Created 2 new listings for refurbished rooms - is Instabook still a huge no-no?

Ros0
Level 3
Richmond, United Kingdom

Created 2 new listings for refurbished rooms - is Instabook still a huge no-no?

Hello All

After a lengthy loft conversion. I have not one but two rooms to list so went through a painful recreate but had to battle all kinds of options to take off smart pricing and the dreaded Instabook.

I should feel happy because I know someone who joined AirBnB and had no choice but to instabook but I still travel a lot for my business so I want a bit of notice and control (and the first time I let the room while I was away the guest locked themselves out while I was overseas!)

I have turned them off for now, and I need to get a CO monitor and a couple of hairdryers to get Business Ready... but is Instabook still a huge bigbear for hosts? I have had a few dodgy requests that I ended up cancelling and arguing my case against penalities from AirBnB.

Thoughts?

11 Replies 11

It shouldn't be a problem for you, if you don't mind "arguing (your) case against penalties from Airbnb. Personally, I don't buy the idea that people will not consider your property if you don't use instabook, and I like to ask a few questions first before accepting a guest. Since Airbnb manages to ignore that I require a prep day before and after each guest, I can usually catch that if no one is allowed to instabook. Without that ability I'd be in the position of having to argue my case too. Try seeing what happens without it for a few weeks, you can always add it. 

Barry-and-Lera0
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

@Ros0: We are not a fan of Instant Book and it has never hurt us by not using it as far as booking goes.

Ros0
Level 3
Richmond, United Kingdom

Thanks for the feedback - I have noticed that unless I have Instabook, I can no longer specify verified IDs which really does worry me. I tried to search for my listing and I had to specifically put my road for it to come up, so I guess we will see. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

Personally, I love instant book and couldn't imagine hosting without it. 

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

@Ros0 I use instant book aswell and I don't mind or feel less secure. I have those demands about having profile picture, verified id, recommendations from other hosts - meaning no newbies. If I don't have IB turned on I won't be in the top of the list when guests search. There is a lot of competition in Copenhagen. Also I can cancel any guest I feel uncomfortable with contacting airbnb without being penalised. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ros0

Almost all my booking come as a result of Instant Book and after being against it for my first year of hosting (mainly due to negative comments here on the CC) I now regard it as a great way of booking.

I find IB guests much easier to deal with....they don't want to ask lots of questions, they like what they see and just want to book and stay.

Response time issues disappear! You don't have to respond within a set timeframe to an IB booking, the booking automatically takes place and all you need to do is send a welcome message when the opportunity presents itself.

If I had to stop using Instant Book I would give hosting away. There is no way I would go back to endless haggling with guests who are hell bent on trying to get you to offer something you don't!

I have been hosting for long enough to make a reliable judgement call on this with more than 240 Airbnb stays, and the only times I have had reason to regret a stay is when it has come to me as a booking request!

IB....I love it!

Cheers......Rob

Ros0
Level 3
Richmond, United Kingdom

Thanks for the view from the other side. I think the best thing is to try and use it when I am in situ and when I am away on business and maybe not on hand to leave keys in lockboxes I might go back to requests (although if I keep the diary up to date that should not be an issue)...

Away at the moment and the rooms are set to be available from 1 Feb when I am back so will switch it on then... At least I seem to have the option to switch it on and off and I think having verified by Gov ID as a given has been key for me in the past.

Many thanks for your contributions.

@Ros0  I have used IB since it started and find it is getting even better.  Like others, my IB requirements include gov't ID and positive reviews.  However, since my listing is a private room and I am always present, I can react to any untoward problem immediately.  Since you also allow guests while you are remote, have you considered engaging the assistance of a co-host?  That might solve some issues.

History on the IB is that Air BNB represents BOTH hosts and guests.  As Air BNB became more dominate in the travel industry, it needed to be more guest friendly where appropriate.  I know that many hosts feel that Air BNB is guest-centric, but that has not been my personal experience.  As I am also a guest, I appreciate IB where appropriate.

Ros0
Level 3
Richmond, United Kingdom

@Linda108 That is quite encouraging to here. I traditionally never used to let the place out when I was not at home although both rooms are also listed on various Monday to Friday sites so that might not be as bad an option.

I recently signed up to nextDoor in my local area so co-host might be an option as I do have a lock box. The one occasion I spoke of the guy arrived as I departed and luckily for him I was up super early with jetlag when he locked himself out!

Like @Robin4 I was put off when I initially listed my spare room from instabook and I had a run of awful requestors:

1) Wanted to stay after a hospital operation and wanted me to pick him up in an uber and allow a private nurse to be in the premises for 8 hours after the op
2) Party boy who wanted to add his brother but not pay and told me not to wake him up on th Sunday because he would be hungover
3) Couple who said they couldn't verify their Ids or credit cards so howsabout a wodge of cash 
4) Someone who had great reviews who wanted a video website to look over the property, a huge discount (which I discounted twice for her for a potential 6 month stay) and then wanted me to pay her fee and move my car so it was easier for her to park!!!

I have had great people (include someone with an estate car who had NO problem parking!)

OK - I will give it a try and turn on Instabook once I am back from this trip. Both room sare prepped and ready to go, but I have just had a loft extension done (for me to live in!) and oh my god the dust never ends! So the cleaners are giving it a blitz and a neighbour is putting away my mail so when I get back next week it is completely ready to go from 1 Feb. Gives me a couple of days to turn it on. 

I guess I can always turn it off when I am away for prolonged period of time if I can't find any Co-hosts in the area, or if the other room goes for Mon-Fri, at least there is someone in the house at the same time.

Thanks again for your feedback - most useful

Love your energy, @Ros0!  Good luck!

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

I use instant booking on all three of my listings and have no regrets. However, I am not sharing a space.