Am I overreacting?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Am I overreacting?

A guest booked next weekend back in December to attend a wedding. I mention legal capacity in the listing, in things to acknowledge when they book and in my welcome message. She is now telling me she will have makeup and hair people as well video and photography people in access of my legal capacity for a few hours while they are getting ready. I do not necessarily mind this activity in itself. It does not sound like they will be throwing a party and yes, they will overuse the resources a bit but they paid a lot of money to be at the house, I am not going to be petty. These are my concerns: I did have an overcrowding issue a couple of years ago. I got a $2500 ticket from the city and had huge issues with my license. It was a full on party deep into the night which is not what these people are doing. However, I do not to be sending a message that can even remotely be interpreted as me allowing overcrowding. Next thing I know, she would want to bring friends back after the wedding to continue celebrating. Second issue is video and photo. From what I have read, that equipment is not kind on floors and walls. I am also worried about electrical grid. This is an old home and if they have hair fans, video, professional lights and other equipment plugged in at the same time, power may go out. And it will be for me to deal with as of course they will not want to be a second without air-conditioning and will claim that I ruined the entire wedding because they could not get ready and will claim nothing but one cell phone was plugged in the entire house. I am trying to figure out the best way of dealing with this without angering the guest but also setting firm boundaries. Should there be a separate contract where she acknowledges the power grid and gives me a credit card for accidentals? Should I be an additional insured on any insurance any of the professionals will have? Or am I taking this way too far? I of course told her absolutely not a sole over my allowed headcount and IDs from everyone.

41 Replies 41
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Inna22 

weddings are always problematic and get out of control - visitors, sleepovers, hangovers, throwing up, etc etc...

I would just say no and cite a part of my house rules where it says "no visitors and unregistered guests at any time of the day/night" And you could mention your security camera if you have one or the fact that you live nearby. Just in case.

Bryan10
Level 10
Feltham, United Kingdom

I'm usually easy going on these things, but I'd also say no on this occasion, especially as you've had troubles and a fine once already. Ask them to cancel, don't do it yourself (you knew that already). 

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Inna22 It seems like you've already said yes?  If so, this is where you can be very direct.

First, you can say that to protect her and all those people coming as well as you, she will need to obtain event insurance:  https://www.allstate.com/tr/event-insurance/what-is-special-event-insurance.aspx

Next you need to tell her that if more people than those you've allowed come, the city of Chicago will charge her $2,500 for overcrowding.

Last, tell her that an older house can be susceptible to overburdened electrical outlets and make sure that the professionals who are coming have some kind of power or surge protection.

The tone should be "let's work together on this to make sure nothing goes wrong on your special day."

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Ann72 yes, the booking has been done sometime ago. This is pretty much the tone I have chosen so far -ended my looong message with "luckily will have a week to figure this out" so thank you for affirming that. I love the idea of her getting event insurance! I did not know it excisted. Thank you!

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Ann72  

As for overcrowding ticket, the problem is that Airbnb did not allow me to charge the guest as part of the security deposit and of course guest was nowhere to be found to pay for it. I do always mention that ticket to my guests if an issue of the number of people comes up and it does seem to work, but at the end of the day I know I will be on the hook

@Inna22, I know that, but they don't - it's about putting the fear of God into people. 🙂

David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Inna22 

This guest should’ve cleared all this with you weeks ago.

It’s her wedding of course but I do feel you’re going to need to set some boundaries. I would speak directly to any photographers or camera operators,  and check that any tripods, lighting stands, etc are going to have protectors to save your floors. Most photographers actually use tennis balls which works really well. You can also ask them to use batteries as your older property is not equipped to deal with this kind of outage. They do this on outdoor location shoots all the time. You just need to arrange it in advance so they turn up with the correct equipment. 

I would explain to guest the reason for the limit and agree in writing on exactly who is entering your property and the duration. 

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@David6 

I agree with you completely. I am sure they did not just start working on their dress, venue, DJ etc so why do guests think an Airbnb host someone they can walk over, dictate terms to etc. I was thinking of asking to speak to videographer and photographer and it sounds like you do not think it will be an overkill

All the people thay are hiring: photographers, DJ's  etc. should  (by law, at least here) have their own insurance and give you a copy of it.

David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Absolutely @Inna22  I work in the industry and seen so much accidental damage. You can take a much tougher line with the photographers, etc. 

Ensure you have something to place all their equipment on when they first arrive. I would be there to oversee. The equipment is heavy and walls get knocked and floors scratched. 

Foot protectors as mentioned for any lighting stands etc.

protect the area where hair and make up is to be set up. It stains badly and many products are waterproof and hard to wash out. Don’t give them your best towels in that area! Most professionals take care, but these may be semi-professionals and not so careful.

I would be ready for anything. Think the best, plan for the worst! Good luck  

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@David6 

Yes, I did not even think about the towels. I am sure they will go for mine as long as they are handy. Why use your owns supplies when you can use someone elses?!

David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Inna22 

Yes better to be prepared. Have a few not 100% perfect towels close  by for them to use. A pack of wet wipes. A few cloths for them to clean up any spills. Nail polish or remover knocked over in a rush, can ruin a beautiful wooden table or rug. I’m sure it will be fine, but I always plan for worst case and then it’s not such a nightmare when and if things go wrong. 

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@David6 yes, these are little inexpensive additions that can make a difference. I am not looking for a confrontation, would rather think it through and be prepared

David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Inna22 

absolutely it’s all about protection your property, at the same time offering her an amazing time in your home. Your listings are stunning, so I’m sure it’s all going to work out great. Good luck and do update us after the event.