City tax

Marilyn30
Level 3
Petaluma, CA

City tax

Hi - I hope someone in the "home office" will read this because I don't think there's anything that anyone else can say or do about it. So, here's the thing...My city/town Petaluma, California, requires me to pay a 10% tax. I would appreciate it so much if Airbnb would add this onto the charges and then send the tax directly to the city. As it is, I give this information in my listing and ask that guests add on the 10% and leave me cash or check. Out of 90 booked nights this year, only TWO guests have left me the 10%!! I'm actually not surprised because no one reads the listing! People ask questions for which they would have the answers, if they read the listing. I put the info at the beginning, too. I don't blame them! When I go to Airbnbs, I choose by location/price/pictures - I don't read all the stuff either.

I discussed this with a rep and they suggested I ask the people for the money. He said it was their fault for not reading the whole listing and they shouldn't be upset or surprised because they chose not to read the whole listing. Haha. NO! I am not going to tell people when they request a reservation (haha, by the way, add 10%!) and  I'm certainly not going to surprise them after they've already committed to the price that they thought was The Price. They might still choose not to pay me and I would get a bad review for surprising them. 

I also don't want to get the money by raising my price. I've considered increasing my cleaning deposit but I'm not crazy about that idea either...

So, Mr or Ms Airbnb policy-makers - please consider adding my city tax onto the charges and sending the proceeds directly to my city. 

Thank you!

Marilyn

5 Replies 5
Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

Interesting, Airbnb is collecting a $30 per day for the city of Berkeley directly from guests- I'm personally worried they aren't keeping track of how each payment is tied to a particular listing. I think you might be better off raising your price by the 10% and mentioning that your price includes taxes, otherwise, you will end up liable for the taxes your guests "forgot to pay", that would be a drag, Sally

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Marilyn30, I doubt that Airbnb would be able to keep track of all the taxes for every municipality and country around the world. The tax you are required to pay should be reflected in your price. You can't expect guests to pay this separately. 

Joan379
Level 2
Palm Springs, CA

Palm Springs requires 11.5% tax. Before I book the reservation I make them aware of the tax fee so their are no surprises.  I send them an offer with the tax included. That way you’re not stuck with the tax fee. Make sure you also put it in the description of your property that there will be a 10% tax add it to the nightly rate.

If they  instant book then you can send them a request through the resolution center to collect the tax before they arrive.

Airbnb now allows you to make the 11.5% tax a part of the travelers initial quote.  You have to turn on Professional Hosting Tools. I'm in Palm Springs too.

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

This had gone beyond interesting into alarming- why is airbnb collecting taxes on my behalf as part of their fee to guests (according to their emails to me) but asking hosts in other areas to do the collecting themselves? It's $30 per night. I am having  beta guinea pig  angst and so glad I sleep at the end of Sept!  If I am on the hook for these taxes I'm filing in Small claims.