Airbnb doesn't take care of hosts

Kristy76
Level 2
Little Rock, AR

Airbnb doesn't take care of hosts

Today I had a complaint about someone not feeling comfortable because they saw a bug.  I responded with "I'm sorry, we will come by and take care of the issue" then they decided they could not stay there.  We went by and saw 2 ants... 2.  We sprayed again (something we do regularly) and vacuumed everything again, in closets, etc.  to make sure all was clean.  We keep the place very clean, and literally only found some dirt in a supply closet we use that doesn't have a lock.  Yet, these guests are uncomfortable and want a refund? I'm sorry... you've blocked my place off from other possible guests.  If Airbnb refunds I'm going to be VERY mad... but what can you do.  They refund I can't tag the guest as a problem for someone else, or get compensated. 

Another time we had a guest who was in town for treatment.... booked the place for an entire month, then decided they didn't like the doctor and decided to go elsewhere for treatment.  They were given a refund by Airbnb.  I sympathize with them, but I fail to see how them changing their minds- fits extenuating circumstances.  I was going to give the guest a partial refund, but really?  Time after time Airbnb is impacting my bottom line by basically taking a guests side even when there is no reason.  If they want us to help them make their money, they should take care of us hosts as well. 

So... tell me.... how do you deal with people who "game" the system?  

I've been doing this for several years and am a super host.  You'd think it would hold at least a little weight. 

What, as hosts, can we do to get Airbnb to start taking care of us as well? 

4 Replies 4
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Kristy76 Vrbo has better host cancellation options & a real security deposit.

With ABB you are screaming into the wind. They can and will refund a guest and no, you don't get a say so. But you should get to review the guest. A very bad review is the only tool that ABB has offered you in this situation. It's a bummer.

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Kristy76 

Thats basically deplorable. I don't have an answer, but I hope somebody will have.

Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

@Kristy76 @Kelly149 @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0  Whenever I have some issues like this, Airbnb customer support told me to send a feedback to

https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback

Hopefully when there are enough hosts have such complaints, they will try to change they way they handle the disputes.

I saw that some hosts use twitter to Airbnb. And the issue was resolved as well.

In terms of dealing with guests who intentionally wanted discounts or refund for free stays, what a host can do is to leave a bad review for their behvior. Eventually they will be kick out by Airbnb when there are three or more bad reviews. My friend accepted one guy who had two bad reviews and wished he could change. But he did not. Then she only could leave another bad review. About two weeks later, this guys was kicked out by Airbnb.

@Mike1034 

Airbnb customer support told me to send a feedback to

https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback

"Give Product Feedback" or "Report a bug". That CS might have well said "Throw your problem into a blackhole".

Maybe the people with any influence in Airbnb should just spend a month on this forum to find out what needs fixing. It wouldn't take long.