Back to Back Reservations making me wary

Anthony608
Level 10
Silver Spring, MD

Back to Back Reservations making me wary

I brought this up on another thread too, but wanted to revist the issue now that the guests are actually on my property.  Its a complciated situation, so here goes

1) Female guest booked a room with herself and one guest for 20 days

2) Right after the first booking, a male booked himself with one guest for twenty days

3) It turns out, after asking both some questions, they are guests of eachother.  The female has as the second person the male who then, at the 21 day point, then starts his own booking for 20 days with the original female as *his* guest

4) I went ito my Airbnb account after talking about this orignally and gave a one day block off window between bookings to stop thsi from happening again

5) BUT- the end result of this is that these two people will be in the property for 40 days, yet they split it with two reservations between the two of them for 20 days a piece.  The second guest on each booking is also unnamed (just a generic grey head and the word "guest" although they admitted to me there plan was to do back to back reservations and stay 40 days

I am getting very wary of this and I think they might be getting ideas to simply stay in my property about 40 days.  The female even made an off handed remark that they might need to stay until March.  Am I protected here or should I take action right now before thsi goes any further (they have been here fior one week so far).

4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Anthony608

I think you should contact Airbnb asking to cancel the second booking, as you feel uncomfortable with it.

The female , making the first booking, could also choose to extend her reservation for more nights (you have to approve this), Maybe the "couple"wants to avoid "long term stay cancellation-policy" or act like this for some other reason.

Best regards,

Emiel

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Anthony608  I am not seeing problems with the current guests but you are there and may be reacting to something else.Perhaps the guests are splitting the cost of staying with you between them and this is a good way to do that.  If you have a maximum stay of less than 40 days, that might be another reason for the split.   If each has a profile, are there any reviews?  In the week that they have been there, have they respected the boundaries in the shared space?  You are new so having someone stay a long time can be unnerving as you have to get used to having "roommates" when the stay is that long.  

I don't agree with @Emiel1 about contacting Air BNB unless you are seeing red flags that you can articulate as a basis of not trusting either guest.  If not, then just take this time to learn more about hosting and let the guest be your teacher 😄

@Linda0- 90% of me thinks I am just being paranoid.  They have been courteous and respectful expect for a minor incident where, for some reason, they refused to let me change the sheets on thier bed.  As a compromise, I left a set of clean sheets outside thier door.  The real question is what will they do in February  when thier time is up- move out on schedule or try to remain in the home.  I've had long talks with both the county and  police about this and it sounds like they would just be straight up trespassing if they tried something lke that.  In fact, according to what I was told just today, the female guest if she is still there after the male's checkout in February, she would actually be considered an intruder since her booking expried in January.  Agian, I think I am just being overcautious.  I have just read so many tales on-line about horror stories with AirBNB guests trying to become squatters.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Anthony608

Yes, they are being shifty.

You are correct to smell something wrong.

I don't know what it is, you don't know what it is, but THEY know what it is...

Why else would they do it like this?

I'm not sure where you are in the process, but do try to get a "free day" inbetween the two durations.

Good luck