Damages caused by guest

Sara835
Level 2
Venice, Italy

Damages caused by guest

Hi everybody  ,  I've been  a  new  host with airbnb since  May 2019 and  until mid of August  I've  always  had  fantastic  guests and  excellent reviews.... at my apartment in Venice.   Unfortunately mid of August I have got  my first negative experience:    damages  to my  brand new wardrobe  a very visible  crack on the  wooden wall caused by  a punch, deep scratches and marks to the bedroom walls, damaged table lamp, hole in the  sofa  cover sheet and  besides that  all bedlinen as well as   mattress  protection covers  (fortunately I had  put  2 of  them and one was  waterproof) were  soaked  with urine, all this  mess  was caused by  a young  couple ( without  children)  who stayed 4 nights  at my apartment in Venice. Since the  damages  are  higher  than the  deposit money (300 euro) which is requested  for  booking my apartment, and the guest  replied  he  doesn'  want  to pay  for damages, although  he admitted causing  them on a  whatsapp message he  sent  to me....

I  have immediately  involved  airbnb through the resolution  center, according to procedure . After more than 10  days , no  answer  yet!  I 've posted  all pictures of damages   and  I have  got all  written estimates  to replace  the  damaged  wardrobe and the other reparation works . Since  the apartment is located in Venice old  city centre,  transport costs only,  by  boat,   amount to 450,00 euros....and I have  got the documents  that  prove  the  transport costs and all the rest.....  When  shall I get  an answer  from AIRBNB  ?? and  who is  going to pay  for  the damages? I'm  very  frustrated  and  disappointed I haven't got  any  answer  from airbnb  yet!!!  neither  about the  deposit  which  should  have been  blocked on the  guest's  credit  card, nor  regarding the  rest  of  money  due  to replace the wardrobe and repair  damages.....

How  can I  get in  contact  with someone  from  the resolution centre  team or  any  AIRBNB manager  responsible for  damage claim? When  I call airbnb support  number, they  say  they   send messages tourge  the   team to contact  me  but  they  don't put  me through  anybody  in charge  of  dealing with this matters.  

thank you  for  your  help!!!

Sara

6 Replies 6
Victoria329
Level 2
Squamish, Canada

Go into ‘Get Help’ at the bottom is Contact ya go to ‘it’s something else’ you will see Call us. 

They have been very good with fixing our problems. Good luck 

just came cave from Venice. Amazing place. It’s just so sad when you come across ‘Stupid humans’. 

Victoria329
Level 2
Squamish, Canada

Did I read that correct? $450,000 euros? Momma Mia ! 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Sara835 

small damage claims up to 200€ are resolved quickly, more costly ones takes some time. If your security deposit is only 300€ then Airbnb can not take more from your guest . In this case you should get paid from Airbnb host protection found. 

Be persistent and good luck

Eilis2
Level 2
Dublin, Ireland

Goodness!  I need to charge a higher security deposit!  My experience of getting help from Air BnB is not good!  The organization is now too big, and swamped by its own bureacracy.  They can't solve the siimplest problems so I wish you luck.

David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I think you need to be exceptionally realistic. Airbnb will no way pay huge transportation costs. They would maybe look at paying for a retouching or revarnish. But I doubt even that. 

As soon as an incident occurs CALL airbnb! This must be as soon as guest departs and MUST be BEFORE any new guest arrives!!

Follow up via resolution centre with a realistic claim. documentation, pictures (hundreds of them) video everything . If actual damage was caused file a report with the local police. 

Tell Airbnb local police are involved.. Say you are ‘out of my mind,  what is next!’ Phone every day if they ignore you. Don’t give up. Escalate your case if you don’t get a favourable response. Good luck 

Kaylee18
Level 10
Hamilton, Canada

@Sara835   One suggestion.. ALWAYS communicate with your guests through the Airbnb app, not through text messaging, WhatsApp, etc. That way all your conversations are recorded through Airbnb. (I know you can always provide the conversation you had in WhatsApp, but you never know if Airbnb will give you a hard time for that). 

Best of luck!