Airbnb Room Rentals and Navigating HOA/city policies.

Matthew11
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

Airbnb Room Rentals and Navigating HOA/city policies.

I can't seem to find an answer on here regarding if I can rent rooms in one of my condos. I was able to find the rules for the city and it looks like I can have a rental without needing a license etc as long as the rentals are 30 days or more... so good to go there as requiring 30 day or more rentals is fine by me.

The HOA is where I don't know and get confused. If it's just rooms and it's for 30+ days would I be allowed to rent the rooms? The rule book seems to state that no 'rentals' are allowed unless approved by HOA. We have a 25% capacity and that has already been reached with about 19 people still on the waiting list. So that's years out.  However, that seems to refer to an entire home rental and not a room rental. 

So I'm not really sure what to do if I want to have 30+ day airbnb room rentals. Essentially it's using airbnb to setup 1 to 6 month roommates in a condo that I own.

Anyone else ran into this partular situation or understnad any of this better than me? Would be greatlyu appreciated!

Thanks,

Matthew

4 Replies 4
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

If I were going to have long term roommates I would want to have a deposit and know more about them up front than abb allows.

Does the HOA allow roommates?

STR/LTR usually considered totally different things

Hey Kelly, 

Thanks for your reply. That's a good question. I'm not sure if the HOA allows it or not actually.  Nothing in the rulebook specifically states no roommates. I've had roommates  in my spare room in the past, espeically while traveling for work off and on. 

How are STR and LTR usually viewed differently? and can HOA's actually have a say in roommates? 

Hey Kelly, 

I found the wording in our HOA rulebook. I'm not sure I totally understand this but maybe it makes sense to you or others. I'm not sure if renting out a room for more than 30 days would qualify as a roommate or not and I'm also not sure what the line at the end of 15 means in regards to a 'roommate'. Does it mean it's allowed or disallowed? 

pzy+1OkSSAWbsHJFQfocvg.jpgZxMfpvfwSPaEwMoFDJrbpg.jpg

Matthew11
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

Hey Kelly, 

Thanks for your reply. That's a good question. I'm not sure if the HOA allows it or not actually.  Nothing in the rulebook specifically states no roommates. I've had roommates  in my spare room in the past, espeically while traveling for work off and on. 

How are STR and LTR usually viewed differently? and can HOA's actually have a say in roommates? 

Thanks,

Matthew