Analysis of my 25% refund

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Analysis of my 25% refund

I received my CSV file today. Here are 4 big issues/mistakes I discovered

1. reservations cancelled before 03/15 were refunded to guests in full however were not part of my payout
  2. most of dollar amounts make no sense and do not match the reservation amount, with or without cleaning fee and taxes
  3. most refunds within 7 days were still treated as over 7 days (12.5% back instead of 25%)
  4. reservations cancelled after a certain date were not included (but I hear they are supposed to come in batches so I will not worry about it for now)

I have 30 cancelled reservations so I do not even know how I will begin to straighten it with airbnb. One cancellation at a time? With their rate of response, it will take a year

48 Replies 48
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Inna22 My list has the same problems as yours. Just on a smaller scale. 
good luck sorting it out!!

Elke172
Level 2
Tête Jaune Cache, Canada

The bottom line is that it is more than questionable for a third party provider to void a valid rental agreement between a guest and a host! There is no line in this. The refunds are pathetic and are not 25%. Policies are all in the sudden not there anymore? When a guest agrees to book and then needs to cancel for whatever reason they have to claim their losses via travel insurance. For most it works just fine from my experience with guests that booked directly with me. No company should interfere with valid rental agreements!!! Airbnb I feels at this point can not be trusted, they do what they want.  It is a slap in the face for the hosts. A third party provider should NEVER interfere with existing rental agreements period. I will focus on other companies instead . Trust broken, income ruined and no end in sight with this messing around?! On a monthly base they mess around however they like, that is not right. Who knows what happens with June, July etc...I have little to no  trust left. A reservation that does not get honored is worth nothing. Not acceptable..Super disappointed with airbnb, it used to be my favorite site. Kinda doubt that they have the legal rights to act the way they do, very very sad...

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Elke172 Why should you be paid for a service you can't provide? If your guests are unable to travel, through travel bans, that truly IS extenuating circumstances.... In the UK it would be against the law not to refund in full. If you think the guests COULD have made it legally to your place, then you can fill all your vacancies with NEW guests instead.... - Problem solved! - IF you argue that no one can legally or practically travel now, so won't be booking new trips, well that kinda justifies why the old guests cancelled, doesn't it? - You can't have it both ways....

Elke172
Level 2
Tête Jaune Cache, Canada

What a nonsense. A contract is a contract, meaning the one between airbnb and us. A cancellation policy is agreed upon booking, a contract between guests and hosts. When I block dates for MONTHS in advance, then I certainly expect policies and contracts to be honored! Guests that booked direct with me claim their losses with their travel insurance. You have no clue about our location, when we book etc. So stay out of my business and run yours , cause you have no clue what you are talking about!!!! Hosts have the right to be paid for the contract that is in place. I do not want it both ways, what a nonsense! I expect contracts to be honored. 

@Inna22 I saw the same thing with mine!  I had a few reservations that were cancelled right when it was announced on the March 14 day.  Those were not included in my 25% payouts.  Also, I had a few reservations that got paid out but then TAKEN out for the guests.  Those also aren't in my payouts.

Jennifer1533
Level 2
Nashville, TN

So glad this post is here. Bottom line is most all the cancellations are due to covid and should be honored in the promised 25% reimbursement  plan. Since when does $44 equal 25% of the loss for an entire 3 months of booked guests?!? Airbnb Changes their refund plan when they see fit but makes us adhere to our cancellation plan despite the fact that they are all from the pandemic. I don’t know about anyone else but I’m definitely looking into other rental platforms  at this point. So disappointed!!  

Laurie-And-Craig0
Level 2
San Marcos, CA

I have 17 reservations that would qualify for this program and I have received nothing - one says "pending"(it was a March reservation), one says "cancelled by host" and the rest say, not applicable - separate policy applies.  I have called twice - one person said to just wait because the payments will be once a month and the 2nd person had no clue and was passing my problem on to someone who was supposed to call me.  In addition, I have written 2 messages on the website, to no avail.  I have been a host for 9 years and have never been treated this way by airbnb.  Very disappointing.

James-and-Tara0
Level 1
St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands

We had 25 cancellation reservations and the pity 25% they paid us weren’t near what the total amount should’ve been. They overrided our strict cancellation and do their own thing. They didn’t give us a chance to work with the guests. They robbed us for the last 10 weeks and continue to extend their extenuating circumstances. They work for travelers and not hosts for sure. We see ciass action lawsuit is coming. 

Helen350
Level 10

@James-and-Tara0 When you signed up with Airbnb you agreed to their Terms of Service - which  means no class action law suits. See Paragraph 19:11 of the ToS. https://www.airbnb.co.us/terms 

Elke172
Level 2
Tête Jaune Cache, Canada

We have shown respect and kept all reservations, I expect respect in regards to the policies they agreed too. It should work both ways..

Dear Airbnb ,
We are receiving incorrect payouts - where do i send my invoice for the balance ? as this is against EU consumer Law

Kindly note that we are Business Hosts selling Accommodation Only on your platform

EuroResort Inv Ltd do not sell transportation in combination with the rental / accommodation services and as such do not offer travel packages on your system. Therefore we are not at fault if the guest cannot make it to the property by bicycle/ taxi / plane , walk or any other means. Kindly note that our confirmed reservations have been securely held for a long period of time and could have been rented to other prospective local or foreign guests had we not held them securely. If a guest is local or foreign , living in Malta or not , are to make their own way to the property on check in day.
The properties advertised on your platform hold a strict 50% cancellation policy chosen by us and agreed to by each and every guest as a legally binding contract of sale.
The properties advertised on your platform hold a strict 50% cancellation policy chosen by us and agreed to by each and every guest as a legally binding contract of sale.

if guests cancel prior to check in , we are entitled to compensation of 50% of the total - ( with the exception of your fees for the booking )
If we are not paid we will invoice you accordingly.

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

They gave me $250.14 when I didn't expect to get anything. A total slap in the face compared to the thousands I lost BUT it is something! So, I cannot complain too much.

I've actually enjoyed having a couple months without strangers in my backyard. And it's given me all kinds of time to get everything in order around here. Thanks covid19 for the vacation and thanks airbnb for the free money. 

I will say that it's totally stupid that airbnb is cancelling all paid experiences and blocking future experience bookings until the end of may (and possibly longer) BUT they are allowing overnight bookings during that same time. That's just asinine and makes no sense.  

I'm also anxiously awaiting my $5k grant invitation. LOL, yeah like thats gonna happen!?

Helen350
Level 10

I guess most 'Experiences' involve close contact @Donald28 ....... Whereas you can probably offer yours from a social distance; just let them loose in your arcade........!

But I guess it's one size fits all..... would be too difficult to evaluate who runs a risky activity, & who a comparitavely safe one....

Elke172
Level 2
Tête Jaune Cache, Canada

**[Inappropriate content removed - Community Center Guidelines]

@Elke172  I don't know who you are addressing here, but no one who posts on this forum, except for the forum moderators works for Airbnb. We are just all hosts or guests. There are great differences of opinion to be found.

And we try to keep things civil here- no personal attacks. Your words and tone are unacceptable, and it's not up to you to tell another poster to bugger off.