Alive and kicking

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

Alive and kicking

hands beach.jpg

Greetings ~

Well now, it's been quite a while since I posted anything on the forums, so I thought it only fair that I start a new thread 🙂

It's taken me almost an hour to reply to all the messages backed up in my inbox. I have to say, reading all the well wishes put a bigger, and even more daft, grin on my face.  Some people even noticed on my listing that guests were leaving reviews mentioning my wife being in hospital.. hey hey, look at you folks, being all internet savvy and resourceful!  Makes me proud 🙂

So where have I been then, eh?  Well, it's not all flowers and rainbows I'm afraid.  Though I'm a positive sort, I'd say the past two months have been what the Queen described as her Annus Horribilis.  This loosly translates as "One's Bum Year" according to the British Sun.  What made the past two months bum?  Quite simple really. My beautiful wife tripped and fell on the pavement, sustaining a massive life threatening injury.  I won't share details of her injuries, or the experience, since... folks on these forums are from many walks of life, with many experiences, and it would do no good to have someone upset by it.  I'll just summarise by saying : in the blink of an eye my world turned upside down. I almost lost her... but, by grace, I didn't.

Life can change in an instant... though I realise now why poets and songwriters have recited these lyrics for centuries.

But enough of that.  Life goes on and things are on an upward trend!  In spite the long recovery ahead, I wanted to stop in and write a quick message about  something positive from this experience that directly relates to Airbnb and the magnificent community we have.

When things were at their lowest, my Airbnb family were at their best.  Stephanie, Lizzie and Quincy organised and sent me flowers, from the other side of the world, which blew my mind.  We had a table covered in flowers addressed to my wife, so when another bunch arrived I figured it was for her.  Then I realised they were addressed to me!  I was sleeping in a chair next to a hospital bed at the time and, although I wasn't looking for any reward for doing that, it was... touching, to know that some folks on the other side of the world were thinking of how rough it might be in that particular moment.  Here's a picture of the lovely bunch that arrived.

Flowers.jpg

But it doesn't end there...

Airbnb hosts across NZ (hearing the news) offered us free accomodation to help my wife's recovery... up and down the country!!  Hosts everywhere who heard the news came forth, in droves, offering us sympathy and recovery stays.  We had offers from Christchurch, Auckland, Waikato and Taupo (top to bottom of New Zealand), it was amazing.  I have yet to take anyone up on the offer since my wife isn't yet fit to travel... but it is the thought that still makes us both smile.  We were honoured.  Airbnb hosts are unbelievably kind and frankly, some deserve medals.  They didn't offer publicly, they messaged me privately, so I know the offer wasn't being made in exchange for some measure of publicity.  Several hosts in my city wrote to me and even offered to roll up their sleeves and help run our Airbnb!

So it has been an experience of genuine kindness.  One that I think we needed to get through these last few weeks 🙂  I hope to be around the forum more in the coming days. It hasn't been possible for the last few weeks and I'll ease back into things as time allows.  Rest assured, I haven't stopped thinking about you folks and have a load of stories to tell!  I promise to find the time soon 🙂

~ Ben

30 Replies 30
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Ben551 thank you for sharing this story. It's speaks to the community's higheset moments, both here on the CC and the Airbnb platform as a whole. As you remarked, we've had more than a few messages from your peers asking if you were alright!

We all wish Angel a speedy recovery and are elated to have your back home on the CC!

Thanks,

Steph

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Susie111
Level 10
Tasmania, Australia

@Ben551  I’m so sorry to hear about your wife being ill.

l hope she gets better soon and hopefully your and your wife life will get back to normal soon.

Lovely to hear from you and l wish you all the best 💐

Lyn3
Level 10
Mapleton, Australia

@Ben551 

We have been wondering where you both were. Gosh, never realised how seriously life was challenging you. Wishing you both all the best.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aw @Ben551, you are both amazing to get through such a hard couple of months.  I felt quite emotional reading your post here, but it is fantastic to hear things on the up and as you say it just shows how precious every moment is. We've got to make sure we are enjoying ourselves. 🙂 

Sending you both a lots of good wishes and I hope each day gets easier. 

Thanks for sharing this. 

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Ben551  So sorry to hear about your wife but glad things are on the mend! I was wondering where you went. Welcome back and sending lots of positive and healing vibes for your wife.

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

@Ben551  Glad to hear that things are on the mend. It is amazing how ones whole world can change in the blink of an eye. We've missed you here on the forum. Praying for strength and a speedy recovery! 💐

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Ben551 
I had no idea where you had gone to however whilst your absence was noted it's still been busy in here.

Do you ever have Guests book in who are in your area for Medical matters?
I've had a few & one in the pipeline, it's one thing I like about ABB you never know who you meet or what their circumstances are to appreciate what we have.

All the best & make sure you both get plenty of rest in your nest. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

Glad to hear things are looking up for you, @Ben551. Best of luck to your wife!

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Ben551   I wondered what had happened to you!  So sorry to hear about your wife, and glad that things seem to be on the upswing again.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ben551 

It's often hard to try and work out in life where the upside of a disaster might be.

But Ben, I can tell you, disaster either brings out the worst, or the best in ones character. It either pushes us apart or it brings us together.

Having experienced the odd disaster in my life I can tell you that strength of character is the most important assett a couple can have.....and I can tell from the way you write, you and Angel have it in bucketloads.

As terrible as this has been, you have been beside Angel since the moment this happened not knowing what to do next, but your whole desire has been what was best for her. She won't ever forget that, and neither will you. You two are going to be one of lifes success stories....

and it possibly took a disaster to reinforce that!

We all wish you and Angel all the best Ben, and I will make a point of catching up for that beer one day!

Cheers......Rob

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Oh, @Ben551  I am so sorry to hear that, I had no idea 😞 I wondered where you are and just mentioned you in my post today .

I wish you and your wife all the best and I hope she will recover soon  🙂

Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

@Ben551 

So sorry to hear of your wife's accident, omg that must have been a scary period for all of you 😕

But it's great to hear you've been buoyed up by all the good wishes and flowers and offers of support (it made me emotional to read about it).

Sending very best wishes for a speedy recovery for Angel 🙂

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

So sorry to hear, @Ben551. Thanks for posting. My world tipped at the end of May when Harry collapsed and was rushed to surgery. He is recovering, and it will be awhile, but we were also buoyed by great kindness.

Best to your Angel and you.

And here's to the New Zealand and Canadian health care systems.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Ben551 Sorry to hear.... Four & a half years ago a stranger punched my brother out of the door of a train, causing a life threatening brain injury. It all required over 1 year in hospital but now he's almost back to normal, doing everything he needs to do & more! - It encouraged me in the early days when others told me stories of family members who also spent months in hospital, but recovered. Here's wishing you & your wife everything you would wish for yourselves!