Can I talk with a prospective guest on the phone before I accept the reservation?

Jayne2
Level 2
San Anselmo, CA

Can I talk with a prospective guest on the phone before I accept the reservation?

Can you call a guest on the phone to chat before accepting the reservation?

5 Replies 5
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

No, you cannot until be booking is done.  And it is always safest to keep your communication through the airbnb platform.  

Cathy17
Level 2
Blue Ridge, GA

I hate this!  I can tell so much about people by hearing their voices.  I know that Airbnb doesn't want people to book or pay outside but this puts owners in a terrible position.  I am thinking about cancelling my subscription.  

@Cathy17

Well, airbnb may not suit everybody and there are other platforms to list your property.

What if your potential guest has a poor command of spoken English, but the written English is ok - would it still be useful to talk on the phone ?  What about those who do not even speak English but are still able to make a booking on-line and are using google translate to communicate in writing.  Sure, something could get lost in translation, but when the end is good all is good ? Or not ?

Unless you are off directory, revealing your phone number to a potential guest could also reveal your full address from the phone directory and would not be entirely safe.  There are scammers out there.

I am with you. I have been talking with my guest for 6 years and have always had great success.  I think Airbnb is not a good fit for me unless they give more power to the owner.

Debbie60
Level 2
Los Gatos, CA

I thought there was some way to do this when I first joined airbnb.  Are there ever circumstances where a phone call is permitted?