Disappointing Airbnb Plus Photos

Barclay0
Level 2
New York, United States

Disappointing Airbnb Plus Photos

I received my Airbnb Plus photos after waiting a number of months and I'm sort of disappointed by the quality. My friend who shoots interiors for magazines like AD was nice enough to take ours and we don't want to replace them with meh photos we're forced to have. Some photos are super random and the ones we are fine with are nothing like we have now. Also, after reading disappointment after disappointment about the Airbnb Plus program it's not sounding as interging as it did at first and I'd almost rather stay as a normal listing with just Superhost status. I'd hate to switch and get a lower amount of bookings defeating the purpose of the program. Is there a way to reject all/most of Airbnb's photos and make a case to keep mine? I'd love to hear if there is and/or if people think this program is worth it. 

18 Replies 18
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Barclay0

No you can't reject the photos, you do loose control over much of your listing and it's description. You can however hit the opt-out button and escape from what is a poorly designed concept.

Barclay, mate, you are a Superthost with 70 odd great reviews, your guests love you! Why would you want to cheapen all that effort you have put in to be lumped in with hosts who have less than a handful of reviews, hosts who cancel guests reservations , hosts who didn't want to climb to the top the way you have with hard work, they thought it was more appropriate to buy their way there.

Airbnb have had a rather dismal 20% uptake on this Plus thing they thought they were bugeting for, they have now dropped the $150 entry fee and someone surely must be scratching their heads wondering how they ever allowed this to happen!

Barclay, get on with what you do so well, and leaving the dreaming to the dreamers! 

Cheers.....Rob

Barclay0
Level 2
New York, United States

@Robin4, thanks so much for your reply Rob. Means a lot. Seeing a lot of similar replies to yours below. I don't see much upside to this program. The only upside I'm seeing was Airbnb expressing I could make $800 more a month, which I think is a completely random number and I don't see happening. I doubt I'd make even $100 more a month. Thanks again, and to everyone on this thread. 

It sounds like Rob answered this question, but thank you both for your insight b/c you've answered my questions! I first read about the Plus program today,and I was intrigued because the only requirements we lack are cable for our TV (we've never had cable, just wifi, so we tell our guests to enjoy the outdoors - haha), and I suppose a pristine finish to every surface b/c we have a few imperfections here and there. Maybe it will be improved as time goes on, but based on what you both are saying, I think we'll stick with Superhost status for the time being!

Thanks again, and cheers-

Erik

Mackenzie and I are the same as you. We don't like the idea of being forced to have a TV which takes away from our home experience and the experience of the area of the home. Curious to see how Airbnb rethinks Airbnb Plus or they just drop it all together. Best of luck to you!

Magda14
Level 2
Carolina, Puerto Rico

I am also disappointed with the Plus photos. We have an ocean front aoartment and there is not One photo that shows the Caribbean blue waters. I tried and tried, emailed, called and emailed again. They refuse to fix the blue which is gray in the photo. Also refuse to change the cover photo they selected a Sofa instead of the ocean view. We are evaluating if opt out. Maybe they drop the program all together and fire the genius that suggested this program. Just hope so. 

Barclay0
Level 2
New York, United States

Just took a look at your place. Looks beautiful, but I see what you mean with the lack of photoraphy showing the ocean view that is noted in the title of the listing. Hope everything works out for you!

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Barclay0, take a look at this post from a few weeks ago and maybe check in with Elizabeth on this?  https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Airbnb-Plus-Dont-Do-It/m-p/900950

That lady got it spot on

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

I've seen this disappointment in the Plus photos and the entire program expressed so many times on this forum. If and when the program is ever offered in my rural area, I would certainly not participate! The photos and the loss of control seem to be enough to be discouraged from participating. 

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

I also opted out it's made no difference, my photo's are 10 times better than the ones they took and they tell you what photo's you can have and you cannot change them.

I would imagine you would have a lot more trouble with guest who booked Airbnb PLUS

Larissa112
Level 8
Boulder, CO

We had a similar experience with our photos and have decided to opt out before we even officially joined.  I went back and forth with AirBnB several times re: the quality of the "professional photos" and asked for a re-shoot but they said the photos were on brand and what they wanted to see in a Plus listing...and no they won't let you use any of your own photos, even if they are better than the new ones. 

To be frank, the photos we received were not good.  They were boring and random and didn't highlight the home, they made it look drab and missed out on alot of the amenities we provide.  They were edited super weird too, some were really washed out and white and some had this weird yellow hue. I understand that Plus wants consistency in photos throughout the platform, but this should also mean there is some quality control in there...I have seen Plus listings with amazing photos, but it seems like a whole bunch of hosts are receiving sub par photography with no option for a re-shoot.  

Also, @Barclay0 your cabin is beautiful!  

Barclay0
Level 2
New York, United States

Just took a look at your place and it's beautful and your photos are perfect. I know exactly what Airbnb gave you and like my place I don't think they fit to the house's aesthetic. I think it means a lot more for guests to see how the host captures the house and how how they want the vibe for the guests to be. Airbnb Plus makes it generic and blah. Glad to hear another taking the route to pass.

By the way, just saved your place for when we get back to Cannon Beach :-).

Thank you! I saved yours too!  Our cabins should be friends! 😉