Booking request = assumed booking?

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

Booking request = assumed booking?

I think I just need to vent. Has anyone else noticed the increase in booking requests with zero information except, if you're lucky, time of arrival? More and more, people seem to assume that a booking request is a confirmed booking. It never used to be like this - when I started hosting two and half years ago, people communicated with me as if I was an actual person being kind enough to allow them, complete strangers, to stay in my home at a budget price - they would tell me a bit about themselves, the purpose of their visit, how much they liked the look of my home and how much they would love to stay. I don't expect a thesis, but a brief introduction would be nice. Now, nearly all my requests just come with a 'we'll be there at 5.30' or 'see you on the 5th' like their booking is confirmed and I'm some kind of desk clerk or bot. Why is this? Is there something in the booking process that makes them think that a booking request is a confirmed booking? And where is the common courtesy? I would never do that in a million years.

Anyway, I got one this morning from someone with no reviews, no profile information, possibly a profile photo but I wouldn't know, first time user (joined May 2019) and a booking request with the message 'We'll be there at 5.30' and nothing else - no information whatsoever about who they are or why they're coming. Immediately after sending them my saved 'Assumed booking' message (yes, I actually have one of these now), I decided to decline them (and I never decline guests). Maybe that was a bit over the top, I don't know, but I'm just so tired of it. I really wish Airbnb would do more to educate guests or prompt them to provide information, but I doubt that will happen. Maybe we hosts need to start setting a few more boundaries with guests instead of always bending over backwards for them. The guest did get back to me with some information but it was too late. Hopefully, they have now learnt to communicate properly with hosts instead of treating them like servants. Okay, rant over.

103 Replies 103
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Kath9 I think it's because it looks different now, I booked something recently and the ''enquire'' versus ''request'' were not in the same spot like they used to be. Now it is all ''request'' . Took me ages to find a ''contact host'' button which sends an enquiry. I think this is the reason they are all requests now.

@Sandra126

I don't have an issue with them sending a request (as opposed to an enquiry), it's that they just assume a request is a confirmed booking and don't have the common decency to provide any information at all. I just don't think they see it from the host's perspective, that we are trusting enough to open up our homes to complete strangers and we'd just like to know a little bit about them before doing so!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kath9  I really fault Airbnb for not having a little blurb for guests when they put in a request on "Request Etiquette". 

Almost all my guests do send nice booking request messages, but I did get a couple of the ones you're talking about this year for the first time. "I'll be there at noon if all goes according to plan." Well, I haven't even accepted yet, but they already have their plan in place?

I checked out their reviews, which they luckily had, and which were good, so I messaged back saying I'd appreciate a little more info, and they then sent a message back that they should have sent in the first place.

I wonder if some guests are now under the impression that a Request is basically the same as an IB, except for the fact that they don't qualify for IB or the host doesn't use it.

@Sarah977, totally agree. This is exactly what I'm talking about - they TELL you their plans before you've even accepted the booking.  There should be a prompt for guests to provide some information when they request to book. 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Kath9 Yes, I agree with every word of this, 100%! 

I do still get guests with social, cordial messages , giving the reason for their trip, but many newbies who don't, & from whom I have to drag info re arrival times, purpose of trip. It's reassuring to know, even with Instant Book! (Sometimes I send a polite message, telling folk it's customary to tell the host these things in pre-trip messaging.Then they'll know next time.) 

A recent visitor with 3 reviews (& 5* pre-trip comms) said during conversation when she got here, that she'd considered other Airbnb listings which were cheaper on Booking.com...... So Airbnb is seen as just another cheap hotel booking site?? (I wouldn't dream of listing on Booking .com; respondants might expect a hotel, not my clutter, & rather lived in house!)

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Kath9 

My booking question simply asks for the names of each guest and sometimes that's all I get. Two names. No hello, or anything! I think part of it is just poor education on ABB's part, but really, wouldn't basic etiquette skills dictate you send at least a little something like a greeting?

I had a recent request that ignored my booking question and simply said, "Hey. Can't wait to spend the night." Really??!! I found a sneaky way to not have to decline the request if the guest is new and not very savvy. I replied, "I'm sorry I won't be able to accommodate you, but if you withdraw your request, you won't be charged!"

They withdrew the request immediately and I didn't get charged with a decline!

@Suzanne302, good idea! Might try that one myself next time!

@Suzanne302   Haven't you heard? Basic etiquette skills are now an endangered species. Soon to be extinct.

what I have never heard that we get charged for declining an inquiry? Where is that stated? I cancellation yes, but not declining?

@Patrick-And-Katja0, I don't think @Suzanne302 was implying that we get charged, just that our declines are tallied up and we can lose our Superhost status if we decline too many bookings. And we don't get charged for cancellations either, but the calendar will remain blocked for anyone we cancel.

I'm rather new to Airbnb (coming on a one year anniversary) but I'm not all that impressed with their "Superhost" status and couldn't care less. We also list with another online booking service and have had a lot of positive feedback from local residents, tourism groups and traditional B&B owners who've all said we'll do well on our own. I see Airbnb as one option for our marketing but they will not have sole control over our pricing, bookings or marketing. After reading some of the horror stories here on the forum, I'm really leery and even less impressed with their business model and after years worth of hosting family and friends for free, and now booking consistently with excellent reviews, I already am a Superhost! I don't need their endorsement and when I travel I don't even pay attention to that in choosing a place to stay. 

Dear Diane, would you be comfortable sharing the other platform you are using? I started listing with homestay but it wasn't a good fit for my listing - I consider my place a micro bnb, if you don't feel cool about sharing that's okay too& I hope you get some weather mercy in your neck of the woods, Sally

Hi @Sally221

I also list with Home Away. I'm not familiar with Homestay. But Home Away cross listed us with VRBO which surprised me.  We are also a sort of "micro bnb" and I'm thinking of joining the Illinois B&B association as well as the Route 66 Associations, which have been very receptive to having us featured as one of the Historic Route attractions. As for Home Away, we have had a few who were looking for an entire house to themselves, but then that happens on Airbnb as well, these days. So, it seems these services are now all in competition with each other and it doesn't matter if you are a traditional B&B, a whole vacation house rental, or something in between. Just be up front about who you are and what you offer and use these services for marketing. Hope that helps. Thanks for the good wishes for our weather. We are fortunately far from the flood zones, but we are tired of the rain for sure!

Diane

Charlene128
Level 1
Chesapeake, VA

I had the exact experience today. No photo, no ID, no reviews, from Canada,booking for his spouse and three friends.   Not one with ID or photo. No reason listed for their travels— a bit fearful of reservation