Best smart lock, what do you use?

Krystal16
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

Best smart lock, what do you use?

Hello fellow Airbnb Hosts,

I am going to be investing in new door locks for the front door.  I am hoping I can find something that will meet all of the following criteria

- Can change the lock code remotely

- Tracks the enter and exit times of when the lock is used by different user code, and is downloadable

- has actual buttons to push, (I found the digital touchscreen ones that light up, if the sun hits it you can see the #'s)

- electronically unlocks, I am consistently shocked to see how many people cant hear if the bolt unlocks when they turn it and then push very hard on the handle to try to open, I am re-tightening screws every few months.

What do you use, what are the features you love, what features do you wish you had?  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.  

Happy Hosting 🙂

5 Replies 5
Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Krystal16 I've been looking into this too and the one I'm leading toward is the Schlage Encode. Has all the features you've mentioned except that it has a digital keypad (also not sure about the last point). But it looks pretty good.

Derek193
Level 3
Chattanooga, TN

Hello! We’ve had great success with Schlage Connect touchscreen locks on the properties we manage. We automate guest code creation (last 4 digits of their phone number) with Samsung SmartThings and a third party automation software. Seamless for guest, 5-start check in experience. Also increases security as ANSI Grade 1 lock (highest residential security rating). Allows fully automated and secure check-in which easily makes 5-stars. Schlage is a time tested brand and works with 99% uptime. Hope that helps, best of luck! 🙂

@Derek193 what third party automation software do you use to generate the codes? 

Rory28
Level 2
Tragumna, Ireland

I am also looking at one of these locking systems for my apartments and mainly want it work on the first entry door to the apartments we rent and use simpler key access for the second doors is the Schlage option upto external use also has very poor amazon reviews?

Juliann3
Level 2
Old Saybrook, CT

We have a keypad press Schlage system and it works pretty well. Thinking of upgrading to a the Schlage connect. Wondering the plus and minuses of the e version. I would think it would be more efficient for the host.

Also, can you identify the full names of each guest who uses this system for security and safety purposes? Are guests turned off bc of these potential privacy issues or for guests who are not tech savvy?  Thank you!