Early arrivals

Cindi0
Level 7
Bowen Island, Canada

Early arrivals

I am growing increasingly weary of some guests' expectations. Lately (as in right now) it's about arrival. The lisiting details and confirmation are clear that check-in is at 3pm. In addition, I send my own 'Confirmation' message (highlighting the important details that I'm sure people didn't read) after the booking is confirmed, plus an 'Arrival' message regarding parking and check-in. My current guest did not respond to any of the messages. I was just getting ready to call her when I finally got a text...at 10:30am, saying they were "on their way"! I responded saying, "That's great. I will see you anytime after 3pm". She replied, "what is the earliest we can check in?" I replied, "anytime after 3pm is fine". Then I gave them some suggestions for things to do (I live on an island and it's a beautiful day). Cleaning and preparing, floors washed, soaps/shampoos, etc filled, hot tub vacuumed.. and I look outside at 2:30pm to see them in the driveway. I am writing this now, at 6 minutes to 3pm, at which time I will answer the door. This is SO annoying (mostly becuase it isn't the first time I've had people just expect to show up in the morning). 

56 Replies 56

Thank you all for this. I had no idea the Manual was not visible. I decided to offer breakfast to my guests (arriving today) as this is clearly my error. I also removed the "breakfast" amenity and will adjust the listing details accordingly. I worry it will reduce my bookings, as there is a lot of competition where I live and I think having breakfast (and a hot tub) gives me a slight advantage. We shall see! 

Hello Cindi,

I offer a continental breakfast the first morning of a guests stay, it is a DIY breakfast provided in their mini fridge, fresh fruit, homemade granola, yogurt, perrier. I make homemade scones that morning and tell them they will be left for them outside their studio at 9:00. I'm not sure what your situation is, in otherwords if your guests are in your home or have a private entrance, I have a private entrance for them. In my description I explain what is provided, and when I welcome my guests I mention the scones or bread or whatever. I can't bake that morning, I leave slices of artisan bread, butter and jam in the kitchenette. And of course there is a toaster.

I have hosted for over four years, for the first three years I offered a three course champange breakfast the first morning, it was very fun but also time consuming. Now for $60 guests can request this extra service if they would like it!

Cindi0
Level 7
Bowen Island, Canada

Similar to you, I lay out a breakfast for them by 9am with fresh (baked that morning) muffins & homemade preserves, homemade yogurt, fruit salad, orange/mango juice, homemade granola, a hard boiled egg from my chickens per person, and freshly brewed fair trade organic coffee. It isn't champagne, and I have prep down to 50 minutes, but it gets rave reviews. Mostly, I think, because there is attention to wholesome and organic. I even put out hemp, flax, and chia seeds. I have only had guests decline my breakfast twice. I like your DIY idea, though. I only just started hosting mid-week as I work outside the house and I don't like having people in my home when I'm not here. (I am at home now) When I opened the calendar, I reduced the weekday rate to account for the lack of breakfast. But it really only amounts to $15-20. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Cindi0somehow we don't have many early check-in requests but we have late check-ins. They book and inform us they will arrive after 10 Pm... hope that's not a problem. Well it is, especially because 10 often becomes 11, and we are off-site hosts ,

If the booking is for 3+ nights then maybe... otherwise no, sorry I am in pajamas already 🙂

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

You’re lucky @Branka-and-Silvia0 @if 2200 and 2300 is a time line. If I was you, I’d go inside and make yourself comfortable..... seriously!

@Cindi0.

Checking is always an issue. If guests want to arrive or leave 6- 12 hours either side of the expected time, then I send them the offer of the early check in or departure at a half days rate. If between an 1 or 1.5 hours, I negotiate on a case by case basis. I now do not have same day turn around check in, so the pressure has been removed. If I receive a request for that day, I make the decision on a number of issues.

Food requirements

In your confirmation email, make a subtle change. State that if you do not hear back from the guest No later than 48 hours from check in, then you will deem there is no dietary restrictions, for weekend meals. (You could consider cereal bars etc for week days if cooking is a concern). But ensure guests know what they can and cannot have. If they can boil water for coffee, tea, or two minute noodles etc. As a guest, that is importantany time restrictions etc, even for weekdays.

By the way, if regularly hosting and getting changes to dietary requirements, consider buying some gluten free products or long life milk soy products and individually store or freeze them.

Hope this helps.

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

@Cindi0, I have the same problem. My check in time is from 8 PM. “Late arrivals” is mentioned in the title! And still I get inquiries and even requests stating they are arriving at midday or in the morning. Personally I start feel uncomfortable with such guests from the beginning. They are not able to read at all! And I like your answer: “any time after 3”. Hope they are not coming at 2-3 AM after that:) 

Nathan233
Level 3
Melbourne, Australia

@Cindi0 I hear ya. I reckon about 50% of my guests ask about an early check-in. I used to oblige where possible but then realised I would not be getting any ‘thank yous’ for it and am just stressing myself out with short turnarounds.

Recently had a couple demand a 9am check-in to which I obliged as my guest from the night before is a regular and knew she always leaves at 8 o’clock. Get up early, rush to get everything ready by 9am and the couple doesn’t show until 3pm anyway as ‘they were hungry’. Longest breakfast ever. 

Or at the opposite end, allow a guest to check in at 10am but he shows up at 9:30am when I’m still cleaning. My husband happens to be out the front and couldn’t do anything but to let them in. Should have seen the thunder on this guest’s face when I said I’m still to vacuum his room.

Neither of them thank us, let alone write a review. So I’m now not even getting into the negotiation any longer. 3 O’clock and no earlier. 

I’m thinking about adding an early check-in fee to my house rules. I reckon that as we are budget accomodation that might deter anyone from asking/just showing up when is convenient for them? Has anyone tried this?

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

If my room is available and I'm around to let them in, so be it. I'm not about to cut my nose off despite my face just to 'win'.

Life's too short and I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt, ie. that they're nice. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Gordon0 

I am with you mate, why alienate someone when it serves no useful purpose. If I am here I will check them in. If I am not they have the key-box code, the cottage will be warm, or cool and everything ready for them. The light out the front will be on, the sign at the gate and we will be expecting them.

I have had guests check-in at 2.00am, that's cool, they have paid for the night up to that point, I don't have an issue. We are in the hospitality industry but some hosts don't see it that way. I have even seen hosts here who kick the guest out the front door at 9.00am and don't let them back in until 5.00pm.....what th!

If it doesn't suit the host, easy, don't host!

Cheers.....Rob

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Cindi0  My check in window is 3pm to 9pm with check out by 11am.  I make it very clear to any potential guest who wants to check in at 10pm or 11pm that that is not acceptable as by that time I am tired, grumpy and in my pyjamas.  

However, I get a lot of guests who are arriving on long haul flights into Heathrow because of  my location - midway between the airport and the centre of London.  These flights tend to arrive quite early in the morning and I allow an earlier check in for these guests if required.  I don't do same day change overs any more so the room is cleaned and ready anyway and as I am a "live in" host I am usually here and available to let them in.  As far as I am concerned, flexibility is a vital tool for successful hosting and if  somebody has travelled 10,000 miles from Australia to stay here I am not going to leave them sitting on their luggage on the garden path until the clock strikes 3.   

And Rachel I know that feeling! Arriving early from Oz, driving the rental car down to the coast for some fresh air on the face... and doing our best to kill time as well as stay awake till a 2-3pm check in... not pleasant, not pretty. 

So on behalf of the jet lagged, I thank you! 💐

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

@Cindi0   We have three flights that come to our city. Two of which arrive between 01:00 and 03:00. So if I want guests I have to be willing to let them in at those times. Comes with the job. But, when the book for Tuesday and then inform me that they will arrive at 02:00 on Tuesday.  No! You have to book the day before!!  And then comes the late check out question.. my flight doesn't leave until 01:00. That's nice, check out is at noon. If they give me notice and are polite then I'll let them pay for half a day with them leaving at 23:00. But seriously?? I have this conversation with almost half of the guests. Admittedly most of my guests are young ,first time users but really have they no idea how things work? Or are they just trying to get an extra night for free?  

Beth, I also do half day rates for the dawn and midnight flights. Checkouts at 11pm deserve some payment as you can’t rent it for the night. Impossible to start cleaning effectively for a turn around in the night.... nor that necessary.

Hi @Cindi0,

here my 2 cents:

- take the key lessons from your hosting so far

- anything that really bothers you or came up more than once in that list should be addressed as follows:

1. Put it into the introduction of your listing

2. Create a bullet point list on Powerpoint or alike and save it as picture to add it into the pictures section

3. Put your most important pieces of info in the first paragraph of your booking confirmation.

(optional)4. If you have a feel for a "special" guest, address the issues similar guests might have had in a direct message. E.g. We live on third floor (no elevator) so I point out this fact to any person above 50 within the first 48 h of booking, so they have the chance to cancel with no sanctions in case they didn' t read that in the listing.

Hope that helps.

All the best,

Dominic

Barry-and-Lera0
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

@Cindi0: A couple things you can try.

1. If you have a very important rule for your rental make it into a "picture" and put it in the middle of your photos for the listing. Maybe the top 3 house rules as one picture. Another picture would be your check-in and check-out times. Most people don't seem to read the description but will go through the pictures.

2. We send a check-in email to guests roughly three (3) days before arrival. We found that sending it months ahead of time doesn't work because people forget, lose or delete the email etc. We ask that they reply back that they received it. Generally this is where we hear. "Oh can we check-in early?". Sometimes it is possible and other times it is not. At least the guest is aware before showing up.