Day 25: MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!

Wende2
Level 10
Church Creek, MD

Day 25: MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!

e13a0b8060c78dd3185c515aba314fb67bfb2fe7.jpeg

Happy Birthday Jesus.!

and a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS to everyone.!

I didn't know what to contribute, then thought at 61 yrs old, I'd talk about my own Favorite memories of Christmas. Although I read you guys have talked about being on AirBnB, which I have had much success myself over the past 16 months, but, today I wanted it to be all ABOUT Christmas~~~~~*

My family owned a small mobile home park in Maryland, built before I was born. My mom ADORED Christmas, everything about it. I remember the park driveway being decorated with giant candles on one of the 3 street lights, and carolers on the other 2, Santa and some reindeer on the roof of the "wash house"...aka small 2 washer 1 dryer laundromat...

My brother Earl is a wonderful artist an she would have him draw Christmas scenes on the glass of the lamp posts, and on the picture window of our home. There was also a "candle" in every window, including the basement, and the tree with the really nice silver icicles, anyone my age must remember those, you can't find anything like them anymore, at least not here where I live. We had a string of bubble lights too, one year a bubble light burst and left a red splatter on the wall. Mom would go to the factory were Wolfgang candies are made in York Pennsylvania the week of Christmas, she ordered enough boxes for the people living in the park and plenty for our entire family.

We'd load up my wagon Christmas Eve and off I'd go on my deliveries, they would all be SO happy when they opened the door and saw me, that is some really delicious candy, my favorite, a chocolate covered marshmallow with a peanut butter center, also the largest in the box. When I was 14 mom let me skip school and go with her and her friends to pick up the candy, and we went Christmas shopping afterwards, it was the BEST. It was also the one and only time I got to go, one friend couldn't make it, so there was room in the car for me.

I have photos of mom holding me in a rocking chair and we're sleeping next to our Christmas Garden. The village had everything from houses, people, pets, a pond with skaters, and a logging station the train would stop at to load, another area to unload. It was probably 10 feet long by 6 feet wide. That was another favorite thing, I really had fun watching and driving that train. I think that was a tradition that came from Germany with my ancestors. Thinking back now seems odd that I/we, spent so much time playing with that train set. To be honest, I think I enjoyed putting the houses, people and pets in the neighborhood the best.

Then, finally Christmas morning. At my house Christmas morning, Dean Martin was on the record player, an wonderful scents drifting from the kitchen, a pile of presents for my bothers an I, an a cozy fire burning away. I have always Loved dogs for as long as I can remember. When I was 6 I'll never forget Santa giving me a toy dog named Gaylord, he was a magnificent Bassett Hound, and I adored him.!

My Love of horses had Santa bring me a horse on springs that I bounced away the hours on the following Christmas. I must confuse when I was older I was a snooper, I remember one yr mom left all my gifts in a big bag where I could easily find them, and I did. That was the worst Christmas, I knew everything I opened was coming, not one thing was a surprise, never snooped again after that yr.  I remember our church had a talent show every Sunday evening the week before Christmas. My friends and I always wanted to sing, and the lady in charge always wanted to put on a play. So there was singing, music by the kids that played instruments, and a short play. There was a nice feast afterwards in the downstairs hall, enough food to feed everyone and then some. With a table of every dessert imaginable, the best part of the dinner. At some point we in the youth group would go caroling.

I think that's a lost tradition nowadays, and it's a real shame.  After graduating high school I moved to Maryland's eastern shore where I live today. I have one daughter who is the sweetest. When she was 6 she wanted to give me gifts from herself, she had wrapped up a winter scarf that came on her coat, she told me she didn't like the scarf, and a pair of mittens that were too big for her. As long as I have my brain intact, I will remember that Christmas forever.  My 3 grandchildren are just as dear to my heart.!!

It was fun remembering the past to share with you, I could tell you some more, but this became a novel really quick.

What's your favorite memories of the Holidays over the years.?

I hope you made some new Fabulous Hanukkah memories, have the best Christmas ever, adding to your own Christmas memories, and memories of your Kwanzaa celebrations......

I leave you with my Favorite version of...Christmas time is here......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iAaEH_dR_Y

14 Replies 14
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

thanks @Wende2 for sharing your kind deeds at Christmas.

Such a wonderful mother you have to learn good traits from.

I hope those you shared your kindness with follow in your footsteps and do the same unto others.

All the best

Merry Christmas Helen.....Yes she was a Wonderful mother, I learned so much from just watching her.  Have a Great New Year.!!

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Wende2, Merry Christmas to you! Happy Hosting in 2020! 

Hope your Christmas was Great.  Yes, Happy hosting in 2020, may our guests all be kind, and CLEAN.!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Wende2  A friend told me a story where she also found some Christmas presents hidden in her mom's closet and snooped. There was a pair of shoes there for her that an aunt had sent, that she absolutely hated. She had the most miserable time knowing that she'd receive them on Christmas morning, which was a few weeks away still, and then have to act surprised and grateful. It definitely cured her of snooping for presents again.

Guess we snoops deserve what we get, sure taught me a lesson.  Wonder if the shoes fit, be a good excuse to return them   =^)

Hope you had a Great Christmas.!

Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute, 

Merry Christmas @Wende2 for you too. Many thanks for sharing this ineresting and great article 

Thanks, 

Miloud

I hope you had a Wonderful day.!!

Laura2484
Level 10
Ohope, New Zealand

The joys of Christmas and the special memories made, we all have these and hold them dear.

Thank you for sharing yours @Wende2 .

One of my favourite is also a childhood one and because it is Summer in December for us, I associate endless days of beach fun, swimming and building sand castles.  By the evening , we would be falling asleep almost eating our dinner. We never could stay awake to peek what Santa had left us under the Christmas tree. 🌲

Warm Festive wishes

Laura

Ōhope Beach, NZ.

Sounds like you have some fond memories too.  I live on Maryland's eastern shore, about half way between Maine and Florida.  When I was a kid it was really cold this time of year, lately it's been getting warmer and warmer, today was a balmy 53*, 20 warmer and we could have gone swimming and played at the beach, 40 - 50 yrs ago it would have been 20 colder then today.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Wende2  53 is swimming weather? You're a far more hearty soul than I 🙂

Oh gosh NO, I meant if it were 20 warmer here, 73*, that would be swimming weather.  Have you seen Jonna Jinton on YouTube, she's in Sweden, sharing if you haven't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyuRRWC5GY8

Giuliana142
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

@Wende2 @Sarah977 @Laura2484 @Miloud0 @John1080 @Helen427 @Stephanie @Lizzie 

Amazing video clips. Thanks for sharing in this holiday season 🙂

Romeo and Juliet send miles of smiles and love and peace to all - very happy new year 2020!

385C64F5-653B-4B24-9BD7-6A55326636D4.jpeg

Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute @Giuliana142

Thanks for your message too. Romeo and Juliet are so beautiful, tell them so many thanks from me 

Merry Christmas 

Thanks, 

Miloud