Checking the property

Ikes0
Level 1
Plymouth, United Kingdom

Checking the property

Hi there, I was thinking about putting my property on air bnb but I go away for long periods of time so I wouldn't be there for up to a week after guests would check out. Is there any regulations about that, and is it advised that I have to check the property after guests leave in a certain time period? 

5 Replies 5
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Ikes0 

Are you going to have multiple sets of guests during that time period? You are going to have big issues if someone doesn't clean/do laundry/change sheets in between guests.

It is your loss if you don't have someone check on the property after guests leave. What if there are damages to report, the guests doesn't take out the kitchen trash, the heat is left very high for an empty house, windows are left wide open, the guests never actually leave ... I could go on and on and you can never take the guests word for it.

@Ikes0 @Emilia42 Not to mention, if there is damage and you wish to open a case, you have a finite amount of time to do so. Someone needs to check your house quickly. [Love @Emilia42 's list of wonky ways guests can leave a property!]

@Ikes0  In this situation, the best thing you can do is delegate some responsibilities to a Co-Host who lives near your property.

The property should absolutely be checked on the date the guests leave, for all the reasons @Emilia42 said as well as the possibility that the guests failed to lock the doors securely. 

An added bonus to adding a co-host is that it gives your guest a local contact who can attend to them if there are any issues (malfunctioning amenities, problems with keys, etc).

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

What you need, is a Co-host.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ikes0  if you're thinking that listing on Airbnb is some easy way to make money, you'll have a rude awakening. It's hard work, and you would most definitely need a reliable and responsible co-host.