Approve or decline when guest wants low-ball discount?

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Approve or decline when guest wants low-ball discount?

I never do discounts, yet I keep getting these inquiries from guests making low-ball offers. I don't want to hurt my Superhost status. So what should I do when guests make unreasonable booking requests? Just send them a message and NOT choose approve OR disapprove? Or should I approve but with a message stating that they are only approved for the full normal price?

17 Replies 17
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Pete69

When a guest requests to book, they have already agreed to the price on your calendar. Approve the request to confirm the reservation and payment will be taken. For inquires where guests want a discount, then no: “Unfortunately, I cannot discount the rate any further. There are many options in the area and I hope that you can find one that better suits your budget.” That counts as your response. Leave it at that. You do not need to pre-approve or decline.

@Pete69Yes. This is the case. When they asked for discount, it is not a booking request. It is just an inquiry. You can decline or pre-approve it. It does not affect your listing status. But you may still have to respond it in a timerly manner because it may affect your response percentage.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Pete69  I say : I am not able to offer a discount. You may want to use price filter on top of the search page so only relevant properties come up

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Pete69, it's so annoying isn't it? For inquiries, you don't need to preapprove or decline, you can just send a message. However, what I tend to do is preapprove them with the message that I don't offer discounts but that they are preapproved to book at the listed price otherwise there is no obligation to proceed with the booking (and leave the dates open on your calendar of course). The only way they can access a discounted price is if you send them a special offer so just preapprove them and let them make the decision (unless of course you don't want them at all in which case just send a message).

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

As @Inna22 said, booking requests are different (not sure whether you were referring to inquiries or requests in your post). With a request, as soon as you click on accept, they are charged the listed price. So you could tell them no discounts and then give then a time frame (within the 24 hour response period) to withdraw their request otherwise it will be accepted at the normal price. 

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

Sorry,  as @Emilia42 said...

@Pete69 

Send a special offer with a higher price 🙂

@Jessica-and-Henry0 That made me laugh out loud!  I believe Susan calls that a PITA fee...

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Pete69 

In order to avoid that this discount hunter finally accepts Your price and then leaves You a bad review, may I suggest You double the price in Your calender for the specific days for a period of 2 or 3 days. Later, You can change Your prices back to normal.

Or You put into Your houserules: "Pls note that from month xx to month yy (the specivic dates) there will be a mayor inspection of the heating system and there will be no warm water". So if this person books, it's with cold water only. Or You have a mayor inspection of Your electric Installation and there will be no electricity. But You would provide candles for free.

I've actualy thought about manually raising my price for the current day and then making my stay available for that day.  Come summer time that might actually work. There's a feeding frenzy for stays near the beach. If nobody books then no biggie. I am in no hurry to fill up days because the City of LA charges an $850 fee if you go over 120 days rented for the year.

@Pete69 

So You can rent 365 instead of 120 days and You only get a fine of $850?. That's cheap.

That's on top of the 14% tax and the $89 annual fee. AKA 'highway robbery'.

It just gets passed on (via higher rates) to people visiting LA and translates into less tourists and less money being spent while visiting.

@Pete69 

I understand. But You are renting out Your place for $96, if You sell 9 nights, You can pay for the $850 fine. But for these $850 You get another 236 days to let. That's a bargain.

Anyway, Spinal Tab is my favourite movie too: "my amp goes  to eleven, it's one louder"!

@Ute42 wrote:

@Pete69 

You can pay for the $850 fine.

I don't believe this is a fine. It is a fee which is strangely different.