Alive and kicking

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

Alive and kicking

hands beach.jpg

Greetings ~

Well now, it's been quite a while since I posted anything on the forums, so I thought it only fair that I start a new thread 🙂

It's taken me almost an hour to reply to all the messages backed up in my inbox. I have to say, reading all the well wishes put a bigger, and even more daft, grin on my face.  Some people even noticed on my listing that guests were leaving reviews mentioning my wife being in hospital.. hey hey, look at you folks, being all internet savvy and resourceful!  Makes me proud 🙂

So where have I been then, eh?  Well, it's not all flowers and rainbows I'm afraid.  Though I'm a positive sort, I'd say the past two months have been what the Queen described as her Annus Horribilis.  This loosly translates as "One's Bum Year" according to the British Sun.  What made the past two months bum?  Quite simple really. My beautiful wife tripped and fell on the pavement, sustaining a massive life threatening injury.  I won't share details of her injuries, or the experience, since... folks on these forums are from many walks of life, with many experiences, and it would do no good to have someone upset by it.  I'll just summarise by saying : in the blink of an eye my world turned upside down. I almost lost her... but, by grace, I didn't.

Life can change in an instant... though I realise now why poets and songwriters have recited these lyrics for centuries.

But enough of that.  Life goes on and things are on an upward trend!  In spite the long recovery ahead, I wanted to stop in and write a quick message about  something positive from this experience that directly relates to Airbnb and the magnificent community we have.

When things were at their lowest, my Airbnb family were at their best.  Stephanie, Lizzie and Quincy organised and sent me flowers, from the other side of the world, which blew my mind.  We had a table covered in flowers addressed to my wife, so when another bunch arrived I figured it was for her.  Then I realised they were addressed to me!  I was sleeping in a chair next to a hospital bed at the time and, although I wasn't looking for any reward for doing that, it was... touching, to know that some folks on the other side of the world were thinking of how rough it might be in that particular moment.  Here's a picture of the lovely bunch that arrived.

Flowers.jpg

But it doesn't end there...

Airbnb hosts across NZ (hearing the news) offered us free accomodation to help my wife's recovery... up and down the country!!  Hosts everywhere who heard the news came forth, in droves, offering us sympathy and recovery stays.  We had offers from Christchurch, Auckland, Waikato and Taupo (top to bottom of New Zealand), it was amazing.  I have yet to take anyone up on the offer since my wife isn't yet fit to travel... but it is the thought that still makes us both smile.  We were honoured.  Airbnb hosts are unbelievably kind and frankly, some deserve medals.  They didn't offer publicly, they messaged me privately, so I know the offer wasn't being made in exchange for some measure of publicity.  Several hosts in my city wrote to me and even offered to roll up their sleeves and help run our Airbnb!

So it has been an experience of genuine kindness.  One that I think we needed to get through these last few weeks 🙂  I hope to be around the forum more in the coming days. It hasn't been possible for the last few weeks and I'll ease back into things as time allows.  Rest assured, I haven't stopped thinking about you folks and have a load of stories to tell!  I promise to find the time soon 🙂

~ Ben

30 Replies 30
Casita-By-The-Texas-Bay0
Level 10
Texas, United States

@Ben551 Oh Ben, so nice to hear your wife is doing better!

You are such a positive influence on this forum! I am not surprised you have been showered with kindness!

Wishing your Bum Year is completely over by now, and your days are filled with many blessings!

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ben551 Really good to see you back on here and I hope your wife continues to get better.  You are one of the positive influences on this CC and you have been much missed.

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

All the best to you and your wife @Ben551 🙂

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

Dear @Ben551, I've missed you terribly and wondered daily where you were.  I just thought you were busy hosting and maybe interacting elsewhere.  I never thought you and Angel were going through such a distressing time.  

I'll be thinking of you both often and sending every good wish for Angel's total recovery.

So glad to have you back.  And to hear how people around the world have had your back!

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Ben551 

The last post I saw from you was you Sea Khayaking in some far flung bay, never would I have guessed that your wife had tripped and been injured on dry land. Wish her a full and speedy recovery from us.

Linda1213
Level 6
Vero Beach, FL

Oh Ben!! May your heart be healed by all of these acts of kindness and grace! To tour wife’s healing day by day! Cherish your time!

LBR

@Ben551 

Great to have you back here at the CC and so sorry to hear about Angel but I am very glad she is getting better. Henry and I both send you our best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

So sorry to hear this news Ben. Kia Kaha and much Aroha to you and your Angel. Glad she is on the mend. X

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Ben551 It is amazing how quickly life can turn upside down and backwards. As much as we like to think we have control over our own destinies, a trip, fall, or other accident can show us that this isn't completely true. I do hope that your wife continues to heal and regain her strength. She will be impatient to be fully well, but sometimes our bodies need time. Do try to convince her to be kind to herself during this process. You are lucky to have a community that rallied forth. I hope that they continue to support you [and perhaps even bring some meals to the house.]

Best.

Michelle1358
Level 4
North Carolina, United States

This is simply...amazing.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Ben551 the fragility of our existence is a difficult lesson that comes to virtually all of us sooner or later. So sorry it was sooner for you and Angel. Best wishes to both of you for resilience and recovery.

Oh my gosh, I noticed you were missing from the forum, and hoped it was due to being busy with bookings. I am so glad your wife is doing better, you must have been beside yourself with worry. So good to hear that people have rallied around to offer support, if I was nearer I would cook you both some of my family's Italian dishes.( Italian's think food solves all problems!). If you find yourselves in Ireland ever, look us up, the food, bed, Guinness , or whatever your tipple is, will be awaiting you both. Wishing you both better times ahead.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Dear @Ben551 & Angel. 💛

May I say your cheery presence and  absence has been noted. But I never thought it was more than a standard busy life moment, or a heavy hosting schedule. I flipped myself in a nanosecond a number of years ago, and although had OT for 12 months, only had to endure fractures and a wheelchair for six weeks. This small event was humbling and nothing compared to yours. But it did make me stop and think.

Life’s lessons and it’s fragility is terrifying.......... But it’s instinctual beauty is awe inspiring. I was going to send this image privately, but it may be helpful to others in our community. It has helped me. XX

Thinking of 0CD164CA-12C1-498C-BDE2-D250C162458B.jpegyou both and sending warm and positive vibes...... 🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻

Maree29
Level 2
Carlisle, Australia

Wow what a terrible ordeal for you both.  Yes by the Grace of God you have both survived and are indeed "alive and kicking"

We can all be so self absorbed in our own life that it is so wonderful to hear of simple acts of kindness being shown to others that are not personally known to us.  Reading your story has endorsed what a wonderful community I am a part of and very grateful for every opportunity this business has provided my family with.

Praying for continued healing and good health for your wife and strength to you Ben to continue being a loving husband in the most difficult times.  God bless you both, Maree & Richie.

Stephanie1933
Level 10
Christchurch, New Zealand

@Ben551 

Hi Ben, I am newish to Airbnb in ChCh, NZ and have been reading your informative posts to guide me on my journey. I would love to know how you and your wife are getting on?

Due to your post I just followed you on Twitter and my handle is @airbnbchchhome

Hope to hear from you soon.

Steph