Brand new host--horrible experiences

Ann686
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Brand new host--horrible experiences

Well, I think I'll probably be switching to Vrbo, after a very short time and some horrible experiences as an AirBnB host. This place just gets shadier. 

I started off as a cohost, working on the shadiest property imaginable; I was in a bad situation as I had just gotten out of the hospital after my roommates almost let me die of typhus. So I reluctantly took an offer to work 5 hours a day in exchange for no money—just a "free" bed in a hallway. I had to share the hallway with an old guy who snored like a battleship chugging through the Arctic. The old guy was supposed to be helping me clean, but he was a friend of the hosts, so they just let him live there for free, and I had to clean up after him AND ten paying, slobby guests packed into a 3-bed, with no help. The owners rarely appeared, and would not discipline my "coworker." It was absolutely foul. They agreed to give me the cleaning fees for a little while—which didn't help, because their filthy guests were mostly long-term—then quietly stopped giving me anything. But for some reason AirBnB lets them keep renting multiple properties while treating employees like indentured servants.

When I got my own studio apartment, I decided I wanted to make some money for myself. But it only got worse.

My very first guest, on his very first night, had a wild party in my tiny studio. They shattered a mirrored glass door in my apartment and punched a hole in my wall. It wasn't just a hole, though; they cracked the entire drywall panel. He left scattered glass everywhere and a huge mess.

This was less thatn 24 hours after I started hosting!

I had a $1000 security deposit, but what did AirBnB do?

Not only did they tell me I had to let him stay out the week in order to get the money for his stay—even though I was scared of the guy after he put a hole in my wall—they also refused to make him pay for the damage he caused.

He tried to fix the door, but it still doesn't work, and my entire closet (clothes and shoes) was full of broken glass. The dispute resolution employee—who was clearly on the violent guest's side, as they were both young men—googled "hole in drywall" and awarded me the first Google result--about $60!—for ALL the damage this person caused. 

Then they let him write a fraudulent review of my place to defend himself, claiming that it was dirty. Yeah, it was dirty because he was in it! My cat pooped outside the box because he and his violent friends terrified her too badly to cross the floor and go to her litterbox. The ad clearly stated there are cats in the apartment, but his based his complaints on... the fact that there are cats in the apartment. I worked for hours to clean it up for him prior to his visit, and had to spend $120 just to clean up his filth and broken glass. He claimed my ad was "dishonest," when it just didn't say what he wanted it to say.

My next visitor said my place was "OK," then gave it a three star rating just because. He said it was too small for him. It's Los Angeles! 

What does AirBnB do? Because of these two awful people, they not only left 90 percent of the repair and cleanup costs to me, THEY PAUSED MY LISTING.

Yep, they took my listing off the market due to two ratings, one which read "OK" and the other was from a violent drunk who wrecked my apartment. (I had provided them with extensive documentation of the damage and his lame attempts to save money by pretending to fix it; they didn't even look at the documentation, apparently, just talked to this creep and let him off the hook).

Going to Vrbo, and I suggest you do too. The guests there are not cheap, violent liars and the customer service doesn't favor the worst people. AirBnB is becoming a pigsty and they will NOT protect hosts from fraudulent and even volatile guests. (Unless they're awful hosts who treat their cohosts like unpaid indentured labor.)

46 Replies 46
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Ann686 I am sorry you had to go through that. In the first case, Airbnb doesn't have any say whatsoever on how hosts treat their employees, they can't do anything about that. In the second case you should have insisted on canceling the reservation. You should have contacted them as many times as needed, and also you can use Twitter, they seem to be more responsive when the complaints are public. Don't let these experiences discourage you, there are many great people that use Airbnb too. You should turn IB off and select guests more carefully, you can decide only to host females and you can choose the ones with at least a few good reviews. That will lower the chances of things like this happening again. Whatever you decide, I hope you will have greate guests from now on 🙂 

Hosting females only is sounding like a better and better idea. I'm sorry, but guys in my experience are way more aggro. But can I get sued for discrimination?

@Ann686  You can only host only women if you are in a home share situation, not renting the entire apartment, at least for airbnb, not sure about vrbo rules.  You could try to write your listing in such a way as to encourage women v. men.

@Ann686  I'm sorry that's been your experience. I've hosted lots of men in the private room I list, and all have been really nice guys- if they were "aggro", they certainly didn't show that side while staying here.

@Ann686 wrote:

Hosting females only is sounding like a better and better idea. I'm sorry, but guys in my experience are way more aggro. But can I get sued for discrimination?

I suspect it depends on a variety of factors.  

In my experience, the males are laid back and relaxed.  My family prefers hosting men. 

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Ann686 Sounds like some really bad experiences. I would also advocate for vetting guests more carefully: I see that your guest who caused damage only had an email address and phone number. Maybe consider requiring that they have recommendations from other hosts and have ID on file, or turn off instant booking so they need to talk to you before they can book. This may be a good idea anyways, as you have some unusual conditions on your place regarding having to access the space daily for your cats. As this isn't a shared space, you can't rent to women only, but more conversation with guests before booking might help.

I would also consider re-wording your listing a bit. Your wording comes across as being quite agressive. I understand that you want to get your point across, but I don't think that the way you're coming across is going to do you any favours in getting better guests. If you market your listing as being cheap, you're going to get cheap people. Be honest and upfront about your space and your guest rules and expectations, by all means, but I can't help feeling like the way you're presenting right now isn't going to help you find better guests.

From my experience, VRBO guests can be just as bad as Airbnb guests: VRBO does no vetting of guests at all. I had a drunk driving VRBO guest drive their car onto my neighbour's lawn, and they did nothing whatsoever to back me up.

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Alexandra316 it is a shared space although it is listed like an entire apartment. In the description she says that she sleeps on the pull out bed, I am guessing the guest uses the bedroom. 

@Ana1136 I thought the same thing at first, but if you read the listing in more detail, I think she just comes in daily to give her cat insulin. I think she just means that the only bed in the apartment is a pullout sofa, which she also uses as her bed.

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Alexandra316 yes you are right, I re-read it 🙂 I agree, the description could use a bit of editing. 

No, this is an incorrect impression... which you possibly got because I have listed spaces the entire apartment building uses as group spaces. It is a totally private single-person studio. But you have access to a hot tub and patio that belong to the entire apartment comples.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Ann686 

I have to say, I think it's unsafe to rent out an entire apartment and leave the cats there on their own. 

You are basically renting to strangers, anything could happen!!  If I have misread your listing and you are actually also staying in the apartment, then that's a different thing, but you will still want to be careful of the kind of people you host and make clear about the cats.

I would urge you to read around this forum and give some more thought to how you want to host, who you want to host and possibly put together your listing a little differently, and this goes for whether you stay on airbnb or go to vrbo.  Also, being the cheapest place is going to generally get guests who are looking for the cheapest place and they may not be the right fit for a woman living alone with cats.

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Mark116 I agree with you, but maybe you wanted to tag @Ann686 🙂 

@Ana1136  Ha, yes, I fixed it, thanks.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Ann686 do you know that when you post responses to guests' reviews, they appear on your listing for other prospective guests, but the original guests will probably never see them? Your responses are so pugnacious, I would definitely be afraid to book with you. You could be scaring away the guests who will behave better.