Determining which guests left lower reviews to determine what could have been done better.

Brett18
Level 1
New Orleans, LA

Determining which guests left lower reviews to determine what could have been done better.

Hi Hosts,

We just recently started being a host on AirBNB and have gotten about 10 reviews.  We have had a few that have left 4 stars on a few of the items asked about.  The written reviews that we recieved from the guests don't mention anything that could of been imporoved in order to recieve the 5 star review.  Is there a way to determine which guest left the 4 star review so we could try and start a conversation with them to determine what we could have done better??

Thanks for your help.

-Brett

7 Replies 7
Melanie58
Level 10
Boise, ID

I think before I joined airbnb I would have been one of those four star guests.  In my mind, a three star location is "average" - as advertised, as expected, and thoroughly good.  a four star location is "better than average", and a five star location would be "the best thing that has EVER happened in my life!".  I am guessing if someone left you four stars, but nothing negative in comments, they meant that your location was at least average, if not better than average.  For instance, if looking for hotels, I am usually happy to book a three star hotel because I am usually looking for a three star experience.  Nothing too fancy, just clean and cheap.  I wouldn't think twice about booking an air that had only 4 star ratings.   

Now that I am hosting, I feel bad because I understand how important five star ratings are for hosts, but looking at your profile and listing, I would happily stay with you without batting an eye at any four star ratings.  Also, if it is helpful, as a consumer looking at your listing, your aggregate shows five star everything- a prospective customer would never know you had any four star reviews.  So even if you have gotten a few four stars, it must not be enough to impact your overall.  

Deborah70
Level 2
Shawano, WI

I have had the same thing happen.  The last two guests left 4 stars, but didn't say that there was anything wrong.  I received an alert that said "you have received less than five stars on the last two ratings"  which lead me to believe I need to do something about this.  I have a guest staying here now and I left a little card on the table that said, "We strive for a 5-star rating, so if there is anything we can do to provide you with the best stay possible, please do not hesitate to let us know."  We will see if that helps.  

I, too, think that some people would just typically leave a 4-star rating unless it is over the top.  We just need to represent our listing as best we can and include anything that might be considered an issue.  

James1
Level 10
SF, CA

I keep a spreadsheet to track every guests' star ratings. On the airbnb web site 'stats' tab you can click on 'Show Details' in the 'Ratings from Guests' section. That will show you what the last guests' star ratings were for each listing you host. Keep it in a spreadsheet. I like to know. If that guest that just left, and gave me 4 stars for cleanliness, comes back, I'm ready for her. I'll clean extra hard and I will tell her, smiling and jokingly,

"Kathy, you only gave me four stars for cleanliness last time you were here, so I cleaned extra hard for you this time and I hope I'll earn that big 5 ;-)"

It's all part of the 'performance' as airbnb host. Part of my job. 

Roger17
Level 10
Thomaston, GA

Great advice in the replies and I really like some of the ideas and think I will try those.  I already leave a card in my two rooms welcoming the guests by name and I could easily add to them.  Thanks, Roger

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I really love this conversation!  I like that hosts are concerned about ratings but can have a realistic expectation about what the ratings reflect.  I am one of those who rarely give the highest rating to anything I review but can see how that might have untoward consequences.  I like the suggestions given thus far and want to chime in with a suggestion of my own.  Perhaps as hosts we can think of what extra element might be a bit "over the top" and provide a wow factor.  I provide white terry cloth robes to my guests to use for the spa or just to sit around in.  So far, guests have been pleasantly surprised by the amenity.  Just a thought...

Once I am certain they drink I give them beers or wine.

Hi Linda,

I thought your post was really interesting. Like you, I too work really hard for 5 stars ratings... But because the rating system here is so over the top strict, I can't risk having a Guest leave any 4 stars ratings a 2nd time if they've given me 4 stars in the past (unless I know I was at fault, which was/is the case when I first opened a new room, when we're doing remodeling to improve, etc., which is what we've been doing the last couple of months, so we factored in lower star ratings and knew we would take the lost of the "SuperHost" status, but decided to do the renovations anyway to be more profitable in the future)....But, under "normal conditions", if I've done 100% on my part and I get a 4 star rating, I keep that Guest's name on file and I won't accept a future reservation from that Guest. I've named that file "Guests who just can't be pleased", I just won't risk them lowering my star ratings. I've turned down 2 former Guests in the last 6 months, who wanted to re-book, but because they gave me 4 stars in the past, for no good reason, I delcined their request. Just thought you might want to know that you might be turned down for a future reservation from a Host like me who HAS gone the "extra mile" and yet you only gave 4 stars too. So there might be a place you really enjoyed staying, but because you gave them lower star ratings, they won't accept you in the future. Also, I'm part of a little "short term rental" community in my area (I'm on many sites, not just here on Air) and us Hosts get together and we exchange notes on "problem Guests" and/or Guests who leave lower ratings... again, ONLY if there was no good reason, so you could be "blacked balled" from other Hosts in that area as well. 

Hope I'm not coming off too harsh, but I thought you might want to view it from another Host's prespective. That stated, I know that I'm not the norm when it comes to Hosts. I'm fairly "tough" as a Host and don't put up with a lot of "nonsense" (such as undeserved 4 star ratings) from Guests, as we have strict rules about short term rentals in my area, and it's very easy to lose our license and our good standing. Also, we've put a lot of money into this venture and while it's paying off, we remain vigilant regarding Guest selection and won't accept re-bookings from past "hard to please" Guests.

Anyhow, just another viewpoint...

Thanks again for your comment.