Cancellation policy ignored

Alessandra193
Level 2
New South Wales, Australia

Cancellation policy ignored

I have real proof that airbnb does not have any intention to honour cancellation policies.

Sometimes guest have a change of mind and what a full refund. Sometimes a savy guest who knows airbnb will refund them if they can complain enough will use this to get a refund and ignore a canallation policy which should protect a host.

If a guest can demonstrate a valid reason to cancel then so be it, if they have no proof of a valid reason then the policy should apply or be negotiated.

Taking a long term booking as a big big discount can be risky and can be a big loss to a host if it is cancelled.

I have spent all day running around to please a guest, and airbnb requirments, to save a long term booking from cancellation. It was all for nothing!

Airbnb never intended to examine my case and in fact encouraged the guest to leave promising a full refund before taking any evidence into account.

After hiring another cleaner, asking to visit the guest and have the guest refuse access and told not to come,

after to checking on noise complaints, after chekcing on internet speed with speed tests and calling the internet company this was all for nothing

Airbnb had already promised a full refund to the guest yet told me they were considering my case and advising me to send cleaners and so on,

sounds amazing?

Here is the text,

Airbnb Support17:33
I understand your decision but this case is still under investigation, we may refund the guest accordingly. Please be advised that this is no longer more about cleanliness issues but misclassification and noise issues.

Yet the guest tells me

Kyle did airbnb advise you to leave as I still need to apply the cancellation policy. Today at 17:55
Yes they did, at 4:38pm they advised me to leave and that I was receiving a full refund.
Today at 17:56

How can we trust airbnb to uphold their own policy,

THERE IS NO CANCEALLTION POLICY!
GUESTS KNOW THIS. . A savvy guest will say whatever they can to get a refund and they dont need to say much as AIRBNB will not investiagte your case.

FURTHER DIALOGUE WITH AIRBNB
Alessandra17:54
May I ask did you advise Kyle to leave the apartment.
I feel that this is an abuse of my efforts as host for many years and if you have already agreed to refund in full why are you playing me along all day. I am an active campaigner for airbnb in my very large building complex of 500 apartments, i try to work with the strata committee to stop the ban on airbnb in the building they want to impose.
Please take a look at the number of apartments in my building
There are some that are going to vote on a bylaw to ban Airbnb in my building - they need 75% to pass the law to ban airbnb
Why am I trying to support airbnb?
please confirm this, am I wasting my time going out there tonight to make audio recordings
is a several hour wait time the best you can to to assist me in what is a financial crisis for me
I may lose the apartment
I never had a chance
I spent the whole day trying to please the guest while you have told him to leave! Is this airbnb policy?
Airbnb Support
Airbnb Support18:10
Alessandra, Kyle told us earlier that all you have told him is that you will come there to inspect and not to clean, The guest is not comfortable to continue the stay as well. He is also all ready to go, He just asked me if he can go now as he really feel that he can't continue his stay due to all issues that he is having.
2 Replies 2
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Alessandra193 

It is in the Terms of Service Airbnb can overrule cancellation policies. It is also seen frequently in this community Airbnb takes too easy the side of the guest. We as hosts have to deal with it.On the other hand: according your description this is not the kind of guest you want to stay at your place for long term. Sooner or later more problems will arise. It's a closed case now, give Airbnb your feedback and move on, you have a lot of fine reviews.

Airbnb Feedback

Best regards,

Emiel

Alessandra193
Level 2
New South Wales, Australia

Does Airbnb Ireland  have issue for me to pursue the guest through the local courts?