Clever Competitor charges $10 fee for Key

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Clever Competitor charges $10 fee for Key

I am blessed to have a shining light as a competitor, Dario.

Although he owns no properties, he is the face on many airbnb no-host bedrooms.

His places seem nice, no nonsense and well-run. His places are always low-priced.

I often wish to emulate him. I just noticed this note in one of his properties.

"Other things to note:

A room key is available by request for a $10 fee. It will be delivered to the room within a day."

It's the best of both worlds!  If guest doesn't care about locking up his room (like me), they don't have to pay.

If guest cares about privacy, he pays $10.

Now, do I have the guts to try this?...

8 Replies 8
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Paul154 I would give a try what do you have to lose. It seems to be working for him. I would be one to get a key personally as I travel with expensive electronic and purses ;D

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

and I don't have guts to ask 5$ for air con 😄 

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Dario might want to read up on the changes in Airbnb rules in Seattle next year - max two property per host. He will need to clone himself 🙂

A quickset lock costs $20 at homedept, why would you charge $10 for using a key ?! Over 2 years no one has lost a key, and cutting another is a minimal cost.

my personal nemesis got himself excluded from the above rules and has an entire building turned over to Airbnb. I can only imagine the joy of being his neighbour...

@Petehe,

I will be watching him to see how  navigates the new regulations. Many of his properties are in the exempt Capitol hill area. 

He is an entrprenuer  who has some solution, I'm sure.

@Pete0

I will chastise you a little bit for buying into the PC correct "Airbnb is Bad" attitude.

Airbnb can be a good force in a neighborhood. We usually have exemplary guests who go out on the town and spend money. Most are "low imprint" on their neighbors. Compared to long-term renters, Airbnb guests use less parking spots and may have LESS late night parties. If guests  have late night parties, neighbors and hosts have more power to shut them down.

Your nemesis may be running an Airbnb that really is a joy to his neighbor 🙂 

The one I refer to - Roy st commons, has 20+ units in one building. This is already not legal in WA - more than 3 units in any building requires it to be a licensed hotel. From want I can tell they also have no onsite management for most of the time.

Capitol hill is not exempt, only downtown biz district, some Dario may need some helpers.

Noel63
Level 10
Coober Pedy, Australia

@Paul154What is a no-host bedroom?

@Noel63

I made up the word "No-host"  to mean a bedroom rented with no host present on the premises. Guests share the house with other Airbnb guests.