Flexible stay length - Help

Rob69
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Flexible stay length - Help

Hi All,

I have a potential guest who's looking to book in January. He's moving to London and working nearby me.

He wants to book at mine while he looks for somewhere more permanent. He's said he'd like to stay for up to a month, but could be shorter if he finds somewhere permanent before hand.

What's the best way to handle/offer flexibilty on a booking like that? I guess he'd initally have to book for the maximum possible length? Then how would I handle a notice period within that booking? If the booking ended up being shorter, how would an adjustment to his charges be made?

TIA

4 Replies 4
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

He could submit a change request during his stay - which you would have to accept. You may find however that depending on your cancellation policy and the number of night he books and then actually stays that he is out of pocket. If you are happy to do so you can agree with him that you would then refund any night he did not use. However make sure he understands that Airbnb (not you) what still charge him for their fees for the entire stay. It's messy but the only thing I can suggest. Only other option is for him to book week by week and you close off your calendar and as each week nears an end you open up the following weekend for him to extend his existing booking

Thanks Gerry & Rashid. Good suggestions!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Personally I would not accept a guest who books for a month but may only end up staying a few days. 

It means you take all the risk, as you could be turning down bookings for the period, which he then cancels at the last minute, leaving you with your place unbooked and no income from it.

Maybe suggest he books with you for a week. Then if your place is still free he can book for another week. If not, he can stay somewhere else. That way neither of you lose out.

He can't have it both ways.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Rob69  If your guest is looking to book with you during a slow time when you don't expect many bookings, you could book the month which includes your 12% discount.  However if you usually have bookings for that period you could book the month and allow a refund only if you are able to rebook the space.  Then you both to share the risk more equally.