Dirty Guests

JennieLee0
Level 2
Shanghai, China

Dirty Guests

The guests checked out and left my home in super dirty condition. They stayed one month but never throw away rubbishs. The house cleaning service charged triple price in order to set the home back in order.

As host, I have to pay extra cleaning fee but Airbnb help center claim representive did not help to charge back those extra cleaning fee in the reason only damange could be claimed.

Due to the extreme dirty condition, the next guest who arrived at the same day was super annoyed as the room was not ready by the check in hour. As host, also return the whole night fee to the next guest as apologize.

How to deal with such loss if Airbnb did not help host? Did you have any idea?  Or charge extra deposit off-line? (Both reject **guest is not against Airbnb no discrimination policy, charging extra deposit is against Airbnb rules) What could the loss be avoided in future?

**[Title updated]

8 Replies 8
Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@JennieLee0  You can request money from the guests if extra cleaning is needed. There is an Extra service category when you request money. Check on that and attach the picture of your extra cleaning fee invoice. You may also need to submit the photo evidence to show why extra cleaning is needed.

But nobody can guarantee you that you will get the payment. It is worth to try though.

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@JennieLee0 

If they stayed a month and depending on the size of the place, I'd think it isn't practical  to take a back to back booking. You might have blocked a day out in advance, if it were possible.

You can consider as some ideas; restricting guests length of stay to prevent long term clients , perhaps  charging a higher cleaning fee, to be part refunded on departure after inspection as an incentive. Mandatory weekly cleaning service for longer term bookings (for a fee) ,  no monthly discount fee ( you have 10 per cent off for example as a discount in one of your five listings.) No point in a discount if you are losing money post visit. All this is retrospective of course, so unless you have ongoing issues with your guests culture then maybe to put it down as a one off lesson learned.

Keep in mind airbnb isn't a flexible enough platform for setting conditions for long term bookings.

As far as gettting the resolution centre involved, airbnb often see it as a 'dispute' between guest and host, and it's easy for them to file it as too bad, cost of business, jog on. However, one of the booking conditions is - 

11.1 As a Guest, you are responsible for leaving the Accommodation (including any personal or other property located at the Accommodation) in the condition it was in when you arrived.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @JennieLee0, I’m Quincy, a Community Manager in the Community Center.

I’m sorry to hear about your experience, I understand that it’s frustrating when your home hasn’t been treated the way it should. With that said, I just want to clarify that our policy doesn’t allow for discrimination based on race, ethnicity, national origin, religious affiliation, disability, gender or sex. Every person is unique, and it’s important to keep an open mind when welcoming guests.

I hope this clarifies. 

Quincy 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Natalie755
Level 2
Berlin, Germany

@JennieLee0 

hi  there I am having a similar issue where my flat looks like a Bomb exploded, the guest touched / moveD or worst used my clothes, never cleaned the apartment  while staying or before leaving, left the trash in the kitchen, and also forget a window opened And some electronic appliance on. She is absolutely not returning our called / text and we started a “refund” process through the resolution center but no one ever got back to me.

so I am following up to see if anyone faced a similar issue and what happened...or if anyone has something to suggest. I cannot get on  hold to Airbnb, I cannot find any number, and they are ignoring me since a week.

thanks 

@Natalie755 In the grand scheme of things, considering the times and the reality that Airbnb is swamped with 'issues' as a direct result of Covid-19, and the fact nothing earth-shattering happened,  it may serve you well to learn from the experience (aka think of ways to lessen the probability of this happening again) and move on.  

Hi Fred well you did not really see the status my apartment looked like  (is my place is not a second property I rent out), and moreover I really don’t wanna end up paying out of my pocket for extra cleaning and on top, during the given times I really hate to had to clean / send out for professional cleaning and paying this out of my pocket, all of my clothes there a guest was not really supposed to touch or use.

the rules for my place are there to be respected, and Airbnb get some money in order to be there in case of need, otherwise I really don’t know what are we paying for. Am I right?

i wish i could get some useful tips rather then a “move on “(nothing personal)...

....and also as a guest I assumed I at least deserve an email or some clarification about what I can / can’t do.

thanks 

Of course it merits addressing it with the guest and it is only fair to do so, but taking it up with Airbnb as the situation is now with them, is an invitation to a heart attack IMHO. My instincts is also to think of ways this doesn't happen again to such a lovely place. Good luck.