Discounts

Richard529
Level 8
Honolulu, HI

Discounts

Can I have a discount for/because:   Im local, its a short stay, its a long stay, Im a student, Im a senior, Im (___insert profession__),  Its a last minute booking, Im booking far out, my budget is  _____, because its too expensive, hotels are cheaper, everyone else is cheaper, Im also a host, its the weekday, its the weekend, Im visiting because of a death in the family, Im visiting for a wedding, Im visiting for a medical procedure, I will be working during the day, ETC.....

This culture of discounts and being cheap needs to stop!  All hosts I speak to are saying the same.  Pricing doesnt matter anymore.  Guests are now telling us what they will pay.  I just tell them this isnt Priceline.com.  I also ask guests if they ask the airlines for a discount.  That question has never been answered but I know the answer anyways.   But really, its way out of control and Airbnb needs to do a better job educating guests.  What are we supposed to do, just give it away and they would still complain.

Airbnb also needs to find a way to present listings in a way that guests dont have to click so many times to view a listings description, amenities and house rules.  Guests are not reading listings anymore.  They just look at a picture and fire of questions that are answered in the listing.

Just saying.  Sorry...not sorry!

5 Replies 5
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Richard529 

Richard, take control of your listing description!

I do not offer up-front discounts, even if it's Brian Chesky everyone pays full price  here.

Now that's not to say I don't give discounts, I do but, I will assess at the end of the stay what discount may be appropriate in the form of a refund. 

Too many hosts have been stiffed into being paid a 15-30% discount for a 6 night stay because the guest chose to terminate their 14 night stay after 6 nights and been refunded the remainder of their stay at the day rate they paid!

Someone asking for a discount is a massive red flag to me, if you expect me to give you a special deal before you even set foot on the property......you are dreaming!

Richard, stand by your listing description and delete any reference to discounts, I do and here is my current April booking calendar......

Current April calendar.png

Why on earth would I want to offer a discount when I am already fully booked month after month?

Stick to your guns and keep on offering the service you do for the price you ask, if that's not good enough, then you don't need their booking!

Cheers........Rob

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Richard529 You forgot - "I am a cheapskate" - meaning do not mind groveling to save a few miserable dollars. 🙂

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Richard529 the people who ask for discounts are 9 times out of 10, problem guests. They are doing you a favor by letting you know up front. 

I always respond with "Due to our current availability we are unable to offer any discounts at this time. If we don't meet your budget, I am happy to recommend some great hosts in the area who may. Let me know if you would like me to direct you to their listings. Thanks!"

ETA, I checked out your listing. RAISE YOUR PRICES. Seriously, you will weed out some of these asks. We started out really low to test the waters and it was a huge mistake. 

Danielle513
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

This early in the new year, I've had two separate parties reach out and request a discounted rate.  I've been hosting long enough to know to avoid these people.  My rates are very reasonable, well below what a hotel or even a motel would cost.  

@Laura2592 thank you for the language above.  I'm going to use it the next time I get a discount request.

Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

I don’t do discounts for new guests.  I direct guests looking for a discount to use the filters on the site… you can toggle for minimum to maximum price.

However, I do “reward” stellar guests with a discount if they return.