Best method for collecting taxes from guests

Randy4
Level 2
Fort Bragg, CA

Best method for collecting taxes from guests

In the rural area I'm located, Airbnb does not collect any local, State or Federal taxes from the guests.  Airbnb also offers

awful solutions, such as "adding it into your nightly rate" or "collecting it in cash on arrival" - in both instances, communicate

this BOLDLY to your guests.  I pay approx 15% tax on what I get from Airbnb.  This is Federal tax, not local tax.  The local tax will be coming soon, I hear!  Interested to hear how others handle this.  If I incorporate a 15% raise in my nightly rate, am I not causing some "confusion" at the very least with the IRS and State? Collecting it "in cash" upon arrival is AWKWARD!.... I don't want to do that!  It's often awkward enough...the guests are often surprised by the Airbnb fees, cleaning fee, extra person fee anyway!    

2 Replies 2
Marcus0
Level 10
Berlin, DE

Unfortunately the only way i can think of is to add it to your rent charges.  Collecting in cash on arrival is the most awkward.

Louis27
Level 3
Kailua Kona, HI

I make it clear in my listing that Airbnb doesn't collect tax in my area (Hawaii). I then give them the option to pay in cash on arrival or pay through the Airbnb Resolution Center. After they confirm the reservation I send them a message thanking them, giving the tax amount and asking how they want to pay. So far no complaints. If you add it to your daily rate, or put it in a Special Offer, as Airbnb suggests, you will be paying them a commission on the tax. Not fair! To pay through the Resolution Center click on "Your Reservations" in the gray task bar at the top of the page. Find the reservation and click on "Report a Problem" on the right side of the page. It will guide you through the simple process and send the guest a bill to pay. It's really quite painless.