Day 2 - Grateful for Creative Outlet

Carla81
Level 4
Sherwood Park, Canada

Day 2 - Grateful for Creative Outlet

picture.png

During this Christmas season, I am making a concerted effort to be grateful. With the world still in turmoil and our futures uncertain, it’s important for our mental health to look towards things that are positive in our lives. For my husband and I, our Airbnb is one of those things.

There have been times when our Airbnb has literally kept us financially afloat. It is a semi-passive source of income we wouldn’t have had during the height of COVID. On top of that, it has been a creative outlet for me.

The first time we opened our Airbnb, I wanted to make it different. I wanted to stand out. The best quality furniture went into it and every little detail was considered. We called it the Silver Birch Oasis because the pièce de resistance was a bed made from birch trees. We had a local artesian make the bed on-site and featured it heavily in our listing. Fluffy crisp white duvets, a welcoming basket, and luxurious shampoos awaited our guests.

Just before COVID hit, my daughter moved in, and we tore the Airbnb apart and took the listing down. A year later, with my daughter ready to move on, I turned my thoughts back to decorating. The bed was gone, and our furniture had found a new place in our own home. While I was excited to decorate all over again, I was concerned about investing a lot of money again when things were so uncertain.

Then inspiration struck. I purchased a fake black leather couch set, a retro metal dining room table, and a mismatched assortment of chairs. I scoured the local Facebook marketplace for other finds; retro records, a telephone table, posters, and cups. Before long, the Hippy Hideaway was born!

Guests entered their bedroom through a macrame curtain panel and found a lava lamp and hanging textiles, and a small yoga area. A record player is available in the living room and a beaded curtain separates the dining area from the living area. Posters of long-ago concerts adorn the walls and butterflies flit along the walls.

Could I live every day in this type of décor? Probably not, but through my Airbnb, I was given an opportunity to dream, imagine and vent my creative spleen so-to-speak. And for that, I am beyond grateful!

https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/9432651?guests=1&adults=1&s=67&unique_share_id=c36fb64f-2ff4-4398-8573-c...

10 Replies 10
Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Carla81I love it! I'm also a massive Banksy fan ( I have several of his prints in my home), so I love the Einstein print. Great job!

Carla81
Level 4
Sherwood Park, Canada

Thanks! This picture shows what it was like as the Silver Birch Oasis - the bed was so much fun!Screen Shot 2021-12-02 at 4.52.58 PM.png

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

wow! @Carla81 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Gorgeous @Carla81 , That bed frame is great and so sustainable.

Does the telephone still work as a landline?

Where did you get the macrame curtain from?

It seems to have made a little bit of a comeback during the last year or so.

Carla81
Level 4
Sherwood Park, Canada

The telephone is just for decor although it might work I don’t know - I don’t have a landline myself to try it out on 🙂

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Love the creativity of the place @Carla81 - Thank you for sharing with us. Truly a positive outcome from having the chance to pause for a second (or a few months) and putting some thought into it 😃

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Carla81 They say a change is good as a holiday and this is what you are offering your guests. As your painting points out "Love is the Answer". Obviously, you love what you do. 

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Now @Carla81, being from the tropics, if I had a bed like that, I’d be worried a green tree snake and some frogs might cohabit in it! But otherwise it was quite dreamy. 

But I like the new quirky interior and vibe. Positivity that will be infectious. Also, much easier to change the smaller details if you ever want to reinvent again. They are some great core pieces and detailed art pieces that you’ve added. 💐

Linda3273
Level 10
Sooke, Canada

Bravo @Carla81 that pad is so groovy - I love it. It takes me right back to the '70s which were a lot of fun back in the day. Being grateful is also what resonates with me as COVID has changed all of our lives and we don't know if or when it will ever be the same. Continued success on your Hippy Hideaway and may 2022 be your Flower-Power year.😎  

Linda
Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Love the tapestry. Absolutely gorgeous. Also the tree bed was fab. What happened to it?