Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Damage to my mattress

Charlie6
Level 1
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Damage to my mattress

A patron was sick on my matress, but they chose not to inform me and leave it there.
Which is frankly horrible. The only problem is, it was on the spare mattress which I only use when they ask for

extra beds.

So I only discovered it after I have had about 4 visitations(since the last time I definitely check the mattress).
I have a good idea of who used the mattress last, as they also put it away. However, since I left a review already under the false assumption that they were good guests - It won't let me contact them.

I have had to throw the mattress away. So what do I do to 1) Recover my costs 2) Shame the guests for poor behaviour.

2 Replies 2

Hi @Charlie6,

You cannot use the resolution center now since it has been more than 48 hours since checkout.

Do you have a security deposit option enabled? In that case you might be able to recover the amount, but I'm not sure if that too is time bound.

So you have pictures of the damage? I guess not since you've thrown away the mattress, otherwise, if you have evidence, you could contact Airbnb for some suggestions on how to recover the amount.

Imp. lesson learnt, detect problems asap and take pictures before discarding.

Good luck

Jeet

Suzanne25
Level 2
Blainville, Canada

wow .. this is bad .. feel sorry for you... I'm working in claims dept. for a major co. and have to say that .. the 1rst thing to do when you need to claim anything is to make sure you do it as fast as possible ... the fact that you didn't report this issue at the moment of the damage will not work to good for claiming it, also as you said .. you already did your reviews.... that was the 2nd mistake, as now you cannot reverse and say something bad, this will look like you  did not inspect your place after they left ...and finaly you cannot  blame them after a long period or time, as your guest could come back and denied that, and you wont have to much arguments .... do you have any invoices for the matress ?, did you take any pictures of the damage ?  ....  first report the issue to Airbnb in details .. as many as you can remember ... " conversation in writing regarding the request of the extra bed, when ..dates, time, name of the person that request the extra bed, how they left the place ... did you talk to someone just before they were leaving .. is any cleaning was done just after they left .... just think of what could of happend .. like ... that night ... noise, loud music .. empty bottle of alcool, dirty towels .. anyting ... hope that will help you ... good luck  🙂