Another host burned by Aibnb's awful resolution center

Goran26
Level 3
Dania Beach, FL

Another host burned by Aibnb's awful resolution center

A guest lost a key and proceeded to break into the house damaging the lock and door frame then replacing the lock without letting us know. We only found out about this at next guests arrival when they noted that key we gave them didn't work on the lock. We then reviewed security camera footage and found the incident. We also have receipt from locksmith. We submitted a resolution center claim but guest didn't respond. Then we involved Airbnb only to be told that we didn't report the issue prior to next booking arrival. That's not always possible since we only discovered the issue upon their arrival. We scrambled that evening to get a locksmith after hours and reported the next day. Airbnb simply closed the ticket saying decision was final. The ticket was mishandled by Joseph from Trust and Safety dept who seem to be only interested in closing tickets and not resolving issues in fair and reasonable manner. Airbnb is failing hosts and guests with their resolution system and no escalation path to someone who isn't evaluated on numbers of closed cases. The only options are reporting to FTC, arbitration, or small claims?

12 Replies 12
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Goran26 well that stinks, so sorry. FWIW, I won a small claims court judgment against Airbnb, by default-- they never responded, but they did pay up after the judgment was rendered.

Is your court case documentation available on your county's website? It would save me some time if I decide to take that route. The amount in question isn't that much. The problem is being dismissed and stonewalled by Airbnb's one sided resolution system. That is not acceptable. What if damage was more serious?

@Goran26 maybe, if you are willing to pay for it:

https://www.courts.oregon.gov/courts/clackamas/records/Pages/records-request.aspx

Case number 19SC25120

Alex-And-Rhea0
Level 10
Hakuba, Japan

That really sucks! I guess it kinda boils down to the luck of the draw and who you get to handle your problem.

Why not recontact Air Bnb and play the squeaky wheel and get a resolution in your favor?

It's true, there is a lot of inconsistency especially with how hosts resolutions are handled. 

@Goran26    If your security camera footage is date-time stamped you can prove it happened before the new guest checked in and who did it.  Airbnb has a bad habit of summarily closing down support tickets.

I have all the proof on camera and dated receipt. Problem is that I was never given the opportunity after I "involved Airbnb". They just denied it on grounds it was submitted after next guest's arrival. No further consideration was given and decision was final. This is simply wrong and this company that is holding our deposits isn't managing that responsibility in reasonable manner and we are the ones paying for it.

@Goran26   Keep on at them. Try twitter, apparently it gets their attention. Keep opening new support tickets. Airbnb have said a decision is final to me and I persisted because it was worth it. That's a call you will have to make because it can be labor intensive and a time-waster.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Goran26  just curious... how come your cleaner didn't discover the lock was changed? How does she get in after your previous guest left?

Off topic but they get in through back door.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Goran26 

Goran I am sorry that you have had this experience and it does tend to highlight the dismissive attitude Airbnb has towards their hosts.

The thing Airbnb don't realise, or haven't cottoned onto yet is the fact that, each time they let a guest get away with behaviour like this and hide behind some ridiculous policy which was ever only included to serve the company, it lowers the standard of guest we can expect to receive. Many hosts here will tell you 'guests ain't what they used to be'! They are more prone to take liberties, to abuse what the host does, because Airbnb allows them to,  and, each time a CX closes a ticket on a legitimate claim, that closure becomes the standard for the next rejection....."we didn't accept it then, why should we now"!

Airbnb know this full well, that's why they introduced that clause into their TOS stating that if a user wished to use the platform they had to undertake not to enter any class action against Airbnb.

In other words, "we will treat you in any way we see fit, but you are not allowed to complain!" 

By going down the path they are going Airbnb are eventually going to bog themselves down in complaints because they will admit to nothing and the guest can get away with anything. Guests are being given a 'get out of jail free' card every time....hosting will grind to a halt!

Already we are seeing the reputation of Airbnb suffering worldwide because of a failure to protect hosts in high profile incidents, and they have learned nothing. They are still allowing problem hostings to happen, and in some instances we are seeing here, actually encouraging them to the hosts determent! 

Goran I am sorry, but unfortunately it is just going to get worse I am afraid!

Cheers.......Rob  

Thanks Rob, what I think is going to have to happen is new regulation in this space. They created unfair system with arbitration moat and are enabling bad behavior. In 8 years I've been using Airbnb, their resolution system failed me many times as both host and guest.