CAN'T GET FRIED COOKING OIL SMELL OUT OF SUITE.

Anne10908
Level 6
Denver, CO

CAN'T GET FRIED COOKING OIL SMELL OUT OF SUITE.

Guest checked-out, everything seems to have been fine but for the fact that they fried something, and I cannot for the life of me get the fried food smell out of suite, tried opening windows, running fans, just today added baking soda/Vinegar and lemon left around, hoping that works.  Good thing I did not have any guests checking in soon.  I have a feeling they poured the cooking oil/grease down the drain.  Have tried flushing the sink with same mixture referenced.  NOTE TO SELF: 

1. Never provide the gallon size cooking oil if you do not want your suite smelling like a French fries' joint! 
  2. Keep starter supplies "small" and make a note in the house rules for guests never to damp cooking oil down the drain. 

Currently running the air purifier as well since yesterday but that fried food smell is the first thing that hits you entering suite.  Holding off on doing the linen as the odor is just going to linger.  Going to try washing the floors, countertops this evening and continue to air out, but any other ideas!

5 Replies 5
Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Anne10908 you say u use vinegar...but are we talking about bowls of warmed up almost boiling white vinegar that usually will help greatly. 

Anne10908
Level 6
Denver, CO

Thanks.  Got a few other great ideas too on a Facebook STR group.  Vinegar seems to be a huge favorite.  Saw you message and now boiling some vinegar.  Someone mentioned cloves too.  They are helping with the smell, though am also running some hot water down the drain as I think the oil poured down the drain may have solidified in the pipes.  I will be adding this to my house rules to keep guests from every damping oil down the drain.  Baaaaddd idea. 😞

@Anne10908 Don’t add it to your house rules. Guests don’t read those. Put a note near the sink. 

Oh ain't that the truth!  I really feel like putting notes everywhere in the suite, sometimes LOL.  I love the idea and will make a little sticker.  Also going to get a funnel and have them pour the used oil back in bottle that can then be discarded vs. down sink or even toilet :(.  

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Anne10908  maybe replacing frying pans with and air fryer would solve this problem in the future ( I was thinking about it)

BrankaandSilvia0_0-1642148324543.jpeg

Cleaning and replacing the kitchen fan filter may help. Wash windows curtains and bedding, sprinkle soda on the carpet and then vacuum