Airbnb (b: bed & b: breakfast)

Renato324
Level 3
Ngongotaha Valley, New Zealand

Airbnb (b: bed & b: breakfast)

We have been hosting for a while and also staid at various places as guests when travelling. In our opinion, as the Airbnb title indicates, the two b’s should stand for bed and breakfast. We provide a hearty breakfast with a variety of yummy goodies, like muesli, croissant, toast, fruit salad, yoghurt and poached eggs from our own chickens. Our guests always comment on the generous ’breakies’ we provide. Quite often we experience rather meagre and stingy breakfasts as guests. As my wife and I are from the hospitality industry, we know that there is not much in food cost, and the money is to be made in accommodation fees. If hosts try to safe on food, it looks cheap and lacks true generous hospitality spirit. This in the end reflects on us all as Airbnb hosts.

What are the opinions in this matter of all the Airbnb hosts?

kind regards

Renato and Renata

41 Replies 41
Renato324
Level 3

Hi Suzanne,

thank you for your reply, really appreciate your view point.

Kind regards from New Zealand.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

we also have strict food handling regulations which do not allow the serving of meals without the proper certification and inspections.

But even if we would be allowed we wouldn’t offer any breakfast. For an offsite hosts like us it would be very inconvenient and time consuming.

Besides, we offer budget friendly apartments in the city center with 2 grocery stores and numerous restaurants and open market nearby.

Our guests get a chocolate on the pillow 🙂

Ps. We don't eat breakfast, coffee and cigarettes are the only thing we need before lunch at 3:00 pm :))))

so I would rather choose cheaper place without breakfast  than pay for it and waste it 

Renato324
Level 3

Whaaaaat.... 😆good on you. Great to see people doing what they like best 🤗

Renato324
Level 3

Makes sense, thank you for your feedback.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Renato324 

Renato, I do provide more in the way of condiments than many hosts, including eggs, bacon, fruit, juice, cereals, bread, cheeses, jams, nuts, crackers, a block of chocolate, milk, bottled water, a coke, a beer and I find it does pay off.......

IMG20170308181344   01.jpg 

IMG20190207181303.jpg

Screenshot_2021-04-13-14-46-23-68.png

I provide just enough cooking equipment to prepare some lightweight cooking including a small hotplate and a microwave, but I do not include an oven.

You are right in that food items can be provided cheaply, and although it looks like I provide a lot, the reality is it costs me very little. Cartons of Coke and Beer cost me nothing! Stores have a policy, if the carton gets dropped in the warehouse, it goes in the dumpster which is where I come in! Once cheeses get near their use by date or get a bit a bit pulled around in the display cabinet I get them for 30c up to 60c per cheese, bottled water for 10c per bottle. I spend less than $10 per guest night, and I would only approach that amount where I get that guest that leaves with the philosophy, "If the host has supplied it, it belongs to me"....and they take everything with them. That guest would be one in 20. Most guests will use something of what I supply but when they leave a considerable amount is left untouched for the next guest. Around 10% of guests consume or use nothing at all other than a tea bag or a spoonful of coffee.

So I would say my average cost of condiments would come to $7.50 per guest night, certainly not a major cost, and I get enjoyment out of doing it and the accolades it gets.

Screenshot_2021-04-13-14-47-23-46.png

Cheers.........Rob

Renato324
Level 3

Great reading your feedback and very interesting concept. I like your generosity with a common sense food-cost calculation.

As our guests are in-house and share our own, personal kitchen, we work it similar, the guests being able to use tea, coffee and general condiments ready stored in the kitchen.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Renato324  I am a home share host and have never provided breakfast nor breakfast food. I do provide coffee and tea, cream, etc.

I am not a morning person, a person who never eats breakfast myself until around 11 (I'm in Branka's coffee and cigarettes camp 🙂 ), and I don't enjoy cooking at all. So providing breakfast for guests would turn hosting, which I love- and have a lot of great interaction with my guests- into something I hated doing.

I live on  the outskirts of a touristy beach town- my guests aren't interested in hanging around the house in the morning,  and are often up and out before I even wake up in the morning. 

I also want to keep my listing affordable for budget travelers.

And I would never want a host to prepare breakfast for me if I were a guest, because no one makes eggs the way I like them but me 🙂  In other words, if I were to book with a host who said they provided breakfast, I would specifically tell them not to do that for me. Unless you made waffles with whipped cream, fresh raspberries, and real maple syrup.

Renato324
Level 3

@Sarah977 thank you for your feedback, appreciate your comments. Well, if you ever come to New Zealand, I’m very happy to make you waffles with whipped cream, fresh Raspberries from our garden when in season and real maple syrup which we get from our Canadian neighbour. 🤗

Kind regards

Renato

@Sarah977   I think it shows generosity of spirit to open one's home to guests, and make them welcome. 

One doesn't have to provide expansive meals or expensive cookware to do that. 

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Renato324 

My $0.02 worth, we offer coffee, tea, hot chocolate and Quaker Oatmeal, and as well usually leave a loaf of fresh homemade bread.  Guests have yet to acknowledge these extras.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Helen744 They will. Sometimes just that little thing will make someones day and that day they will thank you. Take my word for it.