Early arrivals

Cindi0
Level 7
Bowen Island, Canada

Early arrivals

I am growing increasingly weary of some guests' expectations. Lately (as in right now) it's about arrival. The lisiting details and confirmation are clear that check-in is at 3pm. In addition, I send my own 'Confirmation' message (highlighting the important details that I'm sure people didn't read) after the booking is confirmed, plus an 'Arrival' message regarding parking and check-in. My current guest did not respond to any of the messages. I was just getting ready to call her when I finally got a text...at 10:30am, saying they were "on their way"! I responded saying, "That's great. I will see you anytime after 3pm". She replied, "what is the earliest we can check in?" I replied, "anytime after 3pm is fine". Then I gave them some suggestions for things to do (I live on an island and it's a beautiful day). Cleaning and preparing, floors washed, soaps/shampoos, etc filled, hot tub vacuumed.. and I look outside at 2:30pm to see them in the driveway. I am writing this now, at 6 minutes to 3pm, at which time I will answer the door. This is SO annoying (mostly becuase it isn't the first time I've had people just expect to show up in the morning). 

56 Replies 56
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Cindi0 

I am impressed that you are doing everything correctly.

You are keeping control and forcing guests to respect your home.

All you need now is to change your attitude.

Don't be pissed or feel rushed when guests arrive early. 

Think "How nice, the guests have kindly come early.  I can check them in immediately when I am ready"

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Cindi0 , I agree with @Paul154. If the guest asks what is the earliest they can check in or arrive early: "Wonderful! I will have the space guaranteed ready to you by 3pm but will let you know if it is any earlier, which it likely will be. In the meantime, there is a great sandwich shop up the street. Feel free to drop your bags off and you might find me inside finishing up. I would love to meet you!"

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Emilia42 

I like that Emilia, I might have to remember that.....nice friendly, but decisive response.

Good on you!

Cheers.....Rob 

I have a 3PM checkin time and if the apartment is ready earlier I message the guests such. Have had series of guests requesting earlier check in and I have busted my hump to get the apartment ready as early as possible. Right now waiting on a guest that wanted early check in early (10AM). I messaged them at noon to let them know the apartment is ready. Its now 4PM and no response or guest. This is the last time I am bothering to do an early check in. 3PM or after is check in. See you when you get here after 3

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Early or late check-in-or-out issues is one of the reasons I decided to go with 1 day prep time. The vast majority of my guests are flying in from various parts of the world, so their flight could arrive at 7:30 AM, or 5 PM. Most then usually take the bus, an hour's journey, to my town. I pick most up at the bus stop, a 5 minute drive from my house. To drop their luggage off at my place and then go back to town until some check-in time hours away would entail them either taking a taxi from town and back again, me picking them up and driving them back, or them walking 20 minutes with their luggage. There aren't any cafes a block away where they can hang out, my place is rural. As well, most have been traveling for several hours, gotten up early- all they want to do is relax, unpack, shower, maybe have a cup of coffee or tea, and then go out when they've rejuvenated.

I am lucky to have the freedom to arrange my schedule to accomodate this, as I work from home and am self-employed. I realize this wouldn't suit many hosts, due to work schedules, cleaner scheduling, being off-site, or wanting to have back-to-back bookings to make as much money as possible, etc. but if you think maybe you could be more flexible with check-in and out times, it sure cuts down on problems in this area. 

So my check-in, check-out is 11AM to 11 PM, and almost all guests do arrive during that time period. I currently have a guest who let me know her flight was getting in at 7:30 AM, but she respectfully said she realized that was long before check-in time and that she would busy herself in town in the interim. I told her it was fine, it would take an hour from the airport to town and I'd happily pick her up when I got her call. Had she simply told me she would be at my house at 9, expecting me to accommodate that, I'd likely have reiterated that check-in was after 11AM and that she should call me at that time to arrange a ride from wherever she was.

I.e. guest actually reads the check-in info and respects that, I'm willing to make it easier for them.

Way to go @Sarah977! plus you are lucky to be working from home...

I wish..... 

Kira32
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

Hello @Cindi0

I would recommend to put this information on your description after the title and in your profile. 

Kira♡

Cindi0
Level 7
Bowen Island, Canada

Some really great feedback and tips from the pros! I have been hosting for several years, and find I am actually becoming more rigid as opposed to more flexible as time goes on. I used to say yes to every request, all the almighty review. And then the review would not be as stellar as the service I provided. I don't have  travellers arriving from flights or long journeys, and I do appreciate where that would require more flexibility. My island is a 20 minute ferry ride, and most of my guests are locals looking for an island getaway.

My guests from the weekend have checked out; they were absolutely lovely. What started this thread was the presumption ("we're on our way") at 10am, with no advance discussion, despite my check-in communication. A few weeks ago I, myself, had a conflict meeting a guest for check-in time, so *I* offered to let her come early as they were in a workshop and not flexible. I received the worst review from them I had ever had since hosting. 

Thank you, Community! 

Delia6
Level 4
Aptos, CA

You are being taken advantage of it seems to me. So to curtail that I would add a note in reference to an early check in or late check out charge. Then when guests request one or the other you can remind them of the charge and ask them if they would like you to alter the reservation. It isn't polite of guests to show up early, who would show up to a dinner invitation an hour early for goodness sakes!

Good luck!

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

When you tell people that check-in is 3PM at the earliest, be sure to explain that you are busy preping the room after the last guest checks out at noon or whenever. You have to prep the room just like hotels do. And when people ask to stay longer, tell them that you have another guest (whether you do or don't) checking in at 3. Tell them that it takes you about 3 hours to clean and prep the room. If they say "I saw that your calendar was empty for today" then tell them that it's a relative or somebody from outside of the Airbnb system that is checking in.

I had one come overnight on a flight so I said ok to early check in. Then they stayed over an extra day and apologized for the misunderstanding but did not offer to pay. I’ve starting inquiring as to what time in the morning they are leaving so I can schedule the cleaning service as a gentle reminder

Why would you not be able to charge them for the extra day? Did you try the resolution center?

@David2555 @Cindi0 

😧 Then they stayed over an extra day and apologized for the misunderstanding but did not offer to pay.

C: Why would you not be able to charge them for the extra day? Did you try the resolution center?

Even better than that:

Check out section 8.22 Here: Terms specific for Guests

Full details on overcharge fees for guests. (Up to 200% of rate).

If you stay past the agreed upon checkout time without the Host's consent (“Overstay”), you no longer have a license to stay in the Accommodation and the Host is entitled to make you leave in a manner consistent with applicable law. In addition, you agree to pay, if requested by the Host, for each twenty-four (24) hour period (or any portion thereof) that you Overstay, an additional nightly fee of up to two (2) times the average nightly Listing Fee originally paid by you to cover the inconvenience suffered by the Host, plus all applicable Guest Fees, Taxes, and any legal expenses incurred by the Host to make you leave

Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

This is just another example of people not believing the rules apply to them and that somehow they are "special". They also flat out just Do. Not. Read.

Like you, I have it in my listing that guests are welcome to check in after 5 pm.  And my automatic welcome message reiterates this when they book. I learned early on that people will try to come basically whenever they feel like it no matter how often you say it.  When I first started, I was reading up on how ABB expects us to bend over backwards for guests and as such I would allow people to be "exceptions" and come early. I needed reviews before I could be fussy. I also found that people who get you to make that first exception are often more demanding overall and try to get you to make other exceptions for them down the road.

So once I had my first dozen reviews, I decided that I could afford to be a bit less flexible.  The key is how you convey it to the guest. 

If you just say, "Check in is at 5. Sorry." the guest is going to feel like you aren't being accommodating.  But if you say something along the lines of, "I wish I could but I have a prior engagement and I won't be home until close to 5 to let you in. I'm sorry", it lends the feel that you'd LIKE to accommodate them but external forces are preventing you from doing so. 😉 

I make it a point to touch base with my guests the morning of the reservation to confirm arrival times and let folks know where to park, etc. In my case, I have essentially a duplex and I have a programmable lock box like realtors use. So, my morning greeting typically goes like this:

"Good Morning!  I am looking forward to meeting you today. I will be putting the lock box out today when I arrive home from work after 4:30 pm. (A polite way of saying no one is available to let you in early, even though I am actually home.) As I change the code for each guest, I will message you with the new code when I put the box out this afternoon. (Again, you can't get in if you come early so don't bother trying). Do you happen to have an ETA for your arrival?  Please park in the first space on the left as you arrive. There is a sign for guest parking and this puts you right in front of the steps to the guest suite. I hope you enjoy your stay and if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask."

Ever since I've started proactively messaging my guests in this way, I have not had anyone ask for an early arrival. It doesn't make me look like I'm being deliberately inflexible, even though that is exactly what I'm doing.  😉

Helen444
Level 3
Hutto, TX

Cindi, the last time I had a client try that I told them there was a per hour fee for early check in. solved that problem fast. But he also neglected to give a review.

Helen Harrison-Markow