Booking for 2 people, they were more.

Tal1
Level 2
Berlin, Germany

Booking for 2 people, they were more.

so a few days ago I posted a question, what do I do if my guests book a flat for 2 and turns out they are more.

apparently they were more than a couple, as I suspected.

I wasn't really around this weekend so couldn't really find out, but I asked my neighbor from the next door and her told me that he saw a group of people leaving and entering the flat a few times.

in addition all of the pull out couches were open (+a double bed). which means it could be 4 or even more.

they took extra blankets fromt he drawers, and the amount  of trash I had to clean from the apartment (4 giant bags!) could never be made by 2 people.

the girl claims that she had a fight with her boyfriend, and that's why they slept separatly. that's obviously a lie (so why did you need the second pull out couch?!)

in addition, she claimed from the beginning they might sleep separately, and asked for another pair of sheets. so did she know they are gonna fight and sleep alone? 

anyone, it's kind of clear to me (and after what my neighbor told me) she is lying and they were more than a couple.

I sent pictures to the resolution center, I wrote everything I know. but except for that I feel that I don't feel I have much to do about it.

I feel like I don't even wanna have guests again. If they act like this, lying just to save some money. even after confronting them they just keep lying and I find it disgusting.

(in addition I left some alcohol bottles in the fridge and they just drank it all. didn't even ask if it's ok, which of course wasn't.)

4 Replies 4
Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

HI @Tal1 I'm sorry this happened to you. Unfortunately, as you weren't there & can't say for sure exactly how many extra people were there, there isn't much you can do. Ask them for an additional cleaning fee for the extra sheet laundry I suppose and ask them to pay for the liquor they drank? They will probably refuse, but it's always worth a try.

One thing you can do to avoid a future reoccurance is install a security camera at the front door and clearly state that in your listing. It would deter some people from trying to pull a similar stunt. For privacy issues, you can't have the camera inside the apartment, but you can have a security camera on the outside, which picks up all comings and goings at the door, motion activated, records the time, etc. and can be accessed remotely. You can then contact the guests immediately & confront them with evidence. 

We have done this, plus we put in our listing that we will cancel the reservation if there are found to be more guests than were booked in our property, and we've had no problems since. I hope that helps! Karen

You charge a fee for extra guests after 1, you should be able to recover this.  You can recover the cost of the alcohol left in the fridge through the resolution center (which it sounds like you've done). Make it clear in your House Rules that unapproved guests are not allowed.  Also say that Parties are not allowed - use the pre-determined listing info from Airbnb so it shows at the top (not suitable for Parties or Events).  It is a problem for guests to want to have parties in our homes when we are not there on the cheap and there isn't much you can do outside of vetting the guest the best you can in advance and setting expections of what's allowed and not allowed.  You, however, cannot control what they do and they can, and will, take advantage of some folks.  

So sorry that this has happened to you and hope you will get relief with help from Airbnb.  

Max21
Level 2
New York, NY

Can you take money out of the security deposit?

@Max21 - Airbnb controls the security deposit and what is allowed to be deducted.  That's why we're recommending she go through the Resolution Center.