Changes to Airbnb search algorithm

Sue286
Level 2
Shady Cove, OR

Changes to Airbnb search algorithm

This is my 4th year as an Airbnb superhost. I live close to Crater Lake National Park and have 3 units on my 10 acre property. In years past I came up on the first 2 pages when guests were searching for homes near Crater Lake and have had all 3 units full during June, July & August. This year I noticed a 2/3 reduction in reservations. Then I discovered I no longer come up when guests search for Crater Lake. Seems Airbnb has changed their algorithm and the only way to find me is with the map search. I have called and messaged Airbnb repeated times but no changes. Has anyone else experienced this? For the past 3 years I have taken every cent I made on my rentals and reinvested into the units to make my guest experience as wonderful as possible. Now I am sitting with empty rentals. I am thinking of switching to VRBO!

4 Replies 4
Pernille5
Level 2
kbh, Denmark

I had a friend trying to book my apartment in Copenhagen, she couldn't find it even though she knows the exact address. Seems only Superhosts appear. I refuse the one-click bookings, I WANT to chat with all  my presumptive guests, and Airbnb wants me to function like a hotel. No can do. I've been a host since 2011 but I'm leaving. 

Pernille

This is happening now on the Outer Banks of North Carolina (OBX).  As you said, you only come up the "search this area" on the map when you click the icon. Also dealing with a lot of customer service and no answers. 

I am also having the same problem- I don't come up in the search because I don't have instant booking on-I prefer to chat with my potential guest first- not sure if this is the reason or with the new list description- type of home etc. I hope they change this back- it is already confusing to guest- the outer banks is really several towns.

Christopher1417
Level 2
Santa Rosa Beach, FL

AirBnB's algorightms are a rigged system.  I've had issues where my property doesn't show up in certain searches (like with the Instant Book criteria enabled) and support refuses to offer a solution.

Now my beach house doesn't show up when searching the new beach category.  In fact most other properties around me don't seem to show up.....but some do.  The properties that do show up don't have anything obvious that differentiates them from the others.

AirBnB either is either doing something suspicious to their benefit, or they have crappy programmers, or both.