Eco friendly airbnb

Petrina3
Level 10
Sapphire Beach, Australia

Eco friendly airbnb

i just wanted to tell you all about my latest venture into reducing my footprint on this planet. i am an avid  eco  friendly host and use eco friendly products in my airbnb. My most recent contribution is supporting an equally environmentally friendly old school mate who runs a business called "Fifteen trees" here in Australia.

Her initiative was to encourage airbnb hosts to become more sustainable and plant trees for them and  the guests that they host.There is a small cost to buy the trees and they are then planted and the host gets featured on her site with a link back to the trees that are planted on their behalf and also a PDF poster  that can be displayed in your airbnb outlining your support.

She has already planted thousands of trees by connecting with other businesses for a  "Greener" Australia

If any other Australian hosts would like to support Colleen and her great work please look her up or let me know if you are interested and I can pass on your details to her. I know we are are not allowed to post links here.

I know she has contacted airbnb Australia to see if they are interested in supporting this.

12 Replies 12

@Petrina3  Fabulous idea, I do hope Airbnb will support it . There is a similar idea in nyc, a million trees. It doesn't work in quite the same way but has the same objective: trees.  The more the better in my opinion.  And another one in the Amazon – before it's too late. https://www.coolearth.org/   

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Petrina3, what a great idea! I am also an eco-friendly host and have been thinking that I should put something along those lines on my listing (eco-friendly cleaning products, minimal use of plastic, etc.). I am a big believer of giving back to the planet so I will most definitely be looking up your friend's venture. Thanks for sharing 🙂

Jasmine103
Level 2
Boone, NC

We are eco friendly hosts in Boone NC.    I think that means something to less than 1/2 of the people we host.    I often clean out the trash cans from the room and recycle things...even though we have a sweet sign posted.   It makes me happy to care.

I think AirBnB should have an ECO FRIENDLY category.  I get sick at all the plastic and throw aways guests have.  I'd like my guests to know BEFORE they come what our ECO FRIENDLY expectations are so they might think a moment at food take out and refuse the straw and paper napkins, etc.  

Brilliant idea! I hope you have success with it over there. Ireland is very slow on the recycling movement, people are apathetic to resources compared to when I lived in Australia. We are having water restrictions imposed here and no one is taking it seriously. Mind you it rains for nine months but there is such a lot of leakage.

I have been informing my guests about the restrictions and most are great, but the U.S guests are not really heeding the advice, I have one that is showering like we are in the tropics. I am turning up the tv as the sound of 20 min showers is upsetting me! I will just grit my teeth and be thankful it is not a long stay. Might put up a note in the rooms to induce some guilt.

Lili69
Level 2
Nelson, New Zealand

Hi Eco warriors !

I am so glad to have found other like minded people that want to host in a sustainable and planet friendly way . My husband and I only use environmentally friendly cleaning products, encourage guests to compost , recycle , we provide environmentally safe grocery bags for shopping , free guests bikes for getting around etc . We have written to air b n b several times asking them

to bring in an Eco Badge so travellers can choose green homes and environmentally aware hosts when they travel . It would be a box you can tick in the filter search - how amazing would that be !!!! Please let’s start a green movement and get this going . Our planet needs us to care ! 

Lili and Dave 

Hi Lili and Dave,

We are in Bali. We've been also trying to be more eco-friendly, step by step...as we know that small steps matter. We believe that travellers also would be happy to support any listings/houses that support it.

We've doing composting from kitchen waste (in corporation with third party), using some re-fill products instead of buying plastic sachets/containers, not placing single use plastic water bottle in each rooms, etc.

Eco Badge would be great...it will stimulate other hosts to be more eco-friendly!

Cheers!

Dewi

John1850
Level 2
Blaenau Ffestiniog, United Kingdom

Great Idea. In UK we are a bit slow.   Gov  keeps cutting grants. We went to ..powered totally by renewables about 4 years ago. 7 years  with 3 Elec Car point incl Tesla.   Yet air have no way of seperating us from the others.  

Mary-and-Ben0
Level 7
Boulder, CO

I just gave this feedback to airbnb. I recommend we all offer similar feedback here, https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback

What I said:

"Airbnb is not matching us with the guests who are looking for what we offer. We've had to cancel 10 guests in a row because they did not read the description of the place and were not aware that we're offering premium lodging for chemically sensitive individuals, and they were not prepared to comply with our needs on their end (fragrance free etc.) On the flip, the guests who do (often direly) need us report they have not found us on airbnb, but through other, difficult-to-use-and-rely-on means, like word-of-mouth and Facebook groups. Up to 20 percent of travelers will choose a fragrance-free, eco- and chemically-conscious lodging as their first choice. This is a huge market segment. I am aware that many people have asked you to bring back your search terms feature as this was very helpful to people looking for chemically-sensitive and eco-conscious lodging. another option would be to add a check box for hosts , 'Chemically sensitive, eco-conscious' or the like which would allow the guest to only view properties that are suitable for them. "

also, just FYI for forum members, we are preparing our home to be an EMF Sanctuary which will offer a low/safe EMF environment for the increasing numbers of us who are terribly EMF sensitive. Please let me know if you want to find out more information about our efforts in this regard. Love to all fellow lovers of Earth -- ❤️

Maree23
Level 3
Yungaburra, Australia

That sounds fantastic!  I'd love to support that.  Can you please message me her details or pass on mine to her. 

We're trying to make our Air BnB as eco chic as possible too.  Thanks for sharing this!

Julie1785
Level 2
Omaha, NE

Hello 🙂 I am a green blogger and am currently working on compiling a directory of this type of these types of lodging (fragrance-free, toxin-free, sustainable,etc). It will be on varying levels and each listing will include the areas in which they are going above and beyond. Please message me on my facebook page, gogreenmamas, if you host along these standards or have any in mind that you have stayed at. Thanks!

Hi Julie,

how can I find you on facebook?