Being called racist in a review by a guest just to 'rant' and offend the host.

Being called racist in a review by a guest just to 'rant' and offend the host.

Dear Community, 

We were called racist and accused of other offensive things by a guest that misbehaved and did not comply with house rules. Airbnb does not want to remove the review, or did not investigate the review and just ruled that the review will not be removed.

Here's what happened:

[Guest name] ( new to Airbnb ) booked a stay with us for 5 people.

He showed up with 3 cars and clearly with more than 5 peopl. They entered not only the rented space but also our private home without knocking. We first thought it was a misstake and they all seemd to be a nice family.

Later that night at 2:00 , after waking up due to loud voices and laughter we went to the rented space and the sapce was full of people ( at least 12). We told them that our houserules did not allow parties or entertaining of other people than the guests. Our house rules are clearly stated on our booking page and 3 times on a reservation overview that a guests get when they have booked.

We also noticed that 2 of the 3 cars were parked in the middle of the street , blocking thru traffic.

After 10 minutes we made a second attemd to end this situation for they did not act upon our first request to comply nor move the cars, nothing happened

So  10 minutes we addressed them again  by telling them that we would inform authorities if they did not break up the gathering and move the cars.

We also did send them messages thru the Airbn system : Kindly to apply with the house rules and enjoy the rest of the stay.

We also contacted Airbnb and told them what was going on that night.

The cars moved at 3 that night except 1 car and the noise stopped at 4 that night.

The next morning we talked to them briefly and they were not amused, nor were we. Again we told them that they shoudl honor the houserules and that a family/friends gathering in the house is not allowed. We allow 5 guests, that is what he booked for and not 12. We do not know how many people stayed here that night. [Guest] said that he just wanted a stay with his whole family, again we stated that we could not honor that, he booked for 5 and this place is not suitable for a large group of people, or parties or gatherings

[Guest] left that day without notifying us, leaving doors wide open, while we were not at home. Airbnb was fully aware of  everything that happened for we stayed in contact with them.[Guest] just wanted his family party and we were not allowing it so we guessed he had to turn elsewhere.

Now the real case:

Airbnb let [Guest] put a review in; A review that is completely of someone that is deliberately out there to rant, smear and above all to offend.

We were called racist for no good reason. We are a multi colored and multi cultural family and being called racist is extreemly offensive. The review is clearly placed out there to hurt us. Complaining about all there is to be put out there on a review ( putting 1 star on everything and leaving offensive and untrue remarks with them)

We notified Airbnb about it and we wanted it removed for it is clearly not a review, it has no real nor actual information that would inform a future guest about our place, it is just out there to "rant". 

All people that we talked to at airbnb agreed upon the fact that we were in our right to ask complience with the house rules to[Guest], we also got paid the full amount of the stay he booked for.

However Airbnb does not want to remove the "review" without giving a reason why they did not want to remove this review and that is wrong in our opinion.

By letting a review like this stay on , Airbnb gives a platform to guests that can accuse falsly of racism, be offending and above all , out there to destroy good reputation of a host, just because they are angry. Angry because they had to comply with simple house rules and common courtesy.

Airbnb should not only protect guest and hosts for racism in general ( wich they do with they policies) but also protect guests and hosts from being accused of something that is not true and not let 'reviews' be part of a personal vendetta against a host or a guest.

What else can I do to get this review removed???

A part of the review [Guest] left: 

Private Feedback:
Very rude and unprofessional. Very disrespectful and disappointed. Also racist.

Accuracy feedback:
Your guest mentioned some issues that weren’t accurately reflected in your listing description: listing description.

Cleanliness feedback:
Your guest suggested that your space could be cleaner in the following areas: strong odor, very dusty.

Check-in feedback:
Your guest had some issues with the check-in process: entering the home.

Communication feedback:
Your guest had some difficulty communicating with you at this part of their trip: check-in arrangements.

The review by [Guest]:

Very rude, very disrespectful, so unprofessional. I would not recommend anybody this home. They will bother you all night with their personal fight upstairs (they live on the second floor). So unsafe. If you want a peaceful vacation. Do not book with these bad people

**[Personal information hidden for safety reasons–in line with the Community Guidelines]

12 Replies 12
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Robbert-and-Lisa0 unfortunate and yes, it's the rule breakers who leave bad review. Looking at your page, he comes off worse for the review than you do, he's clearly the outlier 

And, it looks like he has deactivated his profile so at least there is that

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Robbert-and-Lisa0 I agree that the current review system leaves hosts vulnerable to retaliatory reviews. And when these are not removed, those low star ratings can have disastrous consequences in regard to achieving / maintaining Super Host status. I am very surprised that review was left up. 

I will say that your response to the review is perfect in scope and in tone. If I were a potential guest, I would think that you were blameless here and the guest was completely out of line on all levels. At least we do have the opportunity to respond, but if you have a goal to be Super Host, that one star review will take awhile to overcome, which is a shame, as obviously you are doing a great job and have 'Super Host' written all over you. Sorry this happened to you, but I don't think you could have handled it any better than you did. I don't know why reviews like this are allowed to stand. Most disturbing. 

Thanks Rebecca for you nice words. We have contacted Airbnb agian and asked them to explain why they did not want to remove this ‘review’ because they did not gave one. We personally think that the person who had to decide did not take or had  time to look into this case and just pushed a button. There are probably many cases like this but we personally think that Airbnb underestimates the impact off a ‘review’ like this. Anyway we will wait again on their respondse and meanwhile we have happy guests leaving today, so we will be fine and moving forward! Thanks again, Robbert and Lisa

Lisa1031
Level 2
United States

You did everything right.   You made AirBnb aware of the situation immediately and kept in touch.    The review is obviously retailiation against you and should be taken down.    I would continue to push them to resolve the situation.    

Thanks Lisa for your support, we will wait for an answer from Airbnb!

Warm regards, Robbert and Lisa

@Robbert-and-Lisa0 it is a small thing, but the comment "Also racist" was left in the Private Feedback, so no one can see it but you.

I don't know if it was deliberate or if they did not really understand how the reviews work, but happily the accusation of racism is not visible.

Hello Mathew, thanks for you input!

That is true, but private or public, it proves clearly that this ‘review’ is just posted to intentionally hurt our hosting and us personally in general. Something Airbnb should be able to prevent when appointed to, or at least they should professionally investigate and not just reply with, ‘ we can not remove this review’ without a reason. If we read their ‘review policy’ , there is clearly a reason to remove it, because it is hatefull towards us. I O W, put out there to hurt us intentionally.

Warm regards,

Robbert and Lisa

Andrea614
Level 2
Valencia, Spain

I had a similar experience 2 years ago, with some guests that first broke house's rules then ranted on me with a review calling me all sort of things (from gay to drug user). 

When I involved Airbnb they did nothing at first and quickly dismissed my case, but then I sent a "nice" tweet mentioning Brian Chesky...I remember that it was during the period when they had just announced their commitment on equality, racism etc...well they pull down that review soon after that.

My understanding is that they dismiss most cases without a proper evaluation, not sure why, so you should persevere in any possible way you can.

Also to mention that it seems they are getting worse and worse every year.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks @Robbert-and-Lisa0 @Andrea614 @Matthew285 @Lisa1031 @Rebecca181 

The comments 'When I involved Airbnb they did nothing at first and quickly dismissed my case, but then I sent a "nice" tweet mentioning Brian Chesky...I remember that it was during the period when they had just announced their commitment on equality, racism etc...well they pull down that review soon after that.' are helpful to those who find themselves in such unfortunate situations and behaviours.

Joan2717
Level 1
Atlanta, GA

Im going through this now so I hope I get a good outcome. My guest actually made 3 accounts and pretended to be someone else. After I messaged them about damage that occurred at a unauthorized party - I was reviewed in retaliation as a racist. We are a mixed family and I would never imagine this to be ok- we should all be protected I totally agree. 

Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Joan2717  That review is terrible and Airbnb need to take that down now!  Apart from calling you ‘racist’ the guest mentions replacing things (presumably stuff he has damaged) yet then accuses you of claiming fraudulently.   Why would he offer to replace if it was not his fault?  So sorry this happened to you.  Keep escalating until it is removed.  Please do let us know how you get on.

Masta3
Level 2
Bandung, Indonesia

That sounds terrible! I hope things get better for you hopefully i will not meet a guest like that, since i am new to be the host 😁