleanliness) is totally nonsense and Airbnb should do a better job here.

Maybe contact them again or at least give feedback: Airbnb Feedback 

Best regards,

Email

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Christine455 I only see great reviews. But I doubt that Airbnb will remove it since technically it isn't "against their policy" as they like to explain. They need to pay attention to this and at least reduce the categories which guests that don't show up can rate. 

@Ana1136You can't imagine how hard I work to get these great reviews.  Even the guy, Paul, gave me a nice review, writing how I worked with him to get him cancelled! 

WHY he gave me only 1 star for cleanliness, accuracy and check-in -- I don't get it.   Hate to have to say this, but I think he's one of those functionally illiterate American imbeciles.  I never have problems like that with foreigners.

So wish I could post screenshots.  I also got a really bad review in the subcategories for AWFUL Airbnb SUPPORT!

You can't make this **bleep** up 😞

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Christine455  If he gave you a nice written review, his line of thought re stars might have been 'I did not stay so can't say it was 5*, nor 4, 3, 2....' - therefore he THOUGHT 1* was the nearest he could get to leaving it blank.....?

It could well be he has no idea how catastrophic it is for hosts to get 1*. He probably did not intend malice...

It is indeed a problem of the system. Time was, when we could leave the stars blank for no showers, & only rate communication. The fact that we now HAVE to arbitrarily click a star to proceed is opening us all up to low ratings from folk who have to invent their own rules to proceed. I've raised this with Airbnb & the operator said it was a real valid point & he'd pass it on.. but no change yet!

You COULD pm your guest & explain... & ask HIM to ask to get the review removed.......

@Helen350You are probably right about my guest's reasoning.

There's no way that I can subject myself to the misery of dealing with this guest again, he couldn't even figure out how to cancel and of course I couldn't cancel for him -- the Airbnb support is so hellish, as I mentioned, guests are starting to give me bad reviews for it!

I've known since spring that I have to get off this platform and thought by now I'd have my own website, but got stuck painting the house. 

I'm tired of being mistreated and abused by Airbnb.  ANY guest can cancel ANY time as long as they come up with a good story and they'll get their money back.

Airbnb makes SO MUCH on the fees, they're embarrassed to even let the hosts see the OUTRAGEOUS fees our guests are paying for this awful platform with NO support.

I'd probably make more money creating another AIRBNB hate website. 

I think you are spot on, @Helen350. He definitely thought he cannot rate you on those categories since he never actually checked in. He can't leave them blank or else Airbnb will not let him move on to the next page. When are they going to fix/change this!?!?!

Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Christine455 The guest review seems to be very positive. How many stars did he give you for overall? That is actually more important than the individual categories. If he gave you 5 overall, three individual ones probably are because of the reasons @Helen350 mentioned

I am just curious to know a full refund is given by Airbnb. Did Airbnb talk to you before they provided the full refund? Did Airbnb tell you why a full refund is given? What is your cancellation policy of the listing? 

In his case, the big wind stopped the guest from coming. Was it counted as extenuating circumstance by Airbnb?

Christine455
Level 7
Meadview, AZ

Yup, it was windy the day they were supposed to arrive, extenuating circumstances.  I don't need that BS!  NOBODY EVER gives me my money back because I have problems ...

There is something REALLY wrong in the US, with the little people always being the ones who PAY.

After all, my guest have the money to travel, they make their own choices how to travel, and I couldn't possibly care LESS that their flight was cancelled or that it was windy.

I have the "strict" cancellation policy.

MY last vacation was in 2001.  All I do is CLEAN, PAY the bills and talk to IDIOTS at Airbnb.

"The guest review seems to be very positive. How many stars did he give you for overall? That is actually more important than the individual categories."

I know it is.  He left an overall 5-star review.  But why is THAT a reason to allow guests to give me bad ratings for subcategories  that are OBVIOUSLY frivolous?

I so wish I could post screenshots here ...

@Christine455  Definitely Airbnb needs to reconsider their review systems in various ways. Definitely a review for something a guest has never experienced is wrong. Accuracy, cleanliness, check-in definitely will need to be experienced in order to provide objective review.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Christine455 do you not have the little camera icon to insert photos?

Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 7.10.25 PM.png

Bradley93
Level 1
Missoula, MT

I feel for you. I've had some very entitled young Americans never check in, or fail to find their rooms upon check-in, then leave a 1-star. Huge waste of time. My advice is to only rent to travelers with strong review history. 

Christine455
Level 7
Meadview, AZ

@Bradley93-- you need to start to FIGHT for what's right!  It's about the PRINCIPLE here, that Airbnb does all it can for the guests at the EXPENSE of the hosts.

But I do agree with you about limiting rentals to guests with multiple good reviews is on my to-do list.  Thing is, first I have to create a website for local (Las Vegas) visitors and activate my listing with Homeaway.

So many of my guests have NO reviews and overall, they're good people.  I'd be bankrupt if I didn't get those bookings. 

But I'm ecstatic every time I get someone with 10+ reviews -- I know it will be a pleasant stay and I'll get my 5-star raving review.

Christine455
Level 7
Meadview, AZ

@Emilia42  Thanks, didn't see that.

So here is Paul's review:

2019-08-08--Paul--Progress - Airbnb.png

Christine455
Level 7
Meadview, AZ

And here is William's review:

"The Listing information was fine it’s the Airbnb is not customer services friendly" with 3-star Value.

William was extra special, visited with his 6 sons and apparently they were all chain smokers.  After the left, the house stank so bad, I had the windows open for days and had to wash just about everything I could wash.

I looked around here for the possibility of getting damage reimbursement, but reading the MANY complaints about Airbnb REFUSING to assist hosts with smoke damage, I didn't bother.   Once I deal directly with my guests, I'll simply be charging their credit card like hotels do.

This was the FIRST time guests had smoked cigarettes in the house (I don't care about weed.)

William did not respond to my message about the smoking in the house.

2019-08-08--William--Progress - Airbnb.png