Booking defaulting to one guest?

Julia1
Level 8
London, United Kingdom

Booking defaulting to one guest?

I have recently been receiving booking requests for one person when the guest is clearly coming with someone else, in these circumstances I ask them to cancel the request and make another for the correct number of people however sometimes due to time differences etc, this message does not reach them within the 24 hour window so I have no option but to decline the booking - this lowers my acceptance rate and I get threatening messages about delisting.  I think this is happening because the booking option defaults to one guest so not my fault - wish Airbnb would sort out these gremlins!

7 Replies 7
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Julia1 ,

As an alternative you can accept the request and then you (or the guest) can change the reservation to the right number of people (which has to be confirmed by the other party).

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/50/i-m-a-host--how-do-i-make-a-change-to-a-confirmed-reservation

best regards, Emiel

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Julia1 Reply with something like this: I have accepted this reservation with CONDITIONS. You requested to book for one only. You must acknowledge that you have been made aware of this fact. If it is not one you will need to amend the booking as I must have an accurate guest count due to Airbnb and the local Municipality regulations. So until this is amended I can only allow 1 person into the rental.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

I use conditions on replies to request to book and it's been working for me, more times than not they cancel if they don't plan on following my rules. It's usually one night bookings that they are planning a party for because I also mention that we live on the property and can be there in a moments notice if something is needed.  

@Julia1

You do not have to accept/decline within 24 hours.

You merely need to have done something, such as send a message answering a question.

If you send questions and dont get answers for example,then dont accept or decline...wait for the guest to do it, when they realise that they dont need the request open any more. 

Yesterday I received a booking and havent accepted or declined. I answer the guest question and am waiting for furthe contact as the guest has no reviews and I want to see if I can establish some idea about them.

If I dont hear anything more I will just leave it....my acceptance rate is only negatively effected it I actually press the decline button, not if the guest cancels their request.

If that is your experience, @Mike340, then it is working for you, but I would caution @Julia1 and others not to count on it, as the Help Centre does tie response rate to accepting and declining within 24 hours, and not to merely answering.  https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/430/what-is-response-rate-and-how-is-it-calculated

@Lawrene0

"as the Help Centre does tie response rate to accepting and declining within 24 hours, and not to merely answering"

I have not found that based on my stats ...

That's good news, @Mike340!

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

@Julia1, if the only thing holding you back from accepting a reservation is the number of people, and the only thing that made the number wrong was the system default of one (happens to my guests all the time, too) and thus no one is being sneaky, just accept the request and change the number from one to two guests. Tell the guest you are doing that and that they merely have to hit the Accept button for the new guest count. There is no need for anyone to cancel or for you to lower your acceptance rate for this one small thing. 

If they refuse to accept the new number, then it is a problem, but not for you. The guest can either cancel or stay by himself. His second person will have to find someplace else. 

Will that work for you?